cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have to turn on Network Sharing on 582n USB & not on the 582n NON USB

TORPC
Grafter

Why do I have to turn on Network Sharing on 582n USB & not on the 582n NON USB

1st let me briefly explain for those that do not know what is what.........
Some are you are aware that I have had a new TG582n with USB shipped & arrived & installed this week, due to issue(s) with 2 of the NON USB flavoured TG582n's as discussed in a different thread, & not needing to go into full details here ;).
With the
2 x TG582'ns without USB on Firmware 10.2.2.B EH
I had no reason to turn on network discovery & file sharing on any of my Devices to use the NowTV Roxu box with Plex installed
With the
1 x TG582n with USB on Firmware 8.4.4.J BW
I had to Sad turn on Network Discovery & File Sharing for it to work
I do not like having Network Discovery & File Sharing on
Therefore, what I am asking is
Is there a workaround / setting etc that I may be inadvertently overlooking on the USB TG582n that I can use the Roku with the Network Discovery turned OFF

20 REPLIES 20
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Why do I have to turn on Network Sharing on 582n USB & not on the 582n NON USB

Is there a workaround / setting etc that I may be inadvertently overlooking on the USB TG582n that I can use the Roku with the Network Discovery turned OFF

I don't think so but I'll aim to find out for you.
I doubt network sharing is turned off on the USB model intentionally but again I'll see if our products guys can shed any light on that for us.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Why do I have to turn on Network Sharing on 582n USB & not on the 582n NON USB

Cheers Adam
Much appreciated
Since it may also help other(s) if they are looking to purchase the USB flavour from 3rd parties
As I already thought I would of had to.
BTW
A massive thank you Smiley
TORPC
Grafter

If anyone has any ideas then I am all years Wink
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

I think this is very unlikely be the TG582n but a network related issue. I say this as for Plex server and the Roku box to work all you would need is a switch, the router would only be needed for connection out to the internet. All I did with my Roku was connect it to my LAN installed Media Browser on a PC follow a few simple set up options and it worked.
If I read correctly you have had to use a new SSID when you connected up the router, may be this was the cause of the issue as your PC would have identified a new LAN. May be I'm wrong.
I would say I sort of admire the effort you are putting into your issue, but  for some reason this is not the best router for you. If I were you I would have bought something better by now.
Dan.
TORPC
Grafter

Cheers Dandroid Smiley
1st let me clarify to clear up any confusion some may have
1. Double, Triple, Quadrupled changed the SSID etc ==========> (Learnt from them type of noob mistakes long long ago)
1a. Green light in connecting wireless network = ON ==============> Greyed out Connecting to local network (same static IP as normal)
2. The only Change to the whole setup is the Router ===========> As we know the reasons why from my previous thread
3. The 10.2.2.B Firmware Router ========> Plex ==========> Roku, did not require the Networking & File Sharing turned on on any device like this Vista Laptop

Thank you for the admiration Smiley
I like to get the most and best out of any bit of kit regardless if it is entry level or as sophisticated as they come
I love troubleshooting & the challenges that comes as a result, & my lad the TG582n is posing  challenge atm Smiley , I also get a natural buzz when I am the 1st to find a Fix / Cure
The quick easy 5 - 10 minute fixes / cures dont do it for me any more (even though ironically I do not have much patience) but getting better as the older I get Wink

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Dandroid
I think this is very unlikely be the TG582n but a network related issue.

A network related issue caused by the 582n probably. Unlikely but possibly something related to the IGMP snooping / proxying in the 582n. More likely it has something to do with the USB firmware resulting in there being a media server running on the 582n.
The other possibility is that it's something to do with the 8.4 vs 10.2 firmware. I believe it's possible to re-configure the 10.2.5 FTTC firmware for use on ADSL connections.
TORPC
Grafter

@ejs
do you mean something like this may be a possibility worth looking into ?Huh
[code=Telnet file=DLNA Server (Media Sharing) Not Discovered Across LAN / WLAN.    SOLVED[] This issue is present in firmware 8.2.7.7  Don't know about other firmware versions.
Command Comments
eth bridge igmpsnooping config View present state.
If state=enabled then apply the fix
eth bridge igmpsnooping config brname=bridge state=disabled Apply fix
saveall Make permanent[/code]
Can you please elaborate more on the suspected USB =======> Media Player
&
Re-Configure FTTC firmware =========> ADSL
TORPC
Grafter

@_Adam_Walker_
Have you had any feedback as yet ?Huh
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: TORPC
@ejs
do you mean something like this may be a possibility worth looking into ?Huh
[code=Telnet file=DLNA Server (Media Sharing) Not Discovered Across LAN / WLAN.    SOLVED[] This issue is present in firmware 8.2.7.7  Don't know about other firmware versions.
Command Comments
eth bridge igmpsnooping config View present state.
If state=enabled then apply the fix
eth bridge igmpsnooping config brname=bridge state=disabled Apply fix
saveall Make permanent[/code]
Can you please elaborate more on the suspected USB =======> Media Player
&
Re-Configure FTTC firmware =========> ADSL

@TORPC
This is the fix I had to use on the v10 firmware to make the sky+app operate correctly.  Upnp was turned on, but it seems there was some issue wit DNLA server sharing.
TORPC
Grafter

Cheers Penfold Smiley
I will look into that in due course, as I do not want to make any more changes atm. (for at least a full 10 days since install) Wink
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Perhaps capture the traffic using wireshark when something tries to access the NowTV Roxu box with network discovery on and off, and compare them, and see what's different.
TORPC
Grafter

All well & good to suggest these kind of programs
However would you like to share how the program would be best setup for the task(s) you suggest on a
Ethernet connected Server ==============> Router =============> WiFi Roku <=============> Router =============> Ethernet Server
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Router?  You mean 'switch' in your diagram don't you?  Or at the very least the switch part of a router?
To use Wireshark, run it on one of the servers and capture the traffic...
It may help to go into a lot more detail about how you've got your network plugged up.
TORPC
Grafter

Network is simple no external switch(es)

Vista Laptop (acting as temporary server) Connects to router via Ethernet =================> NowTV Roku box is WiFi only to and from Router <===========> Router back to Vista (Temp Server Laptop) Ethernet
Will the portable wireshark do or do I have to D/Load the full ?Huh