cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I buy this cable?

reece251
Grafter

Where can I buy this cable?

I'm going to need the cable that runs from the filter in the master socket to the router. I believe iit's an rj11 cable although I'm not to sure can someone link me to where I can buy this. Thank you. I have 2 devices that are about 10 metres away from my master socket and instead of buying longer ethernet cables I've opted to look for this cable I described earlier to bring the router closer to them then link them up with ethernet cables
32 REPLIES 32
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Where can I buy this cable?

Something like this ?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/broadband-adsl-modem-cable-36282
Personally I'd be looking at a slightly better quality twisted pair version though.
picbits
Rising Star

reece251
Grafter

picbits
Rising Star

Yup - an RJ11 to RJ11 cable.
Pretty standard stuff and I'd give the Amazon link I posted above a go for the sake of a couple of quid.
reece251
Grafter

So will the cable you linked me to t just plug into the grey modem section on my netgear shown in the 2nd picture
picbits
Rising Star

It should do - it will fit 95% of the ADSL routers and filters.
reece251
Grafter

Fair enough should I buy a longer rj11 to rj11 cable to bring the modem closer to the devices then link them up with ethernet cables or should I just buy long cat5e cables and keep the modem cable short
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Unless your Ethernet cables are over 100 meters long there is absolutely no risk in you experiencing a drop in performance with longer Ethernet cables.
Any Increase in the length of the RJ11 cable to the router could affect performance, you'd only find out by trying it. Good quality twisted pair shielded would minimise the risk.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
BigTabs
Grafter

I would always suggest getting the Shorter cable possible
shorter is the best
longer is worst
Thats my option if you use ebay there is a belkin adsl cable which i own and would be perfect and its cheap i will find the link for you
BigTabs
Grafter

eBay
Price:£2.25 Belkin High Speed Internet ADSL/Modem Cable RJ11 to RJ11 2.1m Internet Lead New
Description
Network Cable Type - Modem cable
Technology - Double shielded
Shielding Material - Foil with copper braid
Features - Moulded snagless gold-plated connectors
Length - 2.1 m
Colour - Ice
Connector(s) - 1 x RJ-11 - male Connector(s)
Connect your modem to your telephone wall jack
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-High-Speed-Internet-ADSL-Modem-Cable-RJ11-to-RJ11-2-1m-Internet-Lea...
mooblie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: jelv
......RJ11 cable.........Good quality twisted pair shielded would minimise the risk.

"Good quality" yes, but "shielded" - NO!
That will increase the line capacitance, and hence change the line impedance discontinuously at the master socket, and hence may cause signals reflections, attenuations, etc,. etc., etc.
Shielded cable is NOT in the spec (or advised) for twisted pair.  Similarly with Ethernet cable: it should be unshielded twisted pair (that's what "UTP" means).
I would get something like this:
http://www.kenable.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=+ADSL+2%2B+High
NB: despite the bo**ox in the description about "up to 10 times faster", "Ethernet" and  "Category 5" nonsense (it's nothing to do with Ethernet or Category 5), it DOES have strain relief, and it's NOT screened!
reece251
Grafter

I've decided to stick with the 0.5 metre modem cable but bought longer ethernet cables to run to my devices. I absolutely hate wireless so every device has to be wired
Finguz
Grafter

Quote from: mooblie

"Good quality" yes, but "shielded" - NO!
That will increase the line capacitance, and hence change the line impedance discontinuously at the master socket, and hence may cause signals reflections, attenuations, etc,. etc., etc.
Shielded cable is NOT in the spec (or advised) for twisted pair.  Similarly with Ethernet cable: it should be unshielded twisted pair (that's what "UTP" means).

You've not heard of CAT 5 STP then? There's FTP too.
Have a read  Wink
mooblie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Finguz
You've not heard of CAT 5 STP then? There's FTP too.

Yes. (Thank you.) But shielding is not recommended for vanilla Ethernet or ADSL line use.  What's your point?