Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which socket?

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Which socket?

I'm trying to get the best I can out of my connection from the router to my socket but its getting a bit confusing which socket I need, or face plate whatever, I'm aware BT don't like you messing  Roll_eyes 
I was particularly looking at adsl nations gear can anyone advise on what I'm after, trying to have a filtered socket at the main going to a filtered extension.
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Which socket?

Assuming you have a standard master socket you want one of these http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php but you may also need an insert tool if you have wires attached to the removable part of the faceplate
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Jim what about the extension socket?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Extension sockets are connected to the ADSLNation faceplate using the special IDC tool (needs to be bought separately).
You can connect an extension socket to either the phone terminals or the broadband terminals for either ADSL or phone but not both
Making the connections
The XTE-2005 has 6 IDC terminals marked B,A,5,4,3,2. Use an IDC tool to insert (punch) extension wires into the terminals. To connect your existing voice extensions connect the wires to the numbered terminals in the same order as removed from the original faceplate.The extensions connected to the numbered terminals can be used for voice only as the ADSL signal has been filtered out. If you would like to extend the unfiltered ADSL signal use the terminals labelled B & A. Standard wiring colours and number to letter conversion information is shown in the chart overleaf.

There is a good chance your extension wiring will degrade the ADSL signal even with this method
If you want to get the best out of your connection move the router so it connects directly to the master socket through a faceplate filter then either run an ethernet cable from the router to the computer or go wireless
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

There is a good chance your extension wiring will degrade the ADSL signal even with this method

I am aware of that m8, this post will give you the background of what I'm trying to achieve
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73205.0.html
Its a bit long winded so to summarize and stop you losing interest  Wink What I'm trying to achieve is a hard wired PS3 in my dining room which is currently on wireless.
Option 1
Use the telephone extension that is already in there to plug a spare router in, this I know will degrade the line a touch but I'm hoping that putting the new filtered socket will offset the degrading and give me a similar but stabler connection than my current wireless setup.
(wireless setup no probs, no disconections and has 95% signal just not reccomended for PS3 gaming)

Option 2
Fit the new box and some good quality RJ11 to the original router and use ethernet adapters and  the 240v sockets in the dining room, I am still investigating the adapters regarding stability and interferance.
http://www.netgear.co.uk/wallplugged_ethernet_adapter_hdx101.php this type only cheaper  Smiley
Ideally cat 5 would be the way to go but for now would be a nightmare so the way I see it is if Ican spend roughly £40 to achieve this it will do for now
Thanks for input
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Taking Option 1
If I understand you correctly you want to fit a filtered faceplate then connect the telephone extension wires to the broadband only connection then connect a router for the PS3 to that. I assume you are aware that if you do that the other router will need to be switched off as you can't have two routers working on the same line
If I am correct then fitting an extra  filter will have no effect at all as the ADSL connection on the filter is completely unfiltered
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Yes was aware of the two router situation thats where I went wrong last time along with some bad wiring  Embarrassed although I didn't have them powered up it still wrecked my connection *see the other topic linked. The idea is I have a 1port wired router and a wireless setup, in general the wireless setup will be running for the whole house to access then later on when the kids are in bed disco and power down my wireless and switch to wired for gaming. So I guess I only need adsl to the extension.
To clarify I need the first box you linked wired to the adsl extension to a normal telephone socket unfiltered?
Also have you heard anything about the ethernet adapters?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Regarding the ethernet adapters I assume you are talking about the Homeplug adapters - http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/
Only problem with a normal telephone socket is that the connection is wrong so you will need a BT/RJ11 adapter - a spare filter will do it.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Nice link thats exactly what I'm talking about  Cool any experiance or know someone who has? I'm wondering how other electrical devices on the same main affect them.
I have a RJ11/BT adapter, two came free with my voip ATA box and I'M only using on of them. Is there such an animal as a faceplate with rj11 on?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
Is there such an animal as a faceplate with rj11 on?

Yes, or buy a filtered faceplate (there are several designs).
Or just use an old modem lead - I keep a couple for exactly this purpose, ADSL router/modem to BT socket.  Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Oldjim
..............There is a good chance your extension wiring will degrade the ADSL signal even with this method
If you want to get the best out of your connection move the router so it connects directly to the master socket through a faceplate filter then either run an ethernet cable from the router to the computer or go wireless

Just worth noting that going wireless will not necessarily give BETTER performance than extension wiring. Depends on local conditions, position of router, computer, PS3 etc and of course the length and quality of the extension wiring.
Personally I'd try the extension wiring first and hopefully avoid the additional problems of wireless.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Ok I'm thinking buy one of these http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php and connect to main router via this http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=134 (insignificant I know)
Then test my main set up for any line imrovement, then wire in the extension(adsl side) and try the same router plugged in to the extension bt socket. Any noticable line degradation then back out with the extension which I guess is the weakest link in all this.  If its ok then job sorted and If not can move on to a cunning plan involving cat5 which could be a nightmare.  Grin
Researching wallplugs it would appear that in general you get nowhere near the advertised speeds and in some cases by as much as 90% of advertised, the more effective ones are getting out of my price bracket.
Yes/No on this idea gentlemen?
Still not sure about the extension socket if it needs to be a filtered plate  Embarrassed I would rather get rid of the bt sockets that there and get a fit for purpose RJ11 if poss they appear to be inexpensive and the quality of the original is in doubt wether or not I actually paid good money for a decent make or just got ripped on a cheap one. Angry
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It doesn't need to be a filtered plate - if you are taking the feed from the ADSL only connection in the ADSLNation filtered faceplate then a simple RJ11 faceplate would do the job
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Muchos Gracios  Smiley Now wheres that credit card with some limit left on  Grin
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Ok huge change of mind today  Grin I was in my local pc shop/fixers and he did me a pair of 85mbps Homeplugs. I was in two minds as they were a brand I'd never came across but thought what the heck safes a load of hassle and for £45 quid was equivalent to getting them online if I included delivery.
So far so good plugged them in and they worked  Cool They came with a test utility which shows them at 82.2mbps but thats where the most people complain that this speed is nowhere near actual throughput. Can you think of any free apps that will let me test the actual throughput from linked devices or could I just somehow time a file I know the size of and work the speed out from that?