Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which DNS?

TomMelly
Grafter

Which DNS?

Hi,
My router sets its DNS to 212.159.6.10 and 212.159.6.9 (cdns02.plus.net and cdns01.plus.net respectively).
However, the plusnet support pages state that I should use 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50 (which seem to resolve to the same host names).
Alternatively, I could switch to OpenDNS...
I've noticed what seem to be intermittent DNS problems over the last week or so (sites suddenly disappear and return a 404 iirc, only to reappear a moment later).
Any suggestions/tips/whatever as to the best route to take (heh)?
Tnx.
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Which DNS?

i use Google as the first choice and Plusnet second
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI TomMelly,
Just to clarify, 212.159.6.9/10 and 212.159.13.49/50 do resolve to the same place.
Jojo Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I use OpenDNS as primary and PN as secondary.
For me being able to block sites via ODS (having young 'uns) is why I use that instead of google.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I can't see the point of having Google/OpenDNS first and PN second.
PN's DNS servers are in the same buildings as the gateways we connect through and should therefore give a faster response.
Having Google (which always tells the truth) or OpenDNS (which sometimes tells sponsored lies) as the backup when Plusnet's fails makes more sense to me.
Googles IPs are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

My reason is clearly stated, I prefer the control it gives me. Which may be of use to the OP.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TomMelly
Grafter

Thanks - I'll go with OpenDNS followed by plusnet (I'm assuming that if I give the OpenDNS servers a lower metric, they will get used first - is that right?)
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

You may find GRC's DNS Benchmark useful.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
fourfourdevon
Grafter

GRC's benchmark showed that in reality OpenDNS was faster than Plusnet, actually, it showed BT's Business product DNS servers to be fastest, but as BT could cut those off from Plusnet customers at any time and as OpenDNS offers lots of interesting options I went with OpenDNS.
FYI, OpenDNS do not alter DNS in response to sponsorship, I am aware of three circumstances where they change from the norm, 1) when you enter incorrect domain details, and then they show you a google like search page, 2) they had to do some fancy footwork to make sure that google and the third item worked properly together 3) (the third item) when you tell them to.
However, I would NOT use OpenDNS and someone else's DNS.  Firstly OpenDNS has an extremely resilient system and your unlikely to find it fails, but the no no of mixing stuff with OpenDNS (or DynDNS or any of the other configurable DNS services) is that one set of DNS servers will respond one way and another set another way, which just strikes me as undesirable at least, and at worst potentially disastrous.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If I mess up a domain name it should come up with a Server not Found.
If I want to search I use Google.
Simple!
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Yes?  And how did anything I say imply you shouldn't do or want that?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You described the circumstances under which OpenDNS does not conform to the way a DNS server should respond.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

I also said "as OpenDNS offers lots of interesting options I went with OpenDNS" and without those none conformant responses none of those interesting options would exist.
The choice is between DNS as it was designed, or DNS with extra bits.  You make it sound like its a choice between DNS as it was designed, or DNS that's broken.
I've been using OpenDNS both in a home and business network environments for several years now, the only application it slightly broke was Exchange Server, but that was easily fixed.
TomMelly
Grafter

Correlation is not causation, but all my DNS problems seem to have gone now I've switched to OpenDNS...
fourfourdevon
Grafter

I just re-read your OP.  For the record, if you are getting 404 errors, then its not a DNS problem at all, since a 404 error is generated on the server side of things, so if your talking to the server to get a 404 error, DNS has already done it's job.