Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whose are all these devices!?

Eshaw1980
Hooked

Whose are all these devices!?

Hi there,

So I've got inSSIDer to scam the network to check which channels are crowded.

What I would like to know, how the heck are 50 devices connected to various channels when there's only 7 of us in the apartment block!? I don't know whose devices they are, but it's no one in this block as noone has an Audi (there's 3 Audi connections showing) and noone by the name of Suvarna lives here...
29 REPLIES 29
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Whose are all these devices!?

@Eshaw1980 

You'll be picking up neighbour's output as well as your own.

Brian

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@Eshaw1980 Welcome to the forums. inSSIDer scans more than just 'your' local network - it picks up all those within range which ae transmitting when it checks. My program (not iSSIDer, but a similar one, displays my neighbours, connections in the next road, bus and car WiFi networks as they come within range - anything, in effect, which is transmitting a signal within range.

John
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

I presume you meant to say scan:)

You need to alter your router channel to the least used/not used.
You don't specify what frequency you refer to, but generally the 5ghz one is far less busy..for now!
And there are far more channels to choose from on this higher frequency.
jab1
Legend

@Gel - if the OP has a dual-band modem/router AND devices which work on 5gHz.

John
Eshaw1980
Hooked

Hi all, thanks so much for responses, appreciate it.

I'm on 2.4ghz, and my router is over 4 years old haha. I'm going to order the dual band BT Smarthub 6, as my Internet has been shocking lately.

Yes I live on a busy area next to other apartment blocks and a main road. I just looked like to me, that other people's devices were hijacking my channel (6), thus slowing my connection down to a halt basically. I've never seen it so busy. I'm looking at channels 1 and 11 and they're rammed too.

I just didn't think that random devices on the street could connect to channel 6 and slow everyone's connection down so badly. 😕
jab1
Legend

1, 6 & 11 are the only 'non-overlapping' channels and most devices will choose the best of them for their operation. The BT HH6 is a a good hub, but if your devices are are old - say more than 3 years old, they probably don't have 5GHz capabilities anyway.

In what way has your internet been 'shocking', as there are numerous reasons for this perceived problem - yes, channel congestion is one of them, but there are a number of others.

Other devices are not 'hijacking' your channel - there are only so many to choose from, and in a heavily populated area they have to share - you need to find the least congested.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Eshaw1980 

I’m afraid that channel 6, or any other channel is ‘yours’. Not shown on inSSIDer is all the other stuff that uses wireless such as remote controls etc. so it does get very busy.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Eshaw1980
Hooked

Sorry yes, I know channel 6 isn't mine, that's just what I'm connected to atm. I just thought that was the reason why my Internet keeps on dropping and I get messages on Amazon prime - when trying to watch a movie - saying "bandwidth is too slow".

I literally just can't watch a movie and any Web pages take about several minutes to load. I assumed this was because of those random devices being on my channel....
jab1
Legend

No, that is not the reason. This sounds like a different issue, connected to your actual network speed. Are you on ADSL (as you hav posted on that board) or VDSL (FTTC)?

Which router do you have?

John
Eshaw1980
Hooked

I've taken a photo of the crowded channels but don't know how to upload it to this thread.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

I just didn't think that random devices on the street could connect to channel 6 and slow everyone's connection down so badly

It's like being in a room with everyone talking at the same time, unless one person shouts (strong WiFi signal) its hard to hear what is being said and they have to keep repeating (retransmit) what the are saying which slows the conversation down.

Dan.

Eshaw1980
Hooked

Serial number N7191131B005552
Firmware version 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
jab1
Legend

To upload a picture, click the 'photo' icon in the selection above the reply box - between the 'smiley' and 'camera' icons.

John
Eshaw1980
Hooked

Ah Dan OK that explains it perfectly. So how do I get my voice to shout the loudest then? Haha