Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White-list and black-list for Postini spam filter

bobp
Grafter

Re: White-list and black-list for Postini spam filter

Quote from: Mad
Quote from: bobp
Given that Squirrel now forwards to the correct address, and moves mail to the correct box (or did 5 mins ago when I tried it) what is the advantage of one over the other?
bobp

I've just found it's doing this. Wasn't doing it yesterday when I went through our webmail accounts!
I try to go through the mailboxes online at least once a day so I can remove unmarked spam before either of us downloads it. This new facility will save a lot of time. Thanks, to whoever implemented it.

and a week later
Thanks for that Martin, I didn't realise the buttons had changed where they sent stuff to.
In that case I've been doing the right thing all along. I didn't mention it before because I thought those buttons weren't for Postini but for the older spam detection system but still used them out of habit after going onto Postini last weekend.
Just looked at the sent folders in webmail and see they're going to the new addresses now. Oh well, I didn't waste too much time sending them off manually from my Mail program! Now I won't need to post any more to the forum page either.

bobp
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Given that Squirrel now forwards to the correct address, and moves mail to the correct box (or did 5 mins ago when I tried it) what is the advantage of one over the other?
bobp

I've just found it's doing this. Wasn't doing it yesterday when I went through our webmail accounts!
I try to go through the mailboxes online at least once a day so I can remove unmarked spam before either of us downloads it. This new facility will save a lot of time. Thanks, to whoever implemented it.

and a week later
Thanks for that Martin, I didn't realise the buttons had changed where they sent stuff to.
In that case I've been doing the right thing all along. I didn't mention it before because I thought those buttons weren't for Postini but for the older spam detection system but still used them out of habit after going onto Postini last weekend.
Just looked at the sent folders in webmail and see they're going to the new addresses now. Oh well, I didn't waste too much time sending them off manually from my Mail program! Now I won't need to post any more to the forum page either.

bobp

Sorry eagle-eyed bob, not clear in my latest reply.
Yes, I knew they're now sent straight to the spam folders but didn't know they were now emailed to the new spam training for Postini.
Were they both changed at the same time (which was before we were moved over to Postini)?
I've answered that last for myself looking at webmail. Yes, the two things happened at once, so Postini spam training was implemented a few days before we went onto Postini.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've only just found the webmail options relating to these buttons today (bottom of display preferences). Have they always been there?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I'm not certain but I found them only recently too.
David
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

They've been there a good while. Our webmail Sent folders are showing messages to the old spam reporting addresses from the end of August last year, so I guess that's approx when the reporting buttons first appeared. I don't recall having to set them up via Options; I think they just materialised one day. It might be do do with whether or not you have Spam folders showing up though.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It isn't the reporting buttons that we were referring to, those did appear last August and were announced in various places. However, as far as I know the options controlling actions to be taken after reporting were a later addition. The question was - how much later?
David
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Sorry 'spraxyt', I didn't know about any further options till just now after reading your reply. As they give an option for moving non-spam after reporting it like that recently implemented for moving spam, I would assume they appeared at the same time that happened, i.e. just over a week ago.
Very useful, that action anyway, saving time on moving non-spam back into the Inbox!
Thanks very much for pointing it out.
Bookman
Grafter

Yes, thanks for pointing out that preference choice - I've set mine to delete the spam after sending.
Yesterday afternoon, in Manage My Email, I directed my spam to the Webmail Spam box instead of the Inbox. It started to work but some marked spam was still going into the Inbox. This morning I've got loads of new marked spam in both the Inbox and the Spam box. Can someone explain this? Surely, if it's marked as spam by Postini it should go to the Spam box now - otherwise, what's the point of it all?
I had a lot of problems yesterday with webmail and spent ages trying to get it to work (see other thread on "Problems deleting spam mail..."). This morning when I logged in to Webmail, the Inbox only showed a `Spam' button at the top and no `Not Spam' button. So I couldn't send false positives using a button, only false negatives. Later on, after I had gone to the Spam box and back again to the Inbox, I found the Inbox now had both buttons!
I get the impression there are a lot of bugs in this system still. Although I must say that Postini, for me, is being accurate (so far).
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

This morning I've got loads of new marked spam in both the Inbox and the Spam box.

Hmm, odd. Do you mind if I go have a look and see if I can figure out what's going on?
I had a lot of problems yesterday with webmail and spent ages trying to get it to work

I'll go look at that other thread too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Bookman
Grafter

Chris, help yourself to it! Anything to get the problems sorted. I deliberately haven't deleted or moved any messages from any of my Webmail boxes this morning except for a couple of unmarked spams that I reported via the button and they got auto deleted.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Now that is odd, I've given things a kick here to refresh your mail component to make sure it wasn't corrupted in any way. Can you check over the next 24 hours and see if they still come into both mailboxes?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Bookman
Grafter

Will do. Thanks
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Since setting webmail so that it moves non-spam from Spam to my Inbox after reporting via the Notspam button, I find that it initially copies it to the Inbox and only actually moves it if I report it a second time, which means I end up with it in my Inbox twice. Not much of a problem really but I'm sure that's not how it's supposed to work! It's happened both times I've found false positives since I changed the setting, so isn't just a one-off.
Oh yes, and before anyone asks, I have the copying option off.
Bookman
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Now that is odd, I've given things a kick here to refresh your mail component to make sure it wasn't corrupted in any way. Can you check over the next 24 hours and see if they still come into both mailboxes?

I now know what caused this problem and have sorted it. Yesterday the first page of my Inbox showed lots of marked spam messages with a time only in the date column, not day and time. So I assumed they were new. This morning I found the same thing happening, but luckily I still had a copy of the screenshot of yesterday's page that I sent you. They were the same messages showing, except for two. So these must have been a remnant from when I switched the settings a couple of days ago to send marked spam to the Spam box. They seem to have been preserved with the server thinking each day that they were today's messages and therefore appearing at the top of the page every time. I've now deleted them and expect it will work as expected now.
Looking on the bright side, for the few days that I've been running Postini it has been very accurate except for a couple of false positives on the first day. So far, as accurate as my Thunderbird filters were when I was downloading everything. It seems to have learned fast.
One problem I foresee is that many people won't make the effort to train the filters. I've just gone through 2500 spam messages this morning, scanning the titles to make sure there are no false positives. And many of those titles are downright disgusting. So that's another reason people won't want to make the effort. Which means the sooner you can get white/black lists working thew better!
Mad Moggies - since started directing marked spam to my Webmail Spam box I haven't had anything that should not be there. So I'm pleased to say I can't give any opinion on the problem.    Wink  But I hope it gets sorted for you!
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Since setting webmail so that it moves non-spam from Spam to my Inbox after reporting via the Notspam button, I find that it initially copies it to the Inbox and only actually moves it if I report it a second time, which means I end up with it in my Inbox twice.

Seems to have fixed itself (though that was for a different mail address, so it might not have done!).