cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do my ping times change when I restart my PPPoE session?

xreyuk
Grafter

Why do my ping times change when I restart my PPPoE session?

Hi guys,
This isn't necessarily a problem, but I just want to understand why this happens.
I had to drop my PPPoE session the other day after ordering my static IP. Before rebooting, my ping times to bbc.co.uk, and my f8lure graph were averaging 27ms. After dropping and re-initiating the session, I noticed my ping times had dropped to an average of 21ms, which is a 28% difference. These pings were testing from the router itself, and my macbook connected via WIFi.
It ran like that for a couple of days, then today, I've needed to drop my session and reboot my router to make configuration changes (just router, not OR modem). After restarting the router my ping times had jumped back up to 26ms from the router, and 28ms from my Macbook. I tried dropping the PPPoE session again, did it a couple of times. Every time the ping times changed, and fluctuated between 23-27ms, before after the final session drop, it came back in at 22ms.
Can anyone explain why I see these changes just from dropping the session?
As a side question, does anyone know why my pings from my router interface are 21ms, but all of my devices are around 26ms (either wired or wireless?) when before rebooting my router all devices were pinging at the same levels as the router?
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Why do my ping times change when I restart my PPPoE session?

Hi Xreyuk,
Can anyone explain why I see these changes just from dropping the session?

A logical guess could be slight differences in routing due to perhaps connecting to different gateways each time you've reconnected.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
xreyuk
Grafter

Thanks Adam
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

My best gateway by far is pcl-bng02. Whenever I get an rogue disconnection I make sure that I get back to bng02. Lowest latency & best speeds. Smiley
xreyuk
Grafter

How do you know which gateway you are on?
I assume that when you get a disconnect, you just keep dropping the PPPoE connection until you get the gateway you want?
dick:quote