Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Face Plate

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Which Face Plate

Just wondering, been having some plastering done in my house and the BT cable broke. After many attempts to reconnect it I've ended up with no more wire left! The wire itself was brittle, even when I cleaned wire further back the copper was black and just kept breaking. The terminals for the nte5 were also furred up with rust.
Plan is to drill a new hole further away from the front door where I guess it's getting affected by damp which will also give me some spare wire. Question is, which boxes do I need? There seems to be a myriad of different boxes. I also have an adsl nation faceplate which was also furred up. Ideally I would like to go down the route of same filtered faceplate. Should also mention I'm thinking of getting fttc shortly so are certain boxes compatible for both? Any recommendations?
18 REPLIES 18
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Which Face Plate

If you get Fibre, the BT engineer will come out to you, so it might be worth waiting for this.
Otherwise, our master socket guide might come in handy, as might Maplin.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks, so that's confused me a bit more  Smiley Does the BT guy come out to change the box to a fttc friendly box or just to test the line? I'm also assuming here that the engineer won't be too willing to drill new holes and will probably want to go back to same place unless palms are crossed with silver.
I'm sort of familiar with which box is which when it comes to adsl, nte5 back box with a filtered face plate or bb filter. When I look about now though I see lots of BT, supposedly genuine mk3 boxes which have both telephone and adsl sockets built in. Just not sure about compatibility. 
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Any genuine MK3 (or MK2, even MK1) should be fully compatible with any DSL service (ADSLx or VDSL)  Any genuine NTE5 with a good quality microfilter will also do the same job.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I'm assuming that they are also compatible with FTTC?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

FTTC is VDSL (VDSL2 strictly), it's supplied as a DSL service on the copper telephone line from the local cabinet (but it uses much higher frequencies than ADSL).
So, yes,  they are pretty much all compatible with both ADSLx and FTTC.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I bumped into a BT engineer on site who kindly gave me a nte5 box and a mk3 faceplate. He also gave me some crimp connectors so I can attempt to join the broken wire. I still may route it further up the hallway to prevent the damp causing furring up of the terminals again.
He did say just put the nte5 on and if I opted for fibre to use the faceplate but if the faceplate works with both I may as well pop that on as well. He was in a bit of a rush so maybe he just got that bit wrong.
All in all result, my last worry would be, if I get fibre and the engineer comes to check the line he might say they didn't fit that line there but I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it. Hopefully they'll be reasonable about it once they checked it's done properly.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

No worries - the Mk3 will work fine with any flavour of ADSL/VDSL.
On the second point - the BTOR bod won't know, or care, where the NTE was originally.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

OK, nice one. I think I was just a bit concerned about the BT bod because the last time I had one round he was a bit arsey. Hour found a connection for an extension in the box which I told him to just remove if it was a problem, told him I didn't have another phone line but he acted a bit, Yerr, alright I believe you. Didn't find out until later there was one under my bedroom carpet probably fitted by the previous owner.
Finally, what about my router, I have the stock Thompson tg 85 that PN provide. Was going to mount this on wall next to socket but will I need a different one for fibre?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Its a bit more complicated that that.
The box you have now is a combined ADSL modem and router (amongst other things too) which is commonly called a "router".  When you switch to FTTC, BT will install a VDSL modem and PlusNet will supply a fibre router.
...unless by the time you switch to fibre and things change so that an all in one unit becomes standard.  There's lots of discussion around about this, but no fire yet!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Ahh, thanks for the advice. A combined unit would be better, less equipment is good for me. I moved my nte5 btw, much better now. Getting a snr of 4.5 now, hovered between 9 and 6 previously so now I'm getting better sync speeds. I reckon the wire was corroded pretty far up. Great tip from the BT Guy, I coiled up some wire and cable tied it where it meets the roof so if I ever need any slack I have spare cable to pull through. Hopefully that won't be an issue now I'm away from the dampness of the front door.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I hope that coiled-up wire is BT "supplied" cable (or identical standard)?
If you have a choice in position for your new NTE5A it wants to be within a metre or so of a power point if you are going for fibre. Whilst you could have a "Data Extension kit" installed at a location of your choice - this is nothing more than an RJ11 socket installed with twisted pair cable within 30m of the master - but this too would need to be within a metre or so of a mains socket to power the Modem (or a combined modem/router at some future point perhaps).
As far as your current installation goes, I hope you aren't using any "telephone" extension cables between the master socket and the modem/router!
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

No kits, no extensions. Just cut the BT wire and moved the box position a couple of metres down my hallway rather than right next to the front door. It is next to a 240v socket now as well. The coiled up wire is the slack I was left with after moving the box. Rather than snipping it off somewhere near the box I coiled a metre or so up and cable tied it to the fixing point where the cable from the pole is fastened to the house. The BT Guy said they usually do that for situations just like mine where there is no wire left at the socket so they can pull some spare slack through. In my case there was no wire left at the wall and no slack left from the post. Win, win moving the box.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Sounds fine then. I should have been clearer in my post btw that the "Data Extension Kit" is something the engineer installs when you have Fibre installed if you required it. It's only purpose is to put the Modem and possibly any Router in a more "convenient" location for your particular installation.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Sound like I've done the BT guys job for him, not that I'll be able to tell them that  Roll_eyes The box is relocated under my stair where there is the main circuit board. I had already run a surface mounted double 240 socket off this so previously I had to have a wire running under the last step to the phone socket by the front door. Now everything's neat under the stairs with a brand spanking mk3 box. Seems to me fttc seems a bit hit and miss listening to some of the comments! I'll have to dig a bit deeper. To be honest I've never really used my Internet connection to the point where my 4.5 mbps hasn't been adequate. I might even get a bit more now with my line syncing at 6.5+ since I sorted this out.
Was thinking about fibre more because I'm going to cancel my Sky multi room and will be using catch up players more.