cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I go from here?

exporters
Grafter

Re: Where do I go from here?

Sorry to bother with previous mail, ll shot to bits and back to recent usual abysmal performance.
IP profile back to miserly 500 Kbps and resulting knock on of this.
Roll on Monday visit of BTW engineer .
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Here's hoping the engineer can fix it for you - please let us know how it goes. The engineer appointment is definitely still on for this afternoon.
exporters
Grafter

Matt, BT engineer called 4.15pm.  Summary from me - on his equipment, d'loading @ 4.47M & up @ 0.480;  Both of us agreed - a mystery! 
We then changed direct lead from BT Master to router, still showed no speed change via 'Think B'band' i.e. 300 kbps down/400kbps up.  Did not swap routers again since have been swapped before [Belkin with Thomson & vice versa].  BT engineer leaves & as going out says to my Q, that he cannot change exchange port as previous engineer did 3 wks ago when speeds suddenly shot up for 6 days.
BT engineer returns within 5 mins.  Had spoken to his supervisor about the 'mystery'. Advice, "tell customer to get back to his ISP, line must be capped'.  Does this make any sense Matt?
So, where do I go from here, please? 
exporters
Grafter

Matt,
BT speedtester shows @ 5.10pm:-

Download speed achieved  was - 191 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range  is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4832 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The big question is if you leave the connection alone will it stay up so that sync speed is maintained? If it does your IP Profile should increase from the 350kbps shown by the BT speedtester to 4000kbps - giving you your speed back. For such a large increase the change should occur within 2 days.
I suspect the test run by the BT engineer might not be subject to BT's IP Profile restriction, so that showed the true potential of the line.
David
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
We cannot exert any influence over your IP profile, so the engineer is wrong when he says we're 'capping' the line. Your slow speeds are dictated by the IP profile, if we can get this up near your sync speed that'll sort it.
Is that sync speed continuous? Or does it fluctuate?
exporters
Grafter

The morning after the BT engineer.
Router stats as below.
BTspeedtester Download 292 Kbps; connections 50-500 Kbps; .672 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile  350 Kbps.
I've now had two engineers, one stating 'home system OK, 'reset port' & my speeds shot up to + 4Mbps; second blames ISP & says maybe a £5 B'band accelerator behind master socket might help a little. He had no history/service notes of the fault & just confirms that his l'top into my MS shows 4.7M/0.48M.
I really am on the verge of giving up. All I want is to connect up as I used with 3/4 Mbps and live a life.

exporters
Grafter

Spraxyt, thank you for comment - I'll just wait and see what PN suggests once they get the BT report.
Btw, what is 'BT's profile restriction' and unless one is in the 'know', they can claim anything and shrug their shoulders 'ain't my prob guv' - your speeds ar OK @ the Msocket'.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I was referring to BT's IP Profile as the 'restriction'. Kitz's IP Profile page describes what that is. What I don't know is whether the tests that BT staff do bypass that IP Profile restriction.
The reason your IP Profile remains at 350kbps (which restricts throughput) is because BT Wholesale have set it to that value based on your sync speed. Plusnet have no control whatsoever over it. And the reason it remains so low is because there must be an intermittent fault on your line which causes low sync speeds. I doubt very much that fitting an 'Accelerator' would change this situation at all.
I suspect there could be yet another visit from a BT technician when Plusnet reject the No Fault Found report that will almost certainly follow the last visit.
David
exporters
Grafter

Great Spraxyt, that is an intuitive and encouraging comment.  I am sure that one of the PN folks will pick it up in the next 24 hrs and react. 
My comments on the BT engineer were not a criticism of PN but what the guy had been told by his supervisor - more or less, pass it back to the ISP our line is performing!! The system that sent out an Openreach 'engineer', with no brief or notes of the previous engineer's call [he told me this in answer to my initial Q] and who I suspect knew little about b'band [nice chap mind you] is not a great deal of help to customer/PN orBT.
So, as I said, await & see and thank you for chipping in.  Ian
exporters
Grafter

Have I now hit rock bottom speeds?  [see attached].
If PN pick this up, please would they refer also to Spraxyt #38 comment. Is BT the culprit in this abysmal b'band service? 
exporters
Grafter

Would seem 'rock bottom' speed was not reached yesterday - below are 24 hrs on, earlier today.
Just a thought, with two BT engineer visits; the first 'reset port @ xchange' & speed shot up dramatically for 6 days & then reverted to 500kbps - the second did nothing and speed has dropped even further.  What did a 'reset' do and why  are BT unable to identify line condition with it connected to one's ISP?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I suggest forgetting about speeds for the moment. The speed your are seeing is consistent with an IP Profile of 135kbps, so in that sense the value is "correct". Posting your router stats - sync speeds, attenuations and noise margins would be more useful information.
The problem/issue is to establish why your IP Profile remains at its lowly value; to get this value your router must have synced with the exchange at a line rate between 160 and 256kbps. Such low sync speeds are caused by high levels of noise on the line (between the DSLAM at the exchange and your router), a router fault, or line/exchange equipment fault. The diagnostic work carried out has determined the problem is (most likely) external to your premises, but unfortunately the problem is intermittent and obviously not fixed (permanently at least) by either of the two BT service visits.
Due to the intermittent nature of the fault it is difficult to determine when the problem occurs (probably in the small hours). Plusnet's records should have this but gathering your own information would be useful. I don't think Routerstats works with your Belkin router, but it does with the Thomson. I suggest connecting the Thomson and recording (plots) of downstream sync speed and noise margin continuously to give you the 24-hour history of these values.
Your sync speed at the moment is 2240kbps which would give an IP Profile of 1750kbps if sustained. Poor for your attenuation but that is probably because the fault has caused your target noise margin to increase to 15dB (its maximum value on ADSL). The problem is that will not be sustained because of the intermittent fault. It isn't essential but having the connection history to hand would provide useful background information for service visits.
The 'connection' under consideration here is between you and the exchange, and your router will still show the connection stats whether you are connected through to Plusnet or not. The Thomson router allows you to 'disconnect' from Plusnet, though I don't know whether the Belkin has that option. For fault investigation Plusnet need you connected to them because they are testing from their end, but the BT tests done from your premises only go as far as the exchange, then into the BT systems. The 'port reset' probably was like a router restart, reloaded its firmware and probably dropped your target noise margin back to 6dB but did nothing to fix the fault if it wasn't that.
My opinion for what its worth.
David
exporters
Grafter

Spraxyt, thank you & how encouraging in the present circumstances to get 'my opinion for what it's worth'.  Hopefully gold eventually.
I did swop over from Belkin to Thomson routers last night & left l'top connected all thru' night.  Also moved back to 'RouterStats Lite @ 10.30am today.  Have lost last nights plots but recall them showing extreme SNR activity for a period of 20 mins about 3.00am.
Below some visual data snaps which I hop will assist.  Seemed to hold steady for about 2 hrs and bombed out - just let me know please what else & will try from partial understanding, to get info.
stallan
Grafter

Silly question, but if the laptop is connected to the router wirelessly, then perhaps it might be better to connect via a cable. At least that way you know those 'drops' are wireless drops  Wink