cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which exchange am I on for broadband?

between1and16ch
Grafter

Which exchange am I on for broadband?

Not as simple a question as it might initially seem, and mainly asked for the sake of curiosity.
My phone line and conventional ADSL are supplied from [exchange A]. The recently installed fibre service cabinet is supplied by a fibre cable run directly from [exchange B] (a clever solution by Openreach which overcame the expensive backhaul upgrade problem that [exchange A] would have needed).
Now, on [exchange A] 'VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Red.'  'although not all customers on your exchange may be affected', while [exchange B] is showing green status. I can speculate that the red status could be explained by the sudden explosion of fibre upgrades, and all those upgraded customers will have taken the load off the conventional ADSL service in [exchange A], so it should not be showing overcapacity problems on the ADSL system (Equipment failure would be another matter, and a possible explanation...).
The status checkers say I'm on [exchange A], but that could just be based on old information.
Does any one have any ideas? It is academic in this case, since I'm not experiencing any problems, but it could be useful to know which exchange I should be looking at for future issues?!!!
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Which exchange am I on for broadband?

Moderator note - should we create a new board - Too Difficult - and move this post to it  Embarrassed
itsme
Grafter

Yes because
Quote from: between1and16cha
My phone line and conventional ADSL are supplied from [exchange A]. The recently installed fibre service cabinet is supplied by a fibre cable run directly from [exchange B] (a clever solution by Openreach which overcame the expensive backhaul upgrade problem that [exchange A] would have needed).

I doubt very much that the fibre run directly to exchange b as this would require ducting to be in place. Why have ducting going to a cabinet from 2 exchanges. So the fibre would be going to exchange a then patched into the fibre links between the 2 exchanges.
Be interesting to see if both exchanges use the same WBC nodes but currently can't find the table.
between1and16ch
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Moderator note - should we create a new board - Too Difficult - and move this post to it  Embarrassed

Grin Hehe! Sorry! I wouldn't be asking if I knew or could find the answer though! I'm guessing it'll be a don't know from everyone, but unless this solution becomes a one-off, which I doubt, then it could be useful to others when I do find out. I suspect that BTO are treating it as a 'cross that bridge when we come to it' type of problem, though.
between1and16ch
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Yes because
<snip>
I doubt very much that the fibre run directly to exchange b as this would require ducting to be in place. Why have ducting going to a cabinet from 2 exchanges. So the fibre would be going to exchange a then patched into the fibre links between the 2 exchanges.
Be interesting to see if both exchanges use the same WBC nodes but currently can't find the table.

Good point. They ran the fibre down existing ducting to [exchange A], but since the ducting passed our village, they said they took the fibre into the cabinet in our village as it passed i.e. it didn't go all the way to [exchange A] and then halfway back along the road again!
Edit; [Exchange A] and [Exchange B] are on different area codes for what it's worth, but since the problem as I understand it was backhaul capacity, I assumed that they could have 'simply' upgraded [Exchange A] by the same route if that had been possible?
between1and16ch
Grafter

Actually, don't see why I shouldn't post it;
Exchange A is ESINN
21CN WBC status: Not available
FTTC status: Available in some areas
Exchange B is ESPEB
21CN WBC status: Enabled
FTTC status: RFS date set : 30/06/2012
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you seen the SamKnows map?
itsme
Grafter

Exchange A without WBC can't support FTTC so that's the reason Exchange B is being used.