cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Are Content Rich Sites Slow To Load?

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Why Are Content Rich Sites Slow To Load?

Have always wondered what causes this? eg glossy news/magazine sites that use flash and embedded videos etc. I find they take a long time to load and my browser will not let me navigate around the site until all the elements are loaded which takes quite some time and so usually I just get tired of waiting and leave the site.
I have 17Mb ds and 1Mb us and use OpenDNS for DNS res.
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Why Are Content Rich Sites Slow To Load?

which browser and which security package are you using - I have assumed that you are using some variety of Windows
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Am using IE11 on Windows 8.1. Have McAfee LiveSafe security (was already on my laptop when I got it)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

can you give an example of a site which gives problems
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'll leave Jim to carry on with more help in this area, he's very good at this, but I just thought I'd mention that quite a few sites use external servers to load some content, especially the advertising and that can slow down the full loading of a page..
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Oldjim
Resting Legend

I just tried the first one on Firefox and IE11 and there were no problems although the various images don't load until I scroll down the page
No problem on the second one at all
This is on a 3.8Mbps connection
Can I suggest disabling McAfee and trying again
Anotherone
Champion

What about the 3rd one Jim? I'm following with interest. I've always had problems with the Daily Mail, there is so much stuff there (I wish I'd had firebug running just now) but I could have had a stopwatch running on it as it took so long - maybe even a kitchen timer Shocked  and that's with a 6.5Mbps profile  Crazy
Oldjim
Resting Legend

No problem with any of them
Note that in all cases I had cookies blocked although whether that is relevant I have no idea
Running Firebug on the Daily Mail link it is really horrible
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

On about 9Mbps here - Daily Mail page takes longer to load than most others but then it is a biggie, and it's certainly not slow enough to time with a stopwatch.
This is on Win7/IE11 - don't know whether some installed tracking protection makes a difference, but probably not as the times in Chrome are very similar.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Well rapid rendering increase with a temp disable of Mcafee. Are there any recommended packages that give similar protection but don't slow you down as much? I did do a Google but I suspect the AV review sites might be being paid off by manufacturer's to say their's is best. I have to be careful security wise as some of the work I do involves hitting a lot of sites and so my browsing habits are rather promiscuous to say the least.
Anotherone
Champion

I don't know if anyone has tried Avast Free lately, I'm certainly not recommending AVG Free at the moment and am going to uninstall it in the near future.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

This thread inspired me to have a fresh look at MSE, which I've been using for a few years - it appears to have gone from hero to zero (relatively) in the last year or so, although AVG Free still seems to be getting quite good reviews.
What don't you like about it Anotherone?
Anotherone
Champion

AVG Free 2014 update a few months ago took away the ability to schedule the updates. It does it when it chooses and hogs CPU in the process (I don't have duo or quad core etc) and hogs disc in the later part of the update. The 2015 update did nothing to fix that or other minor issues I moaned about to them early in the year - one of which was the inability to determine the amount of memory usage by an app (FF browser esp.) before it pops up a warning which it does regularly, hogging CPU/Disc while it in the process of preparing and popping up the warning. I know I can disable the warning but your get the yellow ! in the tray icon (which could mask any other error warning). Whilst I had tolerated this for a while, the 2015 update now has memory leakage at the end of the update of some 150-200MB and if I don't deal with it, it adds a further 150-200MB when it does the next update. Well that is the last straw. It's going when I have time. (Never mind the fact that it does appear to slow some web page loading a bit). So we are going to give Avast a try.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: woodm
Here's a few examples....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/
http://www.cbsnews.com/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk
http://www.mirror.co.uk

haha they littered with spam/ad/spy ware.
Basically there is tons of trackers and adverts from 3rd parties which will slow down loading.
I use noscript and they wont be allowed to load without my permission, makes these type of sites way faster.  That daily mail link alone has 9 3rd party objects on it.