cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my next door neighbour get much better download speeds?

Westonian
Dabbler

Why does my next door neighbour get much better download speeds?

We are getting around 4.5 to 5 mb/s on our Plusnet broadband (Extra - up to 8MB/s).  I tested my line on BT's website and it stated: "Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps."
Over the last few days I have been helping the couple next door to set up their TalkTalk broadband. It is a standard broadband and homephone package, similar to our own. I ran my usual broadband speed test on their computer on two different days, and both times the result was over 11 mb/s.
I have retested my own connection at the same time of day, this time using a cable plugged direct into the router, instead of our wireless, and still get the same speeds of no more than 5 mb/s.
I can't understand why my neighbours are getting more than twice the speed. Can anyone explain this please?
20 REPLIES 20
dfunked
Grafter

Re: Why does my next door neighbour get much better download speeds?

Did the BT line test give any more details about ADSL2/ADSL2+ speeds?
Chances are your neighbours went straight on an ADSL2+ connection as they are a new customer, but you're still pending being switched over. The plusnet staff should be able to speed the process through if your line is capable...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Welcome to the Forum
The dreaded TT is more than likely a LLU (Local loop unbundled) connection, which does not use BT equipment in the exchange, its a completely different animal
your BT test indicates that you are not yet on a 21cn line and can not get ADSL2+ which gives the higher speed
Westonian
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies, I will see what I can find out later today as our road is just about to lose mains electricity supply for 4 hours!  Roll_eyes
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Westonian,
You won't get 11Mbps like your neighbours but you should get the most out of the up to 8Mbps. I've just ran a line check and your SNR is currently 14dB. We need to look at what caused that before we think of lowering it. How is your connection set up. Are you using any extension cables/sockets? Do you have a test socket you can plug into?
Jojo Smiley
Westonian
Dabbler

Hi Jojo
Thanks very much for your reply.
I am guessing that SNR stands for signal-to-noise ratio?  What is an acceptable figure for this and how bad is ours at 14dB?
As I understand it, our Thomson Gateway is connected, via a splitter, to the first phone socket into the house.  I am not sure at the moment about other phone extensions or a test socket, so will check with my husband asap and get back to you.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The significance of the noise margin depends on the sync speed.
If you are hitting the rated top speed then the higher the better.
If you aren't then 6dB is usually classed as the optimum on ADSL1
If you can post the full router stats - attenuation, noise margin and speeds we will have a better idea
Westonian
Dabbler

Thanks Oldjim.  I think I understand!  Please see attachment for the info you requested .... hope this is what you meant.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As your speed is just under the maximum of 7,616 kbps interleaved I suspect that your default noise margin has been increased to 9dB which seems to have given you a very stable line with virtually no errors.
You will note the very high number of error seconds. This number isn't reset unless the router reboots but may indicate that there were problems in the past which is probably why the default margin was increased.
With respect to the speed test results what is the IP profile reported by the BT speedtest and what is the Current Line Speed here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Westonian
Dabbler

The IP profile reported by the BT speedtest is 6Mbps and the Current Line Speed is 7Mb.
I have noticed that since posting to this forum all the speed tests I have run are coming in at just over 5 Mb/s, and the BT one reported 5.82.  All these numbers are better than we have had for some time, could plusnet have already made some changes?!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The BT profile is correct for your sync speed and I suspect that the Plusnet one is stuck (don't shout as it is helping).
I suspect that your sync speed has increased on the last resync and that has finally increased the BT profile (it can take 3 days on 20CN)
However your speed is still lower than it should be even with a 9dB noise margin.
Do you have a test socket - if so I recommend plugging the router into it (during the day) and report the stats again
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Westonian,
I agree with Jim, you would get a little more if the SNR was lower. It depends how much you want that little extra.
Jojo Smiley
Westonian
Dabbler

Sorry to be a bit dim, but not sure what a test socket is?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Westonian
Dabbler

Sorry for slow response - been out all day. Thanks for the link, looks very clear.  We'll try it asap and report back.