cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who's good at working out if connection speeds are about right?

richster
Grafter

Who's good at working out if connection speeds are about right?

This line has a pi** poor internet, ive just pulled this from router but i can deffo say that the downstream will reduce to around 532kbps by tomorrow. Its a talk crap line in progress to plus net, ive checked all cabling and pluged into back phone socket and even cliped the bt wires back an inch and rewired to nice clean copper, new filter etc.
Do these readings indicate any problems to anyone? its 2.52km as crow flys from exchange with the road route i'd say 3k - 3.5k

Mode: ADSL2
Type: ANNEX_A

Downstream     Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 1208 kbps 471 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 11.8 15.4
Attenuation (dB): 61.0 36.9
Output Power (dBm): 0.0 12.3

Super Frames: 254023 254020
RS Correctable Errors: 4221 64915
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 1 122

HEC Errors: 3 0
Total Cells: 44109 19851
Data Cells: 1153877 216456
Bit Errors: 0 0
9 REPLIES 9
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Who's good at working out if connection speeds are about right?

Attenuation says line = about 4.4km which is consistent with your other information.
Speed is below par but the high SNRM would probably explain that.
So, yes it's about right but why is the SNRM high - some sort of errors on the line are suggested?
richster
Grafter

so snrm errors, how do we go about attempting to correct these, i do not dare ask talk talk to do anything because they may charge me for sending some guy from the other side of the world from one of there comunication centres 😕
or shall i wait for you guys to hook it up and get some reasonable solution ?
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: richster
or shall i wait for you guys to hook it up and get some reasonable solution ?

Absolutely.
The errors may be "historical" or not affect other ISP's kit in the same way.
Post your router stats once you've been connected for quite a few hours, e.g. overnight.
richster
Grafter

stats attached, and it aint Be its hellhole talktalk lol
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: richster
talktalk lol

Sorry, got confused with another topic.....
I meant post stats after you've been switched from (TT) to PN and connected for a while.
richster
Grafter

lol okay, just so you know though, it just re sync'd a minute ago new connection
ADSL Modulation : ADSL2 
Cable Status : ADSL Link Up 
Virtual Circuit : PVC-0PVC-1PVC-2PVC-3PVC-4PVC-5PVC-6PVC-7
Connection Type : PPPoE/PPPoA
Network Status : Connected
Connection Up Time : 0:00:01:21
Downstream Line Rate : 640 kbps
Upstream Line Rate : 465 kbps

Mode: ADSL2
Type: ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 640 kbps 465 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 12.6  14.7
Attenuation (dB): 63.0  36.9 
Output Power (dBm): 0.0  12.3 

Super Frames: 12326 12330
RS Correctable Errors: 3293 1476
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 1 12

HEC Errors: 1 0
Total Cells: 1003577 444528
Data Cells: 237871 17599
Bit Errors: 0 0

sorry to plus net, were moving to you and hope you can fix our problems later on when were connected Smiley
Electron

Certainly hope someone at PlusNet can sort something out.  I was with BT for a long time and using BT vision became impossible due to download rate of 245kb/s. They tell me it's the internal wiring but as soon as I cancelled the vision, (unusable so why pay for it) 36 hours later it suddenly went up to 3400, STILL on the same wiring, but this was short lived. Trying the BT speedtester even failed while on low speeds but I saw that the profile was set to 250kb/s, now it has doubled to 500kb/s, but who sets these and why can't they give the service I am paying for? Will they still control this when PlusNet take over my phone and Broadband, which is presently being processed?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Sounds like there might have been some interference coming from somewhere on the line, was the BT vision box plugged into the phone line or the ethernet on the router?
Regarding the control of the profile, that's still governed by the DLM equipment at the exchange but we can initiate resets and request profile changes if it's ADSL or ADSL2+. Unfortunately we don't yet have the same control over fibre but that should come along in due time.
If it's a line fault then we'll happily investigate it for you, hopefully it won't be that though - or if it is, fingers crossed it gets resolved with the switchover. Either way please let us know if there's anything we can do once the move is complete Smiley
Electron

Thank you Matt for your comments and help.  I am a happy bunny as the download speed is now a steady 3300+ kb/s.  It's quite amazing the difference this makes. 
Undecided Angry Crazy....BT
Smiley Cheesy ;D.....PLUSNET, Hooray.
Incidentally still on same internal wiring, just for test to prove BT wrong, now got a wireless USB plug in my PC and Thomson router from yourselves is going onto the main socket in another room.
Update, now done this and the wireless connection is showing very good with no loss of download speed.