cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I get so many disconnections?

ianrw
Dabbler

Why do I get so many disconnections?

I often get disconnections - sometimes the reconnection is stable, other times there can be a cycle of connect/disconnect over say 10-20 minutes. Since its often been in early evening I've assumed it was something to do with increased demand at the at time. Since lockdown it can happen at various times of the day - maybe again from increased usage with more people at home during the day. However, could there be some other cause?

I attach a log file from this morning to see if this is helpful as I don't really know what its telling me. There are instances of xDSL linestate down but why?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
nofibre
Hooked

Re: Why do I get so many disconnections?

I have noticed the same. The brief drops in connection (10 seconds to minutes) probably used to happen but are more problematic since lockdown. For example I was in a video meeting this morning but missed 10% of it due to random reconnects.

It is not a device issue, as it affects every device in the house. I do not think it is a router issue, as I use Draytek device which, so far as I can tell is reliable. It seems to be a late evening phenomenon, but that may be ascertainment bias on my part. In addition, the connection often goes briefly around midnight which leads me to think it might be at the ISP..

Any insight would be appreciated as it is rather annoying when it happens.
tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@iarnw By any chance are you turning off your router every night? Cos it doesn't help the drops what so ever. Below you'll see a graph to show your connection, turning off your router every night will cause this issue.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
ianrw
Dabbler

Yes, I turn it off at night. The router is in an upstairs study near the main phone socket. My wife has (unjustifiable?) concerns about sleeping the other side of the wall to a wireless source. I will have to try to shield it.

But why should there be disconnection hours after its switched on?

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@iarnw The easiest way to explain it is that when you turn off your router, your internet isn't reaching a router so it is like it is reaching a brick wall. So it starts to think there is a fault with your line. So when you finally turn on your router, the line is confused and continues to error as it is trying to give you stability and speed at the same time. The only way this will stop is if you leave your router turned on 24/7. Smiley If your wife is worried about wireless, just turn the wireless off at night by pressing the wi-fi button on your router. Powering your router fully down will only cause more issues further down the line.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
ianrw
Dabbler

Thanks for the explanation and advice. I'll switch off the wifi - never really noticed the wifi button in all the years I've had the TG585v7!