cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have to reboot each morning after my PC has been in sleep mode?

jtee

Why do I have to reboot each morning after my PC has been in sleep mode?

Sorry, I've looked to see if this question has been asked before but I could not find anything related.
I'm not sure if this is a problem with the configuration of my PC internet settings, or a problem with the router config or something else, but every morning I have to reboot my PC in order to get connected to Plusnet broadband.
If anybody else has had this problem and has been able to resolve it I'd be very gratful if you could share any advice. (Plusnet support cannot find anything wrong when I contacted their help desk.)
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Why do I have to reboot each morning after my PC has been in sleep mode?

I suspect that it is to do with the PC not keeping the network alive when in sleep mode
Check the network card isn't set to switch off
See this picture from mine
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi jtee,  welcome to the forums.
As Oldjim says, some PCs switch off the network adapter when entering sleep mode (particularly laptops with USB wi-fi adapters but others can be affected too).
If it's a USB adapter then there's usually a setting somewhere with a description like 'keep alive' under power settings, otherwise see if there's an option to switch off 'power saving' for the network adapter.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jtee

Hi, I did look at that option the other day when I was investigating the problem, however, I was a bit unsure about changing it.  I will give this a try to see if it makes any difference. Thanks for your guidance.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I had a similar problem when I was using a Linksys USB wireless adapter. I found that unplugging the adapter for ~ 30 seconds then reattaching to the hub forced a reconnection. I blame it on the wireless card driver,rightly or wrongly!!
jtee

Hi, I found that adjusting the network adapter power management options has fixed the problem. Thanks to all.