cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do PN Throttle between 1am & 7am on PRO packages ?

StuartUK35
Grafter

Why do PN Throttle between 1am & 7am on PRO packages ?

As per the title...
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
I'm somewhat puzzled as to why my throughput is averaging out at 1.1mb a sec (as in line speed running at 10mb)
To note, i am on FTTC value with PRO addon...
Irrelivant of what i am doing, the definitions all state line speed between those hours....  so if thats the case, my line speed would support downloading 1GB of data in under 5 mins.... 
Yet i average 1GB every 20 mins.....  Note the word average, as although i can download fast, its the constent stream of data that appears to be throttled...
Despite me paying for PRO and running my activity between 1am and 7am..
It might seem a pain me asking this, but if PN's reply states that those are busy times on the network, and traffic is regulated, then fair enough Smiley Smiley
If PN say the equipment just cant handle that kind of throughput at a consistent rate, then fair enough Smiley Smiley
If PN say thats just how it is, and all ISP's are allowed to $crew customers in someway or the other, then yeah, thats fair enough too !! hehe Smiley Smiley
Sometimes, its just nice to know a bit more info when.  I know that the guys peddling the dyno at the Exchange slack off between 1am and 7am, so i guess line speed drops due to those lazy gits! Smiley
In short, am just looking for some info, no matter how you answer it.  Theres nothing i can do about it, nor care, just more interested in the workings to be honest Smiley
8 REPLIES 8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Why do PN Throttle between 1am & 7am on PRO packages ?

What is it you are seeing the slower speeds on?
Just to add, there are no rate limits on Pro and you say that it is going faster at times, so that would suggest it's not limited. If it's P2P for instance, it would depend on the sources you were downloading from.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Unless the pro add on didn't get applied, it should be full speed at all times.  So could be the Host of the file/s that is capped or swamped with demand.
http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp2.php gives the attached
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The account is definitely set to pro on our traffic management.
TLE
Grafter

I was always under the impression that even with the pro addon, some services were still managed, however according to the link provided by Gus, they shouldn't be.
The following link seems to suggest that some are, which is correct?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The items shown as 'managed' are there because they aren't in the Titanium traffic queue, they don't have any rate limits but because they aren't in the highest priority queue then we have to show them as managed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
StuartUK35
Grafter

Duly noted about using P2P and relying on the sauce Wink  (ok, sources..)
However, if i pick, say a massive update file, or 10 of these files, which can equate to 5gb in file size, up from 400mb, and these files (relating to WoW) are high on the P2P Seeds/sharers ratio, then in theory, the intial blast will give me a high transfer rate of download, say for the first 20 or 30 minutes....
However, it levels out to be around 3GB an hour (10mb down) thereafter... The source/share ratio remains high, but based on 5 files at a top being downloaded, the speed balances out to 1.0 or 1.1mb a sec.....  Cant see it being the client that changes my speed, so falls down to a low Consistent throughput...
Its like squeezing a 2ltr bottle of coke hard and the sugary stuff comes blasting out, but your hands lose power/pressure after a bit so the sugary stuff still comes out, but at a more slower consistant rate..  (strange comparison hey! Cheesy Cheesy :D)
Not tried the same in peak times, as no need.....
oh well, not fussed, as said, was just seeking info on the Line Speed stuff Smiley Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

If it's P2P are you taking into account uploads throttling downloads?  The faster you upload the less you can download due to ACK's or whatever it is, had a terrible problem with that and FFXIV which used P2P and no way of restricting upload speeds, it would cap my upload speed leaving no room for me to actually download (in the end had to install software to throttle the upload of FFXIV!)
StuartUK35
Grafter

my connection rate down is 75mb
my up is 15mb
i cap my upload at 1mb Smiley Smiley Smiley
So the P2P client i use will do good speeds, but as said, it balances out after 20 or 30 mins (from doing 5mb a sec down to 1mb a sec) Smiley