Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When the upgrade?

fxbronte
Grafter

When the upgrade?

Sometime in October I got a mail from PN stating:
“We have good news for you. The exchange equipment we use to provide your service has now been upgraded, and we can offer you a faster 'upto 20Mb' service.
You don't need to do anything, and we'll switch you over automatically, for free.
We expect this to happen within the next 5 weeks.”
Since then I have not heard anything nor has anything happened to my connection.
Do I Have to ask to be upgraded?  Sad
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: When the upgrade?

Hi there,
The upgrade has already gone through, looks like the order completed on the 29th October. I can see you're currently on a 6000 profile on both our side and BTs which seems to be about what you were getting before.
Is the router in the master socket and are all used sockets filtered? ADSL2 uses higher frequencies which are more susceptible to noise and interference which will most likely be why there's not been so much of an increase.
fxbronte
Grafter

Thanks Matt,
It is not in the master socket but the socket used for the phone is filtered. Do I have to do something to the modem? I have a Belkin ADSL2+ Modem with Wireless G Pluss MIMO router
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Take a note of all the router stats (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin) then plug in to the test socket inside the master socket and look at all the stats again. That will tell you if there is any potential for improving things if you change your setup.
Have you got anything (telephone, fax, sky box etc) plugged in to the master and if so is it also filtered?
Edit: If your profile was 6000 on ADSL1 I'd have expected to see some improvement going to ADSL2+
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
If you can, you'll probably find the speed is increased if you move it to the master socket and connect it there (but don't use any extension cables or anything). You don't lose speed over the ethernet cables between router and PCs so they can be as long as you need (up to about 100m I believe before there's any signal degredation). That's not the case with phone line extensions, hence the recommendation to connect the router to the master socket.
fxbronte
Grafter

I have now done a BT test :
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7680 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1031 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6775 Kbps
but my PN profile says 6Mbs. sShould it not be at least 6.5Mbs?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yes but quite what is happening at present given that the system is due to change on Monday is anybody's guess
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi fxbronte,
I've changed your profile on our side to 6700 which should improve things for you, hopefully that won't be changed in the near future (unless it's for the better).
waltdav
Grafter

Quote from: Matt

I've changed your profile on our side to 6700 which should improve things for you, hopefully that won't be changed in the near future (unless it's for the better).

I have a similar problem here (PN Profile stuck at a lower level than BT profile), but rather than tail-end someone else's thread I'll start a new one of my own.
🙂
Walt
fxbronte
Grafter

Thanks Matt  Smiley