cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why connect my Mac to broadband using wired connection first?

Seal65

Why connect my Mac to broadband using wired connection first?

Having just signed for free wireless modem as part of 12 mth deal, I read that connecting via wired Ethernet/USB modem is recommended BEFORE connecting the wireless (Mac OSX). Not a problem, except I don't have said modem. Does anyone know whether connecting via wireless will work? Huh
6 REPLIES 6
ddunford
Grafter

Re: Why connect my Mac to broadband using wired connection first?

HI Seal65,
You wont need a seperate modem to connect via cable.
All you need to do is connect the router/modem to your MAC via the network cable provided in the box. This is to enter your connection details and ensure your internet connection is actually working first off.
Once you have confirmed that the ADSL is working, you can connect via wireless. The key needed to connect your MAC over wireless is normally printed on the bottom of your router. If not you should be able to set a key in the wireless settings whilst you are connected via the network cable.
Hope this help.
Seal65

Very helpful, thank you, I didn't realise wireless routers could be wired too, and cable supplied. Not sure how to set a key if I can't find it on the underneath of the modem/router. Is the AirPort Wireless Security Password supplied too?
James
Grafter

Hi Seal65,
If you have a read of the manual that came with your router, it should explain how to set up your wireless encryption.
You can also view them online from here.
Seal65

Thanks for the reply Jameseh.
I haven't received the modem yet, it got caught up in Xmas post. Two kids at home and no internet, hence I wanted to check possible glitches beforehand. I'll read the manual, just from experience they tend to overlook Mac users.
Thanks again guys.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Sorry, I'm not a Mac user but your comment "just from experience they tend to overlook Mac users" prompted me to do a little background research. Conclusion - raising this was probably a wise move, hopefully my comments will help.
The link pointed to by Jameseh is for the BT Voyager 2110, so I assume that is the router being supplied to you. The userguide files on the BT Voyager website are Windows ".chm" files; can those be opened on the Mac? The CD that comes with the router might be no better; I don't have a CD for the 2110 but for the (wired) 210 help is driven by ".exe" files which I assume are Windows only. However there should be a printed Installation Guide in the box.
A potentially incompatible CD is not a problem since it isn't needed for set-up - assuming Airport on the Mac is ready for use. The router will have 128-bit WEP enabled by default and the key printed on the bottom of the case. I came across the following article on Google AirPort: Joining an encrypted wireless network that might be relevant to you. Connecting to the router wirelessly using the supplied key shouldn't be difficult (as long as key-format problems don't intervene). You shouldn't need the router username and password at this stage but you might later - they are both admin.
WEP encoding is better than no security, but is not difficult to crack (typically a few minutes); changing to WPA-PSK (or WPA2-PSK if your Mac supports it) is recommended. If any of the wi-fi security settings are changed the important point to bear in mind is that as soon as the change is made on the router your Mac will lose its connection to the router. The Airport key information needs changing to match to regain the connection - obvious, but easily forgotten. Such difficulties don't happen with a wired connection, the main reason for suggesting carrying out initial router set-up using a wired connection.
Initial router set-up involves only entering username@plusdsl.net and your password (where username and password are those used for signing up to PlusNet) to connect the router to PlusNet. Don't forget the "@plusdsl.net" (realm) bit, experience shows many do.
David
Word_Warrior
Grafter

I'm an apple mac user and have recently installed the BT 2110 router/modem for my local rugby club. I have to say it's not the best manual available for mac or any other platform for that matter. I also don't like the router browser interface. That said, it works fine once set up but the range isn't great.
When I upgraded my wires only router I opted for the Netgear DG834n The range is fantastic and I can use my laptop at the bottom of the garden (in the summer) You pay your money and you take your choice and as the BT one is free it's okay for the price. Wink
The CD is no good for mac but just open http://192.168.1.1 in your browser and go from there.
Don't forget to wpa encrypt and use the mac address too.
[Moderator's note by Peter (PJ): Fixed URL]