cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which router ?

deezi

Which router ?

I've finally decided to upgrade from the Binatone adsl 500 model (dont laugh) that i was originally given by plusnet to a new router.
My problem is i dont have a clue what to look for.  My friend has a Netgear Wireless-G DGB111G and has no problems but ive been looking at the Netgear DG834UK ADSL Router.
I'm looking to spend around £40 or £50
Can anyone help with what i should be looking for or advise on a product ?
thx in advance
19 REPLIES 19
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Which router ?

Do you need a wireless device or just wired?
deezi

it wouldnt really matter to be honest
Loombucket
Grafter

You won't find much better than the Netgear DG834 - its been around since Adam was a lad, now on it's 3rd revision, it's reliable, easy to set up and for home use it has all the features you're likely to need.
I'd say go for it.
Not applicable

Quote from: Loombucket
its been around since Adam was a lad

Yes, but Adam did prefer Apple's though didn't he?
/Back on topic...
I'd also say that you can't go far wrong with Netgear stuff. Its as well made and reliable as many other brands, its well supported, and easier to understand than many other ones (IMO)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I agree about the DG834, though I've heard some people say the "PN" model is not as good as the others.
I've got a DG834GT by the way.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Not to step on anyones toes, but I had issues with the DG834G v2.  It always incorrectly reporting the SNR, causing resyncs. I now use a speedtouch 585v6, and its the most stable router I have had. Record is 68days uptime, until wife turned it off to plug in the hoover ::).  Now situated in the attic, out of the way. Its your choice, but I would go with a speedtouch or the 834GT, which I have heard is better then the 834G.
amcclean
Rising Star

I'm sure I read that some chipsets were no longer working to their full potential due to changes at the BT side of things. I have a Linksys that apparently uses one of the affected chipsets.
I'd like to look at changing to a chipset that's not affected by this issue but I can't find the details anymore.

A
johnathome
Dabbler

I bought the Netgear DG834 this week - up and running in 5 - 10 mins using the installation CD which is really easy to use - happy so far  Grin  Speed increased today
There is some very good RouterStats proggy's about for this Modem/Router
http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm#routerstats
God
Grafter

Yup the Netgear D384g (£41 Amazon) is an absolute delight. In fact you dont even need the CD. Just type 192.168.0.1 or www.routerlogin.com and connect (via supplied cable) to a PC and using a wizard and / or easy software set up wired and wireless access... simple pimple, a lovely bit of kit.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

I've a Netgear 834G. Holds on like a leech  with SNR even in to negative. ISTM that the only blips come when the substation a few doors away throws a wobbly. Comes back pdq to.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
barquerole
Grafter

If you are going to buy a Netgear 834G, make sure you get v4,  which uses a Broadcom chipset.
The earlier versions have an AR-7 chipset which is prone to line drops, particularly on longer lines.
Netgear were supposed to be bringing out an upgrade to the firmware for v3 to counter this problem, but they haven't done it yet.
johnathome
Dabbler

Quote from: barquerole
If you are going to buy a Netgear 834G, make sure you get v4,  which uses a Broadcom chipset.
The earlier versions have an AR-7 chipset which is prone to line drops, particularly on longer lines.
Netgear were supposed to be bringing out an upgrade to the firmware for v3 to counter this problem, but they haven't done it yet.

A v3 Firmware update is out now dated Jan' 2008
The DG 834 I purchased this week is actually a v3  Huh
mcgurka
Grafter

For what its worth, the DG834's are good, but the most reliable router I've found to date (no its not the HG2700 or the voyager, sorry PN, I just think they are rubbish. An 834 synchs at 8megs, and the hg synchs at 3 on the same line.... something up there me thinks!) is the 3com Officonnect Series. Fair enough, its a bit more expensive, but deals extreamly well with multiple sessions and has things such as Qos built in so you can prioritise voip etc.
Linky - http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.asp?pn=3CRWDR200A-75-UK
Loombucket
Grafter

Quote from: john
Quote from: barquerole

A v3 Firmware update is out now dated Jan' 2008
The DG 834 I purchased this week is actually a v3  Huh

Don't worry - the DG834 latest revision is v3 which is fine.  The DG834G (like the 834 but with wireless) v3 has issues which were fixed with the v4.
Rest easy, you've got the latest revision and it's a great little unit - unusually tenacious when dealing with a poor ADSL signal.  I've supplied and installed dozens over the last 3 or 4 years with not a single problem or failure.