Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Fibre speed package

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Which Fibre speed package

fed up with my ADSL problems and know it is probably out of the frying pan.... but thought I may as well make the move to fibre now it has become available in my area.
Got a decent quote from PN but sales guy said no point going for the 76mb package as it looks like my line is only capable of 47. However, BT infinity checker estimates 48-65. If I could get over 50 I would go for the 76mb package. Is there any way of getting an accurate estimate?
Is it possible to start with 76 and drop back to 38 if speeds aren't much more than 40 or does that mean changing contracts?
also, it seems infinity lower speed package has upload speed of 9.5mb. Is it correct that both 38 and 76 PN packages have 19mb uploads?
TIA
PT
5 REPLIES 5
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Which Fibre speed package

yes plusnet is 40/20 and 80/20
essentially the 40/20 is just 80/20 but with a cap placed on the account.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: PhyllisTyne

Is it possible to start with 76 and drop back to 38 if speeds aren't much more than 40 or does that mean changing contracts?

I don't think there's an issue with 'regrading' to the lower speed product, it'll probably re-start the 18 month* contract period (if you sign up to 80/20 and find it's not that much above 40mbps so you change after, say, 2 months, you'd start a new 18 month period at that point so it would be a total of 20 months before you're out of minimum contract term).
* 18 months assumes you don't have a special deal with a longer (24 month) agreed contract.
Please also note FTTC can often loose a fair bit of speed over the first few months as the FTTC cabinet gets more lines connected (due to cross-talk), you'll often get near to (or even above) the top estimate initially (especially if you're one of the first connected to your cabinet) but it can (and often does) drop to somewhere in the middle of the (BT) estimate range and, of course, they generally will not accept any speed fault as long as you're above the minimum estimate.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all,
Just to clarify from an official standpoint, we would most definitely offer to downgrade to the 40/20 should there be no real gains to be had on the 80/20 Extra product.
If you'd like to go ahead and arrange the upgrade with the sales team and then just let us know how you get on with the speeds here and we should be able to arrange an instant account change for if this is required.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Adam
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

just tried dslchecker referred to in another thread and get the following so looks like 80/20 is worth a punt.

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean)        65    47.9 19.1    12.6 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 55.4    31.8 19.1     8.6 -- Available