cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which wifi extender

nitrams69
Grafter

Which wifi extender

Hi what's a good wifi extender to work with plusnet technicolor router, don't want to spend a fortune just something that works.
10 REPLIES 10
Mathias
Grafter

Re: Which wifi extender

prob best just to buy a better router as its known for poor wifi range...
nitrams69
Grafter

So even with extender will it be rubbish.
nitrams69
Grafter

anyone using extender ?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I also went for the option of a better router as it gives me much more flexibility. Sorry.
quintusIV
Dabbler

Quote from: tijara33
I also went for the option of a better router as it gives me much more flexibility. Sorry.

Hello,
I hope you do not mind me coming in on this question, I am thinking of changing the Technicolor router which is supplied, can you tell me which router you bought and how much difference it made, I have a tablet which is purgatory!! to use and I am trying to get the problem sorted, I got a "wifi analyser" app and I found channels 1,6 and 11 crowded yet PlusNet say these are the channels we should use  Angry  Huh ,  I found no less than 5!! ISPS using the same channel 1 on my tablet .
I got several of these "apps" and they recorded the same problem , channels 1,6 and 11 all in use.
Thank you.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

can you tell me which router you bought and how much difference it made

Only too happy to help. I'm using an Asus RT-N56U, dual band router. As an OAP I'm no IT geek so I was delighted at just how easy it was to set up. It's situated upsatirs & I'm typing this downstairs on my latop, 2 rooms displaced. I lose virtually no speed on the 5 Ghz chanel & very little on the 2.4. As with all routers, positioning is important.
I've been using it, trouble free, for 18 months & find it to be in a totally different league compared with the Thomson rubbish.  Smiley
quintusIV
Dabbler

Hello, thank you for your reply :).  I am going to try and change the channel on my router, but I have just bought a Linksys E 2500 dual band , which I will use at some point, it got good reviews and it said it was easy to set up, I am also not to tech inclined so I need something easy to understand  :-[.
jack21
Grafter

My penn'orth; I use Netgear WGR614G routers to provide or extend wifi from a modem (or modem/router if it has poor wifi) - they give excellent range and can be had for around £6 incl P&P off eBay .....  bargains!
Depending how you want to use them, they need a wee bit of setting-up, not a lot, and the ones I've used perform happily 7*24 without issue.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Back on topic and to the OP.  I've used the Devolo AV200 range with the remote WiFi AP.
One thing to consider when setting up a multiple WiFi AP implementation is if you make the SSID and pass-phrase on all APs the same and turn off their DHCP services, clients will automatically and transparently roam to the best AP, whilst retaining the IP address assigned by the primary router.
In my set up, I can roam around the house with the iDevice or laptop and remain connected with no discernment of which AP I'm associated with.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

amcclean
Rising Star

I have one of these: 300Mbps Universal WiFi Range Extender TL-WA854RE. it works well It syncs with my router downstairs at about 150Mbps
My father has an earlier model which used to drop out but a firmware update sorted it.
I'm now looking for anew router as my tp-link keeps dropping the 2.4Ghz signal for no reason.
podman