cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who should moderate these forums?

chillypenguin
Grafter

Who should moderate these forums?

Would you like these forums to be moderated by PlusNet staff?
Or by volunteers ?
Chilly
18 REPLIES 18
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: Who should moderate these forums?

Could you make an option for both? Wink
Spider
Grafter

As currently we have both I agree that should be an option also.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Both.  Wink
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Neither.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

VileReynard
Hero

My previous ISP run a number of unmoderated news groups. Apart from a small quantity of spam, these resulted in a full and frank discussion. The ISP felt able to make these groups public and I still browse in one carried on PlusNet's news service.
I just don't think there is any need for unnecessary secrecy. It is not as if any of these groups are aimed at young children...

pboro

I have not voted as there is no choice for both.
Maybe the staff member need only partake in final decisions where discussion turns into personal attacks on the voluntary mods and action needs to be taken against the perpetrator/s.
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
Actually, although staff use the forums for communicate with customers, staff do not carry out day to day moderation.

Although this is the line stated by the Forum Rules, the reality is that staff do moderate one section of this forum due to language constraints. As we are talking about moderation of the forums on the community site which includes all forums (irrespective of language) I feel that it is appropriate that the additional option (Volunteers / Staff) is added.
James
Grafter

Jeremy,
Given the "James Bailey is a £$%^" threads mark 1, 2, 3 and 4 in usenet, I'm glad there is moderation in these boards.  If you feel that they would run fine without then I do feel that you're being somewhat naive.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am not going to vote until a "Both" option is offered
elementaltm
Rising Star

I would vote both too! DM.  Grin
KABOOM!
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I vote both as well.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Given the addition of another option do you not think the option to change your vote should be enabled?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Ianwild
Grafter

On Usenet specifically, that will always be unmoderated. There are legal considerations to the discussion, and while forums need moderation, Usenet doesn't. That is the way it will be until / unless the legal advice changes.
On that Usenet point, we have offered (and I would personally prefer) to have our own Usenet groups propagated externally. When we have asked the communities feeling on that in the past however, the feeling seemed to be that that they preferred the internal nature of the groups. It would be easier for us if they didn't to be honest, but we can see the reasons for (such as privacy). If there is a desire for that to change at any time, we really won't mind making it so!
And finally, I really think you should avoid making this a discussion about what happens in the polish forum (Which obviously has no moderation at all currently, given the lack of any discussion!) - Don't let that forum temper your views of what should happen on the community forums generally. Should we ever have a polish community there who regularly  discuss stuff, we would be keen to have members of that community take over the moderation role as soon as possible.
Ian
VileReynard
Hero

I'm with Ian on this one!
I'm sorry if I stirred up a bit of a hornets nest!
I honestly did not know that the Polish forum is unmoderated (since there is no reason, per se why it shouldn't be).
Can I say that I'm not upset about the present scheme?
Just that on principle, I would like to see all comment as free and open to view.
However, since this is slightly OT, I'm happy to stop polluting the present discussion!
Regards,
Jeremy (Not really the axis-of-evil)