cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is best: I-Plate or Master Faceplate Filter?

mikealexander
Grafter

Which is best: I-Plate or Master Faceplate Filter?

I read recently about the i-Plate (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3838-video-guide-how-to-install-a-bt-i-plate.html), which in many cases can improve the speed of your broadband connection. Having done a little more background research, I'm not sure whether a Master Faceplate Filter (such as http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16134&cat=262&page=1 or http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3306) provides all the benefits of an I-Plate, plus a built-in microfilter that also means I don't need external microfilters on my extensions.
For background, I have a BT NTE5 master socket, two extension sockets from the master and live approx. 1.4km from my exchange. My ADSL modem/router reports the following stats:
DownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed7648 kbps448 kbps
Line Attenuation31 db7.5 db
Noise Margin7 db26 db

Can anyone advise on whether a Master Faceplate Filter will give me all the benefits of an I-Plate and what improvement in speed I'm likely to see?
14 REPLIES 14
James
Grafter

Re: Which is best: I-Plate or Master Faceplate Filter?

Hi Mike,
To be honest, I wouldn't expect you to see any improvement in speed at all.  Removing interleaving might bump your speed up a bit though.
I doubt you'd see any difference between an iPlate and a filtered faceplate.
mikealexander
Grafter

Thanks Jameseh.
Why wouldn't you expect any increase in speed? (Even a small increase would be appreciated!) From what I've read, almost all homes with extension wiring from the master socket (as mine) should see some benefit with an I-Plate.
Does a Master Faceplate Filter offer the same "Bell Wire filtering" (?) as an I-Plate?
How would I go about removing interleaving, and what are the pros/cons of doing so?
James
Grafter

Hi Mike,
Pretty sure that the only reason you're not getting the full 8Mbps is the fact you have interleaving turned on which reduces sync speed slightly.
Interleaving improves stability but slightly increases latency (ie: ping times are a little higher).
I can have it removed, but there's a small chance that it could make your line unstable.  It takes one working day to remove and would take a further working day to turn back on again.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

One check is to connect only the router to the test socket and see if there is any change in sync speed or noise margin.
If it is minimal then your internal wiring is having no effect and James is correct. If there is a significant  increase in sync speed or noise margin then fitting an ADSLNation filtered faceplate my help.
mikealexander
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
One check is to connect only the router to the test socket and see if there is any change in sync speed or noise margin.
If it is minimal then your internal wiring is having no effect and James is correct. If there is a significant  increase in sync speed or noise margin then fitting an ADSLNation filtered faceplate my help.

I tried this and the only change reported by my modem/router was the downstream connection speed increased from 7648 kbps to 7712 kbps. All other values remained the same. I guess this means an I-Plate won't make any difference for me?
Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Mike,
Pretty sure that the only reason you're not getting the full 8Mbps is the fact you have interleaving turned on which reduces sync speed slightly.
Interleaving improves stability but slightly increases latency (ie: ping times are a little higher).
I can have it removed, but there's a small chance that it could make your line unstable.  It takes one working day to remove and would take a further working day to turn back on again.

I'd like to try removing interleaving please. In addition to the possible speed increase, I use VoIP a lot (Skype mainly) so lowering latency would be good. Do I need to raise a ticket for this?
James
Grafter

Nope, don't worry.
I'll get the order sorted out now.  It'll complete on Monday.
mikealexander
Grafter

Thanks Jameseh. Is there a standard time of day such changes are made, or do I get any notification that the change has been made? If removing interleaving does cause stability problems what should I expect to see?
Quote from: mikealexander
I tried this and the only change reported by my modem/router was the downstream connection speed increased from 7648 kbps to 7712 kbps. All other values remained the same. I guess this means an I-Plate won't make any difference for me?

I've just noticed that since connecting directly to the test socket, my downstream noise margin is fluctuating between 6db and 9db. I'm sure it didn't do this before. Is this significant?
mikealexander
Grafter

I've just rebooted my modem/router a second time (the first was after I connected directly to the test socket) and the downstream connection speed has dropped back down to 7648 kbps (still connected directly to the test socket). So I suppose that is conclusive proof that an I-Plate will provide me with absolutely no benefit whatsoever?
James
Grafter

Normally it's very early in the morning.
I doubt an iplate would make any difference to you.
mikealexander
Grafter

It's now about a month since I had interleaving enabled, and I have to say I haven't seen any increase in speed. Currently, my line is syncing at 7392 kbps, which is lower than it was previously.
However, I think I picked up somewhere that the noise margin at the point the modem re-syncs (I tend to reboot the router to do this) has an impact on the sync speed. Is this correct? My noise margin appears to fluctuate between 3 db and 10 db at various times of the day. Am I correct in saying that I should try re-syncing when the noise margin is at its highest?
Also, I'm still thinking about installing either an I-plate or a master faceplate filter. My modem/router is connected to my master socket via an external filter. There are two (unused) extensions wired in to the socket (they were put in when the house was built) and I also have a phone socket doubler adapter connected to the ADSL filter, from which I have connected my main house phone and a Skype Dualphone. If nothing else, installing a master faceplate filter would remove the external filter and make it look a little better.
So, in addition to my noise margin questions above, can anyone tell me:

• Does a master faceplate filter offer all of the same benefits as an I-plate?

• With the extension setup I have, shouldn't I expect to see even a small increase in speed?

• Is there anything specific I should look for when buying a master faceplate filter?

• Are there any specific master faceplate filters anyone would specifically recommend?

Thanks.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: mikealexander
My noise margin appears to fluctuate between 3 db and 10 db at various times of the day. Am I correct in saying that I should try re-syncing when the noise margin is at its highest?

That may be dangerous, depending what your target SNRM is set to.
7dB is a big swing and if your target is 6 you'll definitely disconnect. If it's 9 you may just hang on. Undecided
Get a filtered faceplate, it's tidier and does the same job.
Either main brand (ADSLnation or Pressac/BT) will do fine, choose whichever looks better in your view.
If your main phone is DECT I'd put a filter on it as well, so it's double-filtered.
mikealexander
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
That may be dangerous, depending what your target SNRM is set to.
7dB is a big swing and if your target is 6 you'll definitely disconnect. If it's 9 you may just hang on. Undecided

Sorry, I don't really understand any of that!  Wink
Is there an easy-to-understand guide to what all this stuff means so I can understand it in terms of optimising my broadband performance?
Quote from: HPsauce
If your main phone is DECT I'd put a filter on it as well, so it's double-filtered.

Yes, my main line and my Skype Dualphone are both DECT with the base units in very close proximity to my master socket and ADSL modem/router. Will that be affecting my ADSL speed? Does such a double filter arrangement provide real benefits?
James
Grafter

Hi Mike,
I wrote this guide a while back, might be of some help?
link:speed
Getting a filtered faceplate will probably have the same affect as having an iPlate - So you'd probably be best off getting one from ADSLNation.
samuria
Grafter

While your speed is all most at MAX you may get a few K by fitting the plate but more importantly you may do better with a high speed modem cable like this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Belkin-High-Speed-Internet-Modem-Cable-4-6m-15-feet_W0QQitemZ250371010668QQcmd...
The fault with all speeds is no matter how good your line is the last few feet is down to a very poor bit of cable from the router to the phone which can pick up noise and mains hum. The stats reported by the router include this poor cable.
My connection with the bell wire removed were
24/10/08  5696 ds 3
25/10/08  5664 ds 4
26/10/08  5600 ds 6
27/10/08  5664 ds 7
28/10/08  5664 ds 4
29/10/08  5760 ds 2
30/10/08  5504 ds 3
31/10/08  5600 ds 5
With the new box and high speed cable they are now
01/02/09  6208 ds 3
02/02/09  6016 ds 6
03/02/09  6208 ds 6
04/02/09  6272 ds 4
05/02/09  6208 ds 6
06/02/09  6240 ds 4
07/02/09  6144 ds 6
08/02/09  6336 ds 4
09/02/09  6176 ds 6
I would recommend getting the master plate and cable the results speak for them selves