cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Google Analytics?

hadden
Grafter

Why Google Analytics?

I was wondering what useful information PlusNet gets from use the Google Analytics tracking script on this forum?
I would have thought that the most useful info is available as part of the SMF features.
Presumably it won't be the geographic information, as Google probably thinks we are all in Sheffield.
6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable

Re: Why Google Analytics?

AFIAK its because the PN Webstats tools are fairly pants, and don't give enought info on lots of aspects of the site - since GA were going to be used for the rest of the site, it seems sensible enough to use them here too - so that reporting etc can be consistent.
Could be talking out of my hat though - I'll go have a look for the topic where it was discussed previously.
Not applicable

I reckon they know everything there is to know about us already.
Its the ones who suspiciously try to hide from them that they'll come for first....
[me=James_H]sends PJ a tinfoil hat.[/me]
sophos9
Grafter

Quote from: JohnJ
I was wondering what useful information PlusNet gets from use the Google Analytics tracking script on this forum?

Number of entries, bounce rate, exit points, which forum attracts the most traffic, external usage (are those sneaky Russians creating much traffic????)
Loads of metrics that a business would like to know to up its customer experience...
James
Grafter

I'm no expert, but we use it more for the Community Site than just the forum.
Does anyone remember my blog post?  I might do a follow up to it at some stage.
http://community.plus.net/comms/2007/08/31/hitting-the-community/
Colin
Grafter

We use it as a way of tracking page views and hits essentially, meaning we can see how many people read specific blog articles, where the search engine traffic is coming from etc. without having to analyse the raw web logs.
hadden
Grafter

Thanks.
I was forgetting that there was more than just the forums.
It was the utilisation (no pun) on the forum pages that triggered me to wonder, but I suppose it only shows higher level access (eg forum indexes, etc) as per Jamesh stats in his blog post..., that would not be available in the SMF stats.
Jamesh, please feel free to bore me with geographic stats... but maybe just the once. Is it not just teasing to say how "world renowned" they show PN without spilling?  Cool