cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't Google find my Website Address

katiesteddies

Why can't Google find my Website Address

I,m a total Newbee when it comes to websites and forums so sorry if there is already an answer for my question on this forum somewhere.
I have been playing at creating a website for a friend of mine and uploaded it to my webspace
www.katiesteddies.plus.com
and sorted out that her domain Name would Point to it. 
(www.holistictherapyforyou.com)
This all works fine when it is typed into the address bar  but if you type either of the addresses into google it finds nothing.
I have submited both addresses to google and have verified / validated the www.katiesteddies.plus.com ; but can not even get google to veritify / validate the www.holistictherapyforyou.com
Can some one help PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
36 REPLIES 36
spuggy
Dabbler

Re: Why can't Google find my Website Address

When did you submit the site too google?  Indexing your site will normally take a few days.
katiesteddies

Sumited site to google about 2 months ago now. First uploaded the site last October.
Denzil
Grafter

Submitting your site does not guarantee a high position on the list. Also, the meta tags could be improved. Most search engines now ignore the keywords tag and index the actual content of the page. A description tag would help, but make sure the words used in the description are reflected in the text on the page.
e.g. <meta name="description" content="Jacqueline Bailey - complementary therapist">
Edit: Note to mods - this might be better in Webspace Help
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just checked with Google
No pages from your site are currently included in Google's index.

If you create a site map and then get a Google account you can tell Google about it and that will speed things up. http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/
katiesteddies

How do you create a Site map  (as I said I am new at websites.)  I am using Front page and can you use other programs as well.

I under stand that meta tags help improve your google ranking but are they needed to allow google to find the site.

Thankyou everyone for all your help so far.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

look at the link in my previous post
talpa
Grafter

There's a few things you'll need to do.
First and most important is that currently http://www.holistictherapyforyou.com/ contains absolutely no content that Google would attribute any value to - it's simply a frameset including pages from www.katiesteddies.plus.com. So there's really nothing for Google to "pick up" on that address.
You should really put the content that is on katiesteddies on this domain directly or you won't get the result you're looking for.

Secondly, looking at www.katiesteddies.plus.com which has the content, it has no META description, or META keyword tags.
Of the META tages that are there, your Google verify tags are incorrect:
<meta name="verify-v1"content="Go4FxTU25/l/MTBMvN77UmI0kfcFzwhBb5wX3jVVT/w=" />
should be
<meta name="verify-v1" content="Go4FxTU25/l/MTBMvN77UmI0kfcFzwhBb5wX3jVVT/w=" />
[Note the additional space after "verify-v1"]
The same error applies to your other verify META tag, and ideally you should have only one of these.
Fixing these would be a good start - however I'd also look at fixing your HTML - there are a number of issues with it that won't help.
After that - set up a Google Webmaster account (I'm guessing you've already done that by the presence of the verify-v1 META tags?) and see what that says.
Has the Googlebot looked at your site? (It should announce itself in your website logs quite clearly).
katiesteddies

re: talpa

« Reply #7 on Today at 14:58 »
There's a few things you'll need to do.
First and most important is that currently http://www.holistictherapyforyou.com/ contains absolutely no content that Google would attribute any value to - it's simply a frameset including pages from www.katiesteddies.plus.com. So there's really nothing for Google to "pick up" on that address.
You should really put the content that is on katiesteddies on this domain directly or you won't get the result you're looking for.

How would I do this, as www.holistictherapyforyou.com is only a domain name at present and is directed to www.katiesteddies.plus.com. Should I buy some space or something for that domain(please remember I am new to all this. if I ask silly questions.)

Where would I find website Logs???
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: katiesteddies
How do you create a Site map   (as I said I am new at websites.)  I am using Front page and can you use other programs

You can do this using "insert/web component/table of contents".  The site map should then be created automatically providing you have set up navigation.
talpa
Grafter

How would I do this, as www.holistictherapyforyou.com is only a domain name at present and is directed to www.katiesteddies.plus.com. Should I buy some space or something for that domain(please remember I am new to all this. if I ask silly questions.)

You can get PlusNet to "host" the domain name - perhaps a rep can advise on pricing - although I seem to recall you could do it for free at one point?
Ditto - for getting access to your log files. I don't host an of my sites with PlusNet so I'm afraid I can't directly with that.
MickKi
Grafter

www.katiesteddies.plus.com
and sorted out that her domain Name would Point to it. 
(www.holistictherapyforyou.com)

Can you please tell me how you did that?  (I am not familiar with the Plusnet hosting facilities/features).
This all works fine when it is typed into the address bar   but if you type either of the addresses into google it finds nothing.

This is because Google has not indexed them.
I have submited both addresses to google and have verified / validated the www.katiesteddies.plus.com ;  but can not even get google to veritify / validate the www.holistictherapyforyou.com
Can some one help PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

OK, in addition to all the good things already advised, a submission of a site to a search engine does not equal automatic indexing.  Submission of a sitemap.xml is helpful, but if you have messed up elsewhere it won't get you listed either . . .
You may want to google for "duplicate website content" to see what I'm saying, or read it straight from the horse's mouth.
Consider adding a robots.txt file to exclude indexing www.katiesteddies.plus.com and instead indexing www.holistictherapyforyou.com.
Hope this helps.    Smiley
Ianwild
Grafter

Yes, far and away the best solution would be for us to host the domain for you, at which point it will automatically be served from your username.plus.com webspace, and Google will be much happier. 
If you want to keep paying your current registrar, it will be free to host the domain for you. If you want us to take over full control we can do that for £1 a month (although you will need to ask for this option after completing the transfer), which will cover you for as long as you want the domain.
We have a guide on hosting only option here, and for us to take full control, see here - those pages should give you the lowdown on how to move your domain but if you have any more questions just ask.
Regards,
Ian
katiesteddies

RE: MickKi
Got  www.holistictherapyforyou.com to point to www.katiesteddies.plus.com By going onto the site I registered the domain with and there they have the options for webforwarding and email forwarding. where you just type the web address or Email Address of where you would like the domain name or Email to Go. (Very Easy But don't yet Know if google likes it.)

What is a Robots.txt file?????????
Denzil
Grafter

Robots are the automated software that search engines useto go looking round the web and index websites. Robots.txt is a file you can create with instructions for the search engines- see <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robots.txt">here</a>. It is normally used to request that search engines bots don't index particular pages. By default they will index any accessible page, so if that is what you want you don't need to bother with it.