cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I restricted to 38Mbps?

thunderer
Grafter

Why am I restricted to 38Mbps?

I hope someone can answer this question for me.
I've recently made the jump from ADSL to Fibre (VDSL), I was told that when I signed up for it that the maximum speed that I could have would be between 33 & 38 Mbps, yet I have done several checks with the BT Wholesale line test & BT Wholesale Diagnostic checker and that returns the result that my connection is running well below the capability of the line.
Both BT Wholesale line test & BT Wholesale Diagnostic check, tells me that my line is more than capable of supporting a download speed of 70Mbps & Upload of 20Mbps, yet Plusnet refuse to allow me to have the faster product. Why?
15 REPLIES 15
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Why am I restricted to 38Mbps?

Are you testing via a wired ethernet connection between the router and computer or via wireless ?
Wireless can give you a far lower reading than a wired connection.
thunderer
Grafter

Hi.
I am using a wired connection for the test, I find that using a Wi-Fi dongle even at close range isn't very good.
Oh, I forgot to mention, I am using a Draytek 2850n router.
picbits
Rising Star

I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem with the router but it is worth doing a direct ethernet connection to the modem and setting up a PPPoE connection (there is a guide on here somewhere) - that should rule out the router.
thunderer
Grafter

Hi.
There is NO modem involved. The Draytek 2850n accepts direct input from the wall socket it accepts ADSL/ADSL 2/VDSL, that's why I bought it about 18 months ago, so that I don't have to have loads of mains adaptors & ethernet cables around.
picbits
Rising Star

Oops - my bad.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The first question to ask is what does this say https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
I have assumed that you signed up for Unlimited Fibre Extra and not Unlimited Fibre as the latter is limited to 40Mbps at Plusnet
thunderer
Grafter

Telephone number: 01483 ******
Phone exchange: *****
Estimated line speed: 33Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support.
These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-07-31 17:57:40
Current line speed: 40 Mb
Details suitably redacted for obvious reasons.
But the BTO Speedtester & Line Diagnostics show (see my original posts attachment) that my line is more than capable of doing just under double at 70Mbps, with 72Mbps being the absolute maxima.
I don't get why I was not offered the higher speed by PN, when it's been proven that my line will accept the higher speed.
thunderer
Grafter

Quote from: DomS
Oops - my bad.

No worries!  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

So am I correct in assuming that you signed up for the cheaper product http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/fibre/
thunderer
Grafter

I was told that the faster product was not available on my line, so I was not offered the "Upto 76Mbps" product, so I had no option but to sign up for it!
Yet you can see with that attachment on the OP, that the line is more than capable of accepting of up to just short of that speed & as it's "Upto 76Mbps" I should have been offered it!  Sad
AndyH
Grafter

What are your estimates like here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ ?
It's an easy switch to be put on the faster up to 76Mbps product.
thunderer
Grafter

You can find an attachment of the result that I got below.
Again it has been suitably redacted to remove personal details.
As you can see from it, it's a very capable line. So needless to say I'm a little miffed.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Assuming that you want the faster product - and I have no idea why you were told it wasn't available - your best bet is to phone the Customer Options Team as just upgrading would almost certainly lose your present discounts
This is the contact number
    0800 013 2632
    0330 123 9197
    Monday to Friday: 9.00am - 8.00pm (Except Bank Holidays)
    Saturday: 9.00am - 5.30pm
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi thunderer,
Having looked over the account I see no reason as to why you couldn't have upgraded to Fibre Unlimited Extra which allows download speed up to 78Mbps. I can see that you have now arranged for this to be changed on your next billing date. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused Sad