cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why FTTC?

peterbarker
Grafter

Why FTTC?

FTTC is now available to me.  I appreciate that it would greatly speed up my internet, but I have not subscribed to it.  Apart from the improved speeds I have no idea what other benefits it would bring.
I would appreciate any ideas on what new things I could with FTTC, which I cannot already do.
thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Why FTTC?

It rather depends on your present speeds.
If you have an IP profile of 4000kbps or higher the answer is not a great deal but you can probably download faster if you take the Pro addon as well
Force9Original
Grafter

I'm struggling with the same question.
The current line on Be* is stable between 8 -10meg down & 1.3meg up  depending on which profile its set to. There is no rate limiting/download limits on any port numbers so its unrestricted/unlimited put through 24/7. For £14pm
On FTTC,  I'd need Plusnet Extra Fibre for the 120gb + The  Pro add on to get the sime kind of service profile for £26.49pm .
Then there is the one off install charge of £50. So really taking the monthly figure to £29.26.( over 18m tie in ).
The BTW  FTTC  speed guide gives 36.3 down & 9.8 up. The Cab is less then 200m away so I'm pretty sure I'd get the max profiles what ever BT raise them to.
Its a hard one,  potentially  a four fold   increase  in speed, but its over double the cost & coming back under the aggressive FTTC DLM.
At the moment I'm leaning towards, just sitting on the side lines & seeing if the prices & contract tie in come down some more.
Cheers f9o
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

In my case it was a no-brainer... my speed was only 1.5Mbs (a long way from the exchange) and ADSL2+ did nothing (in fact it reduced my speed from 2000Mbs). So Fibre was the only way I could get any decent speeds.
While it does give much faster speeds and I can watch HD programs now, for many it is the only way to get a faster connection.
peterbarker
Grafter

My download is 3.7 Mbs and upload is 0.333 Mbs.  For my internet use this is adequate, although appreciate it is not fast especially the upload; it seems that a number of my neighbours achieve faster speeds (i.e. those on ADSL and not including the ones on cable)
I have experimented and found that the only significant factor within my control that affects my speed is leaving my router on all the time. 
I have a site on my PlusNet web space; I update it regularly and the slow upload is not a real problem for me.  I have satellite for HD.
I am very near the FTTC cabinet so I think I would get very good speeds.  However, as in my original question I just don't know what new things I could do if I had faster speeds.. 
So I do not plan taking up FTTC at present.
spiderwheels
Dabbler

It's not all about the headline speed rate.
You get a higher usage cap (40GB vs 10GB in the value product or 120GB vs 60GB in the extra value product).
You get faster peak time downloads as standard without paying extra for the pro add-on (e.g. 5Mb/s vs 2Mb/s). But, of course, the Pro add-on is significantly cheaper than an upgrade to fibre.
Also, remember that the interweb is only as fast as the server to which you are connected. Most aren't capable of serving you at anything like 37Mb/s!
If you're already over 10Mb/s on ADSL then it's not going to be worth it. If you're lower than that then it depends how many concurrent users there are in the household (can little Jimmy watch real-life sniper action on You-tube while you're trying to watch BBC iplayer in HD?).
If you're like me and have been stuck in the dark ages on less than 1.5 Mb/s then you'll sign on the dotted line while the paint is still drying on the fibre cabinet!