Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I need engineer visit?

mcguinness58
Grafter

Why do I need engineer visit?

Hi everyone,
I was with Plusnet for about eight years then migrated over to another ISP on The Digital Region to Fibre because Plusnet did not offer it at the time. Due to TDR shutting down and my ISP shooting their prices up I have decided to move back to Plusnet.
I have an engineer coming on the 23rd to install my new connection and replace the BT master socket with a fibre enabled one? I want to know why this needs to be done when I have had fibre via TDR for the last two years?
Is the engineer from Plusnet or from BT? Plusnet tell me this service is free of charge but I have had issues in the past where a BT engineer has visited to repair a fault (a fault on BT's line before it entered the house) which we were told would be free and in the next months BT bill we had an engineer charge of £150!
I also explained to Plusnet that my broadband router is actually on a slave socket upstairs and not the master. They told me the engineer will have a 30m fibre extension kit to sort this out. What I don't want is the engineer to sling the the extension across the room up the stairs and into the bedroom as I have had this from Sky engineers in the past! Plusnet assure me that this will not be the case and if this does happen to report it straight away.
Any help will be appreciated and thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
xreyuk
Grafter

Re: Why do I need engineer visit?

Was The Digital Region FTTC or FTTP?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@mcguinness58
If the external fault on your line was not of your making - eg. if overhead, not caused by the line passing through your trees which you failed to maintain and that damaged the cable - then you should not have been charged £150.
You've implied that it was BT Retail that you were paying for Line Rental and if you paid that £150 without challenging it, then depending on how long ago, I would be tempted to contact them and challenge it now (even if you are no longer a customer).
With a Fibre install it should be an OpenReach engineer (or one of their sub-contractors - hopefully not!) who, apart from making sure you have the correct Master socket, will/should install the Data extension cable with RJ11 socket at your desired location and should be installed to your satisfaction. The cable run must obviously be a practical one and you should have the correct cable and not use "any" old cabling UNLESS it is to the required standard. The data extension cable has been generally a higher standard than standard CW1308 phone cable, although only 2-pair it has been to Cat5e standards.
The engineer should also carried out a full suite of tests at the master socket to ensure that the fibre connection is functioning correctly and that there are no problems on the cable from the Cab to your master socket. It should not just be a case of plugging in the modem, which he also supplies, and just looking at the sync speed which has been the case with a lot of the sub-contractors.
You could possibly have the modem installed (it's hung on the wall) next to the master socket - if you have a nearby power point, and then have an ethernet cable from there to your router upstairs (eg.if that's what you've already got in place).
HTH and gives a clearer picture of probably what to expect. Do ask if you have more questions, there are plenty here who've had Fibre installed that can give a lot more detail.
mcguinness58
Grafter

Hi
The Digital Region was FTTC which is why I don't understand an engineer needs to visit.
The slave socket is wired upstairs in standard telephone cable so do you know if this is suitable without having to put the extension cable in?
If I do need the extension cable the easiest way is for him to drill outside and clip up and accross and drill back entry into the bedroom where I would like the router.
Regards to the the charge from BT for the fault. The cable that came from the junction box at the top of the house was old two pair cable and was at least thirty years ago when my parents bought the house but this could have been a lot longer as it was already installed when they moved in.
I found the fault myself, it was old lead clips that had corroded  the cable at high level. The best thing was the engineer 're-used the same clips for the new cable he put in. I tried to fight the charge but they said it was down to damage on our part even though I needed a ladder to get up there.
Trying to contact BT via phone to a British call centre or letter is a nightmare!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What a ******* cheek re the cable. It was clearly life expired and was their problem. How long ago was this?
Re the FTTC install. Depends on how far you are from the cab, but standard telephone cable doesn't have as many twists per metre as the Cat5e standard and is so more vulnerable to picking up interference and will probably impact on the performance with resulting slower speed than you may otherwise get. But I've also heard that they are using standard cable on some installs.
If you were happy with the performance you had before, then maybe you could use the old cable.
But another consideration might be if your drop-wire passes down the same wall as the bedroom wall where you want the router, you may be able to persuade the engineer to re-route the drop-wire into the bedroom and relocate the Master socket and modem there and use the existing phone cable to take the phone back downstairs with an extension socket for phone there. Obviously the master socket would have to go exactly where the current slave is so you can use the existing wiring back downstairs.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

With regards to the need for an engineer visit, it's a bit of a tricky one.
Normally when you migrate from one provider to another, say BT to Plusnet, an engineer carried out some external work and that's about it to be honest.
Digital Region is completely different. As far as I know, the digital Region FTTC installation isn't covered by BT Openreach thus, BT want to ensure that you have everything you need by visiting the property to ensure that following the external work (moving your connection) that you're able to gain sync so you're able to connect.
to be honest, you'll probably find that no internal work is required but it's better to be safe that way. You won't be charged for the visit or for any work carried out as it's part of the installation that's covered within your Fibre contract.
mcguinness58
Grafter

Hi
Thanks for the replies. Regarding the problem with BT was about five years ago. The cable isn't clipped and secured properly because he used the old lead clips where he could and the cable droops.
Change over to Plusnet from Origin is today and I have been dreading that it doesn't go smooth for the last two weeks! Fingers crossed it will go smooth but wish I was there with the engineer during install.