cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whole broadband performance FALLEN OFF A CLIFF!

FIXED
mickthefitter
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Whole broadband performance FALLEN OFF A CLIFF!

Good evening.

Last night I had to give up using the internet. It was like dial-up. Or worse. No web pages would load properly. I did  the usual Ookla thing (when it would load) then BT Wholesale when I saw how rubbish the speeds were. I did a soft disconnect from within Gateway, turned off the router then booted everything up again ten minutes later. Not a whole lot better. I had been getting around 8mbps download for ages and around 0.6mbps upload. I wondered if it was the bad weather (though it baffles me why it should be) but this morning it was no better. Same this evening. I've done a soft disconnect again and if anything, I've made it worse. Unfortunately due to my current working hours and the time of year, I'm not home in the week during daylight hours - should that make any difference to soft disconnects. So below are my copied and pasted stats from this evening before my most recent soft disconnect. Even Plusnet's data for my line speed is 3.2mb - yet I know for a fact it used to be around 8mb! What on Earth has happened? 

BT Wholesale performance test....

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
  2.52 Mbps

0 Mbps 4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.52 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 3.27 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  0.57 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.57Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

DSL stats from Gateway....

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 10:44:50
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 3,715
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 5.97 / 31.25
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.1 / 19.8
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.5 / 44.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.6 / 20.8
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 8,293 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 33 / 62,067
HEC Errors (Up/Down):
14 / 149,608

Plusnet's current line speed data....

Estimated line speed:There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.Current line speed:3.2 Mb

Help!!!
Cheers,
Mick
9 REPLIES 9
DreamVB
Grafter

Re: Whole broadband performance FALLEN OFF A CLIFF!

I been haveing the same problum for a few weeks now I always seem to connect with an IP to Infonet Services Corporation tryed resetting about 20 times just connects to the same thing, I think this must be an ongoing thing because there seems to be a lot with the same sort of things. was going to take me 1 hour+ to download a 400mb only took about  7 to 8 min a month back.

mickthefitter
Rising Star

Well I'm not complaining but typically, just as I feel things have got bad enough to start reporting them, I did another disconnect after writing my post, turned off the router for ten minutes, then didn't bother with the internet for several hours while doing other stuff. Shortly before I needed my computer I tried Ookla on my wirelessly connected telly, and got an acceptable 6.5mbps download and 0.5mbps upload! I've tried BT Wholesale and got pretty much the same - what I can never figure out is why when things are running slow I sometimes get told the max achievable speed for my line is a lot lower than it should be, but then that max achievable speed goes up when things improve! Copper wires are copper wires and they don't move further from or nearer to the exchange. I don't understand why the 'max achievable' speed varies. The 'max achievable' speed of a Ferrari would be a lot less than it should be if you tried running it on paraffin, so.....I'm not sure where to go with that analogy, because you cannot put paraffin down wires, but in theory if a Ferrari could do 180mph on petrol then that ought to be the max speed it could achieve, and my copper wires ought to have a max achievable speed even if the signal being pushed down them is bad. 

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
  6.3 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.3 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 6.75 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  0.51 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.51Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The "max achievable speed" as reported by the BT Speedtester is badly phrased and fairly meaningless, it's not giving the maximum potential line speed. It's simply reporting the top end of that range of acceptable speeds. And the range of acceptable speeds is selected depending on your current line speed.

The BT Speedtester does not give you anything to determine if the IP Profile (and your actual line speed) is any good or not for your line.

cheenusj

I'm having a similar issue although perhaps slightly different. I initially had a serious problem with connection in beginning of December. After a full failure of internet connection, the speeds were never quite the same and connection was dropping off for significant amounts of time. Nothing in my home environment had changed. After numerous calls and support from PlusNet Tech team, it was put down to the router itself. A new router was sent out, but this only resolved the issue in regards to the connection drops, not the issues regarding the pipe.

Tech support told me to post on this discussion board to  try and see if anyone else had similar issues and how they resolved it.

When I put my torrent on (I use Azureus Vuze) it cannibalises the whole pipe. Any other device, if it can connect only gets less than 1 Mbps (pipe is usually at 16 download). This is the part of the issue the new router has not resolved. Although all the problems occurred simultaneously, this is the only one that persists.

Does anyone have any ideas? I used to be able to load 10+ files simultaneously and still was able to use the pipe for other websites and streaming. Now, it's either one or the other. I cannot do anything else when downloading files with Torrent.

As stated previously, the only change in my home environment is the new router. Nothing else has changed.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Regards, Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all.

Cheerio

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

I cannot provide detailed help as I do not torrent but have you read the good settings recommendations on the vuzewkik?

https://wiki.vuze.com/w/Good_settings

cheenusj

Cheers, Richard. Thank you for the info and link.

In case it is useful to anyone else, I changed my bit torrent from Azureus to BitComet. In BitComet you can set times and control high, low and no download limits under Tools > Options > Scheduler. It's a very easy to configure UI.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@cheenusj

A warm welcome to the forums.

@cheenusj & @DreamVB,

It is better to start a new thread for YOUR problem rather than piggy-backing onto someone elses's thread. Though end consequences might look the same usually the causes are different.

@mickthefitter,

The outstanding figure in the information provided is the 20dB DS SNRM.  That will certain cripple the speed. The DLM will have raised the SNRM (or capped the speed) to address line instability.  I suggest that you follow the usual speed problem checks (link below).  Do not focus on the BT speed test results, you need to see the synch speed being correct for your line length, so the router stats are more useful.

You could have an intermittent line fault ... or it could just be Christmas light interference.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cheenusj

@Townman

Hello Townman,

Thank you for your warm welcome and thank you for your suggestion. I was holding out to see if my problem was related before starting my own thread, but will take your suggestion now and start it.

Cheerio and Happy New Year.

Kr,

Cheenu

mickthefitter
Rising Star

Fix

Dear oh dear. All this technology and the answer comes in the form of a bit of wood. I must be getting wise to this. Sat down at ten to nine, put on my laptop, having already passed the router in the hall and all was AOK, and then there's that puzzled frown as I can't get any emails. So I 'repair' the wireless connection using Windows, like to do many times, and still no emails from OE. Take a look at the router...red light. Log into Technicolor Gateway, yep, disconnected. Connection dropped same time as my laptop started up. Try reconnecting....twice....well, it does get rid of the red light. Now the broadband light wasn't on at all. Rummage in the kitchen cupboard for those wooden cocktail sticks I bought long ago (I've forgotten why...I don't drink cocktails....) jab one in the back of the router and hold it in till it restarts....hey! Two minutes later, I'm back online! Bit of wood. Amazing. Cheesy