cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When internal phone sockets wired up to BT box DSL on router does not work

jondurs

When internal phone sockets wired up to BT box DSL on router does not work

Hello, perhaps someone could offer me some advice. I have a BT line coming into the house (like most people) and previously I had a white BT ADSL MF50 box connected to the BT openreach box with my router and phone line plugged into the BT ADSL MF50 box. Sometimes I would go to use the internet and would be unable to connect so would switch of the router and switch it back on agian and it would then work.
2 weeks ago I got an electrician to fit a socket next to the BT line for the router to plug into and then connect four wires (blue, orange, blue & white, orange & white) to the BT openreach box. Now when I plugged the phone into the internal sockets it worked (with interference) although this was cured by plugging it into a white BT ADSL MF50 box. Unfortunately now my router does not connect to internet or DSL (only the wireless and power lights come on). The only way to fix this is to take the 4 wires out of the BT openreach box.
Does anyone know how this can be solved? Is it a BT problem? Is it an internal wiring problem? All the phone sockets work, the internet works but not together!
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: When internal phone sockets wired up to BT box DSL on router does not work

you only want the two wires to terminal 2 and 5 connected for starters ditch the other two at both ends, the actual DSL wire is not filtered but all telephone should be
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: When internal phone sockets wired up to BT box DSL on router does not work

In other words you must plug any phone, sky box, fax machine etc in only via a filter eg, like the BT MF50 rat tail.