Where did that lot come from

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Where did that lot come from

9 REPLIES 9
jwing
Grafter

Re: Where did that lot come from

Yeah, apologies for the lack of notice on this one, we were going to postpone the roll-out until next week, but then made the decision to roll it this week!.
Its basically something that we have wanted to do for a while now to improve the "real estate" around the footer as we have never really used it very well before.
The benefit are both for the user as it allows us to add more links to the page and for SEO (Search Engine Optimisation)
Again, apologies for not announcing this prior to launch Cheesy
Thanks
Jonny
Be3G
Grafter

I like the look of the footer, and I appreciate the touch of the opening-in-new-window indicator - I wish more sites would do that. However, the links seem to me to be a bit jumbled up, and, unfortunately, a bit too SEO-ish (you'll already know my thoughts about PlusNet's SEO Jonny Wink ). What I mean is, for example, under 'related sites' there are a load of links to the PlusNet website, followed by a few external links. So really, it's not 'related sites' at all - it's more 'let's squeeze in as many links to pages selling broadband as possible to improve our search engine ranking'. Sorry, I just don't buy that.
(And yes, I know I'm being rather critical about what amounts to just a few links - but it's my honest opinion so I see no harm in sharing it.)
jwing
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
(And yes, I know I'm being rather critical about what amounts to just a few links - but it's my honest opinion so I see no harm in sharing it.)

Thanks for the feeedback, will pass on to the relevant people and departments, being honest yes some of the links are very much SEO targeted.
BTW: have you guys seen the Birthday community logo you might need to refresh (ctrl+F5 or ctrl+R on IE) Wink
Also the birday post: http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/04/04/the-community-site-is-1/#respond
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: jwing
BTW: have you guys seen the Birthday community logo you might need to refresh

Indeed I have and very nice it is too. Only problem is, I've now got a song from Lion King 2 called 'We Are One' stuck in my head...
gofaster
Rising Star

Here at PlusNet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

And sometimes we just post teasing links...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

One problem I now have, I dont know what is the quickest was to find the end of the unread list, I used to use the end button, now I get just a screen of the links and then have to go up the page
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

End, then page-up?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: pierre_pierre
One problem I now have, I dont know what is the quickest was to find the end of the unread list, I used to use the end button, now I get just a screen of the links and then have to go up the page

I presume you want this because you want to start from the oldest unread post.
The answer is simple: Click the Last Post column heading at the top of the page. This will reverse the order of the list to bring the oldest to the top. It also has the big advantage that if there is more than one page of unread posts you don't have to go to the last page before going to the end.
You may have done as I have done and bookmarked Unread Posts as your bookmark for these forums. In which case I suggest you bookmark this link: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=unread;start=0;sort=last_post
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Well you always learn summfing  Roll_eyes