cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is Fibre coming to my street ?

waynem
Grafter

When is Fibre coming to my street ?

simples , as it says above  .. i wonder if anyone at PN can shed some light on this ... my exchange is fibre enabled  and theres fibre to main road at the entrance to our estate ... if i put my details in TalkTalk website , they say october ... but if i use BT,s  it says it doesnt know ?  anyone Huh
16 REPLIES 16
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: When is Fibre coming to my street ?

Hi there,
This depends on when the cabinet your line is connected to is upgraded, that information isn't openly published I'm afraid. My advice would be to keep checking here: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
waynem
Grafter

Cheers adam  ..the link just gives me whats available at the minute  .. is there no way of finding out ?
JamesM
Grafter

Wayne,
You will have more chance of finding out when the second coming will happen  Cheesy
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well that checker says for me
"Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th September 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 62.2Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps."
Which is A LOT more than the rest were doing, the other checkers just say I can get adsl only.
The rollout checker http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ has been saying 30/9 if I look in the rollout plan but not on screen. (Or rather if I click the CS icon it says 30/9)
tick tick tick
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Unfortunately you cannot rely on BT outofreach to keep to any dates  Sad they are well known to change these at will  Sad
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Y2J
Grafter

My exchange has been fibre enabled for over a year now and my green cabinet still hasn't been activated.
Do they want to make money or what?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Given the fact that they have been digging up round the 2 new fiber cabinets I see daily, installing power etc I would say they are on track for me. Samknows originally said June but that was changed to Sept a while ago.
Y2J
Grafter

Lucky you, im going to spray paint it luminous yellow just in case they forget the usless Effers!
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I think that the fact the Local Gov if dropping money their way is helping in my case  Crazy
JamesM
Grafter

No current plans for my exchange, yet the BT engineer who came to my house last october said it would be upgraded last December.  The engineer who was fiddling about at one of the cabinets a couple of months back told me there are no plans for my area. It looks like Digital Region will be the only way I can get super fast 70 Mbit connection.
Teds31
Grafter

This is what the BT site says for my test, I am on PN Value ,and get about 5.5 mbps down and 360kbps up can I improve that and stay with Value at the same cost ,so far I'm pleased with my speed as its quite a bit higher than it used to be ,but I wouldn't say no to more. Ted

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 14.1Mbps and upstream line speed of 1.7Mbps
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, our exchange was enabled in March 2011 as part of phase 5a.
Our cabinet was announced in December 2011 to be upgraded as part of phase 9a.  It is the only new cabinet to be installed under this phase in the entire town.
(23 Aug 12)  Work started to install new NGA cabinet and 5m of ducting to existing PCP.
BT wholesale checker indicates WBC FTTC will be enabled by 30 September when I enter my postcode.  Nowt for my phone number.
The TalkTalk website indicates I might be able to order fibre in October 2012 when I enter my postcode.  

Update (20 Sep 12): roadworks.org shows power company scheduled for end of October to dig a trench to hook up power to the BT cabinet.
Update (1 Oct 12): BT wholesale checker has stopped providing any WBC FTTC info for my postcode.  TalkTalk's checker now quotes availability from January 2013.
Update (20 Oct 12):  BT wholesale checker now shows FTTC wil be enabled by 31 December when I enter my postcode.  OpenReach also inform me they hope the new cabinet to be enabled by mid December 2012.
Update (1 Nov 12):  Power company completed work to install electrical power to the new cabinet.
Update (14 Nov 12):  An OpenReach van towing a trailer with a large reel parked at the entrance to the estate, was preparing to install new tubing from existing underground chamber where fibre service already exists outside the estate, to the new cabinet. Less than 500m of new tubing through existing BT ducts.  
The crew said once once all the tubing is installed,  another crew will come at a later date to blow the fibre through the new tubing.  A joiner will finish off the work by connecting up the ends of the fibre cables.
(Update 21 Nov 12):  Roadworks.org shows BT are to locate and unblock a cable duct at the end of the month.  The Openreach website also shows a yellow marker pin with comments that there is a delay in getting this cabinet operational.
(Update 28 Nov 12):  BT availability checker now quotes delivery of FTTC by 30 June 2013 for my postcode 😞  
(Update 13 Dec 12):  Drove past 3 OpenReach vans parked not far from the supposedly repaired cable duct.  One van was towing a trailer with a large reel.  
(Update 20 Dec 12):  Roadworks.org shows BT are to locate and unblock a cable duct in early January.  Same location as recorded on 21 Nov 12.    BT availability checker now quotes delivery of FTTC by 30 June 2013 for my telephone number for first time.
(Update 13 Feb 13):   BT availability checker now quotes delivery of FTTC by 30 September 2013.  Yellow marker pin removed from OpenReach website for the street cab servicing my post code.  Roadworks.org shows BT planning to install over 150m of new cable ducts at the end of the month.
(Update 18 Apr 13):  BT availability checker reports today fibre is available for my phone number, but not my postcode.  BT.com and Plusnet checkers both report I can order fibre.
(Update 25 Apr 13):  Openreach engineer phoned to advise he was cutting off phone for 10 minutes.  Arrived in an unmarked white van 15 minutes later to install new VDSL face plate and ECI modem (I believe the green cabinet is Huawei). IP profile 77.44/20.0 on fast path (interleaving off) with 11ms pings.  73/15mb down/up speed test compared to 49/11mb BT estimate.  Engineer left 15 minutes later.
(Update 1 May 13):  IP profile dropped a bit today, possibly due to repetitive modem swapping yesterday. Interleaving turn on.  I had acquired a Huawei HG612 '3B' modem, this achieves IP profile slightly better than the ECI modem.  Current link rate 69mbps with HG612 following resync caused by DLM at 5am.   Previously,  HG612 gives 71-74 vs ECI 67-69 mbps during tswapping of modems.
(Update 26 May 13):  Modem undisturbed since end of April.  Less than 5,000 CRC errors accumulated in a month.  Noticed reduced ping times today.  DLM caused a resync at 3.30am.  Interleaving turned off.  Current link rate 72mbps with HG612.  Ping times reduced.
(Update 4 Jul 13):  Modem undisturbed since previous entry. No change or loss of sync.  Averaged 11.5k CRC errors per day.
(Update 14 Jul 13): Modem undisturbed for 49 days.  CRC errors risen lately coinciding with increasingly hotter weather.  Averaging 50k errors per day in the past week.  (Note: There is a known bug in how HG612 reports its Statistics)  I've also observed the maximum attainable rate has also dropped from a peak of 83,000 kbps in April to 71,000 kbps presently, which I believe may be due to more users being added to the fibre cabinet.  BT checker remains unchanged at 49/11mb estimate.
(Update 22 Jul 13):  Modem must have resynced over night, as the line speed dropped to 60,000 kbps with 8dB noise margin.  There may have been a constant burst of errors.  Power cycled the modem twice, and the line speed returned the same figure around 68,700 kbps with 6.4dB noise margin (attainable speed 70,000 kbps).  It seems like 6.4dB is the default when compared to snapshot taken in May.   Another observation is when the telephone is in use, the noise margin drops 2dB on the downstream.
(Update 29 Jul 13):  Modem resynced last night.  Link rate dropped to 60mbps with 8.3dB noise margin.  It occurred 10 minutes into a telephone call.  Router log did not report any drop in PPP session.  I happened to be online at the time and did notice the web browser was taking longer than normal to refresh a web page.  I will leave modem at this link rate/noise margin.
(Update 20 Sep 13):  Modem has not lost sync to exchange since 29 Jul 13.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
CX
Grafter

My exchange has an RFS date of 30/09/2012 and the "Superfast Broadband Map" indicates that it is "Accepting Orders".
My PCP cabinet had a FTTC cabinet installed alongside at the beginning of July, along with the electrical works (all done in a week). There don't appear to have been any trenches between the FTTC and PCP cabinets, and the PCP still has the old-style shell (unsure whether they all get replaced with sheet metal style ones?). Many of the other cabinets nearby don't have a FTTC cabinet yet (even for phone numbers indicated on the BT Wholesale page as being available 30/09/2012) although there are others around the town.
I've seen Openreach vans parked up on the main route from the exchange with rolls of cable on the back, but they're a long way away from my cabinet still.
So still waiting to see if they can pull it off for the end of September.
CX
Grafter

Quote from: CX
So still waiting to see if they can pull it off for the end of September.

Nope.  Wink
To be fair to Openreach, they do appear to be enabling them methodically, starting at the exchange and working outwards, and our cabinet is the furthest away in terms of line length (there are a couple more even further away but they're not in the current rollout plans). Looking at Roadworks.org over the past month, they have been hitting a blockage in the duct every 200m or so, and then it's about 2 weeks before they can get contractors in to clear it. Once they've reached the cabinet, the patching work is getting done fairly swiftly. They're scheduled to clear a blockage in 2 weeks time, but there's another 500m or so before they reach the cabinet. All this time, the FTTC cabinet is sat there, with the power works already done. The PCP still has a GPO cast-iron shell (shame that these get replaced, they look like they'd last another 50 years at least).
Whatever the delay, I'm just glad we don't have anti-cabinet NIMBYs, and a council that has been pushing for fibre.