cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Plusnet launch a new router and a self install FTTC option?

OnFire
Grafter

Is there any update on this?
Thanks for any help.
33 REPLIES 33
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: When will Plusnet launch a new router and a self install FTTC option?

When "their supplier" makes this option available?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

BT are going to trial soon as rumored.  But rumors are rumors
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
AndyH
Grafter

Already been trialled.
BT software upgrade starts Feb 2014 and should take 8 weeks. Should see FTTC self-installs from anytime thereafter.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

From April:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/04/bt-reveals-uk-fttc-broadband-isp-self-installation-and-...
Regarding the router, one gets the impression that Plusnet have a lot of TG582n to shift  Lips_are_sealed (or an ongoing commitment to Technicolor)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

(or an ongoing commitment to Technicolor)

You omitted the word "cheap" between "ongoing" & "commitment".  Roll_eyes
OnFire
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. Guess I am going to be waiting until at least April for FTTC then, as I don't want a separate modem, and I would like a better router - with improved WiFi performance.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

A lot of people replace the BT modem and ISP supplied router with one of their choice, just keeping the supplied ones for diagnostic purposes if these is a fault.
tijara33
Pro

A lot of people replace the BT modem

As a matter of interest, is it considered to be worthwhile replacing the Openreach modem? I have already replaced the PN router to improve the wireless performance. Is it simply a case of unplugging the OR modem & plugging in & switching on the replacement?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'd have thought the main reason for replacing the modem would be if you were going to use a combined modem/router. The only other reason would be to get at the modem stats which are locked on the BT modems.
x47c
Grafter

There are some anedotal evidence on other forums that 3rd party manufacture's combined VDSL modem/routers do not perform as well as the standalone BT modem.
People seem to be reporting reduced sync and other nasties such as interleaving which goes away when the BT unit (locked or unlocked) is replaced.
There are not that many VDSLmodem/routers yet available - which rather gives the lie to the much claimed "fact" that the UK is way behind the rest of the world on SFBB.
If we the UK was way behind - then this sort of stuff would be on the shelf from the likes of Netgear, Dlink etc.
It ain't:
There is also some suggestion that IF you are close to the cabinet so can get the full 80/20Mbps a combined VDSL modem/router unit based on the power of the current series of chipsets is starting to run out of computing power to handle everything itself at full speed.
I've tended to think that the next stage will be a full scale "home gateway" unit almost a mini-computer with cooling fans etc which handles everything coming down the phone line.
AndyH
Grafter

Aren't there very few options for a combined VDSL modem/router?
tijara33
Pro

Thanks for the update info. The OR modem seems to do its job OK. Even after a recent power outage it sorted itself out within a couple of minutes once the power was restored.
AndyH
Grafter

It seems I was wrong about the timing of the introduction of a wires only/self install FTTC connection.
Openreach's pricing still shows only engineer installations, but there is a note at the bottom:
Unless otherwise specified, the connection charge specified relates to Engineer Installation including Openreach modem.  For more information about other installation variants, refer to the Trial Indicative Price List for the GEA-FTTC PCP Only Pilot.

I believe there were 3 participants in Openreach's pilot scheme - BT Retail, Sky and EE.
EE are now offering "Fibre broadband so clever it doesn't need an engineer" - http://explore.ee.co.uk/home-broadband
So, it would look like we are close to seeing the launch of a wires only FTTC from Openreach. The update next year is probably more related to control ISPs will have over FTTC lines.
shalom2010
Grafter

Interesting article : I wonder if we can get a combined router/modem in the future?
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/11/bt-openreach-set-uk-launch-date-self-install-fttc-super...