cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I get emails from Plusnet on a domain that they told me was switched off?

Santiago
Grafter

Why do I get emails from Plusnet on a domain that they told me was switched off?

This is not a problem but it is bugging me and I was hoping someone can explain this.
I get emails from PlusNet. They go to two different postmaster addresses.
Emails from CS about support tickets etc go to postmaster@username.f9.co.uk This is the address on my account profile.
Emails about billing, peak time usage etc go are addressed to postmaster@username.force9.co.uk & postmaster@username.f9.co.uk but I only recieve one copy.
I understood that the domain .force9.co.uk on my account had been turned off following an issue last year with duplicated emails from Plusnet. So why is this being used?
I also don't understand why in MMM my email accounts and aliases are all shown as being xxxx@username.force9.co.uk
These addresses don't work as I have tried them.
So if I create an alias in MMM it looks like newalias@username.force9.co.uk and this doesn't work but newalias@username.f9.co.uk does. I'm a little confused!
2 REPLIES 2
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Why do I get emails from Plusnet on a domain that they told me was switched off?

This is not a problem but it is bugging me and I was hoping someone can explain this.
I get emails from PlusNet. They go to two different postmaster addresses.
Emails from CS about support tickets etc go to postmaster@username.f9.co.uk This is the address on my account profile.
Emails about billing, peak time usage etc go are addressed to postmaster@username.force9.co.uk & postmaster@username.f9.co.uk but I only recieve one copy.
I understood that the domain .force9.co.uk on my account had been turned off following an issue last year with duplicated emails from Plusnet. So why is this being used?

I would have said this was by design in case you had turned off one of your addresses. The billing system is not plugged into our domain control system so would not know whether or not you had done this. Safest bet therefore is to send to both addresses. I don't think this is the reason behind it though TBH as some customers also have a username.force9.net address and the message isn't being sent to that.
I also don't understand why in MMM my email accounts and aliases are all shown as being xxxx@username.force9.co.uk
These addresses don't work as I have tried them.
So if I create an alias in MMM it looks like newalias@username.force9.co.uk and this doesn't work but newalias@username.f9.co.uk does. I'm a little confused!

That's just the default format we use for the addressing. We never intended on allowing customers the ability to turn off specific domains on their account. Instead it was something you could request via ticket following the webmail incident. It's purpose was for use in conjunction with a new domain registration to cut down levels of spam. I'd be surprised if there were more than one or two customers who have turned off selected F9 domains as you have.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Santiago
Grafter

Re: Why do I get emails from Plusnet on a domain that they told me was switched off?

Quote from: Bob
Safest bet therefore is to send to both addresses

So does everyone have billing emails sent to multiple domain postmaster addresses?
I don't think this is the reason behind it though TBH as some customers also have a username.force9.net address and the message isn't being sent to that

I don't understand what you mean here. Do we have a choice of domain addreses to use? As far as I am aware username.f9.co.uk is the only one that works for me
That's just the default format we use for the addressing. We never intended on allowing customers the ability to turn off specific domains on their account. Instead it was something you could request via ticket following the webmail incident. It's purpose was for use in conjunction with a new domain registration to cut down levels of spam. I'd be surprised if there were more than one or two customers who have turned off selected F9 domains as you have.

I didn't turn off the force9.co.uk domain. If I remember correctly it was turned off by Force 9 CS to stop me receiving quadruple email billing notifications.