cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does "Estimated Line Speed" come from?

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Where does "Estimated Line Speed" come from?

Even more so here, estimate is 1.0meg, range 0.75 to 2.5.  Current synch speed is 4544 and has been over 4 at all times except when there's been an actual fault. 
Is there a way to get the underlying estimate updated?  It's sort of lurking there as an excuse for Plusnet to disclaim responsibility for any speed over 1.0meg.  It's certainly been mentioned.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Unfortunately not. The data is gathered periodically and the data base is updated similarly. Your DS range may eventually update to 0.75 to 4 but don't count on it. In any event, it's not just what Plusnet think, they'll go by the estimated speed because it's the 1Mbps that BTw will go by.
jem16's is showing what I would have expected it to show. Why some don't............
Noting your comment in another thread where you've been trying to get "things" moving? (but I'm not sure what) - I'd have to re-read your 2704n thread to get a better picture - just done, now I've remembered - I would go with whatever the more knowledgable chap who is going to be back Tuesday is suggesting. It does sound like he's trying to be helpful.
Note, it's often better to keep all these things about your connection and problems in one thread that you started, as it's then a lot easier to get an overall picture of things. Hopping between threads can often mean things get missed, even misunderstood Wink
hadden
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
...whether that's because John has got his connection configured to ADSL2

For the sake of completeness, for several months I've allowed my connection to choose ADSL1, ADSL2 or ADSL2+ and it chose ADSL2 (At that time there was no benefit in ADSL1 and a poorer speed for ADSL2+).
The only over-ride I have in place is to push the the SNR margin down a little bit (from about 6dB to about 2.5dB).
Anotherone
Champion

I had that sneaky thought at the back of my mind John, remembering all the problems we had with your line, what was it, a good 2½yrs ago now IIRC. That could influence the value and the way the figures are provided.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
My download speed has taken a big hit over the last week or two - by about 10 Mbps.
I'd send a pretty graph showing the trend over the last 6 months, but plusnet won't let me.
The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

That's for a 400KB file.

To repeat myself, here is a graph of the last 6 months downloads:-

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anotherone
Champion

If you really want it looked at seriously, you'd be better starting your own thread and giving as much info as you can - eg. stats if able, make of Cab, make of Modem. Result from the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test. Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post (no need to grab an image). Results from pingtest.net.
Also link to the above graph, any other data you think might be useful
hadden
Grafter

@aesmith
My previous line problem that Anotherone refers to (and also was the main non-Plusnet help with exactly three years ago) is relevant in this thread as it started because my line had degraded and I was being fobbed up with the BT estimate.
However, I had lots of data and a note of the Fault Threshold Rate (FTR) for my line when it had been better. The FTR was a key factor in proving that my line was more capable than the BT estimate and initiating my line speed restoration.
Anotherone
Champion

As you say John, FTRs are important on ADSL(2+) which is why you never want low speeds during the training period or drops in connection - (even from manual intervention) when DLM may act raising the Target SNRM with resultant slower speed.
Also worth pointing out to aesmith, that whatever your line is giving you, that will not change even with a change in provider, and where you only have a choice of BTw resellers and stuck with 20CN, it can be no fun! If you happen to have a poor line and there's no reasons why it shouldn't be better, then a good ISP would try and resolve the problem. In aesmith's case the line seems to be performing OK, it's the Network lag/ping that seems to be the issue, which could be in a number of places.
aesmith
Pro

I'm now wondering if our 1.0meg estimated line speed comes from the fixed speed services,  that would make sense because our D/S attenuation is out of range for 2meg fixed, but eligible for 1meg.
Anotherone
Champion

I doubt that very much. Have your ever put your number into the DSL Checker to see what it says (don't post your phone number)?
aesmith
Pro

Interesting, and even more nonsensical.  I thought I had used that checker, but apparently not because it's not coming up with what I thought I remembered.  The BTW checker today says ...
[tt]Featured Products  Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)  Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)  Downstream Range(Mbps)  Availability Date
ADSL Max               Up to 1                          --               0.75 to 2.5            Available
Fixed Rate                 2                            --                      ---                Available[/tt]
Doesn't make a lot of sense does it, firstly because "Up to 1" is clearly contradicted by " 0.75 to 2.5".  Secondly it says fixed 2meg is available, even though our line is out of spec for that product.  However it seems to knock on the head my idea that 1meg might have been suggested as a fixed rate product.
Anotherone
Champion

What the Downstream Range means is that there are others on similar connections (which should be weighted by neighbours on your DP) getting those range of speeds.
The "Upto 1Mbps" should be the typical figure for your line usually based on historical performance of lines of that attenuation.
However both lots of figures are rubbish compared to what a decent copper line of 55dB attenuation should do! There must be more crap lines about than one tends to think Shocked
aesmith
Pro

That linked thread from JohnJ is interesting, especially where he says "By 17/10/12, and only because I requested it, the MSR was recalculated as 2272 and the related FTR was stated as 1817 kbps."    Clearly those two figures bore no relation to anything that should have been measured on his line, but their also exactly the same as the figures they have for us.    The Plusnet faults guy told me that he sees lot of lines with FTR of 1817, and thinks it's some sort of default.
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry, mis-interpretation. When you are on a ADSL(1) 20CN connection, line profiles are in bands. 2272kbps is the lowest sync speed of the 2Mbps IP profile band and will give an FTR of 1817kbps, so for those on longer 20CN lines that just get a 2Mbps profile, of course the FTR of 1817kbps will crop up quite a bit. You really need to take some of the remarks made by first line support with a pinch of salt.
In relation to JohnJ's line
Quote from: aesmith
Clearly those two figures bore no relation to anything that should have been measured on his line.........

Oh yes they did. If you read the whole thread you'll see that his line initially had a very high MSR which one agent dismissed as impossible. Remember that at the time (reason for the long thread) the line had deteriorated. If a line is restarted under fault conditions when it is achieving low speeds then it will end up with a low MSR. This is what happened at one point in John's case. I have seen this tactic used by BTw when remote line tests aren't showing any obvious faults yet BB performance is below par but nevertheless meeting the minimum guaranteed speed by BTw. By having a low FTR, the line then is performing above the threshold so BTw won't investigate a fault!  At the time it was only as a result of the persistence of John and my prodding, and a decent faults team agent that the situation was changed because the figures were then obviously lower than they should have been. The resultant MSR for his line still never got to the original figures which I have no doubt were readily achieved in the early days of his connection and ADSL with considerably less cross-talk etc.
In relation to your line, your sync speed must have dropped to 2272 at some point during the 10 day training period. Hence your FTR.
aesmith
Pro

You could be right re JonhJ, although if he did have a synch speed as low as that then I didn't see it mentioned.
On our line our first sync speed was only 1700 until I got rid of some troublesome internal wiring.  Also, I note  Plusnet quote a timestamp for the MSR and FTR, dating them around a week before our original (Demon) service went live in Jan 2012.  I don't know if it's still the case, but Max used to be given an initial 2.0meg profile when first going live, adjusted up or down during the 10 days.  So in this case it looks like those figures could well have been "placeholder" or default figures as they don't correspond to real speeds either during the training period or at any time of normal operation, and are dated prior to either.
Question - is MSR set in bands corresponding to the profile thresholds?  For example if during the 10 days the lowest synch speed was 3600, would MSR be recorded as 3600, or as 3424?