Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats larks,eh?

Kittyfrisk
Grafter

Re: Whats larks,eh?

Hi spoon whittler & ejs
I was just bearing in mind Anotherone's comments regarding settings, in Reply #97.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ah, but I'd also mentioned in reply #'95 that your connection would have to be set on ADSL2+ by Plusnet and Chris Parr has picked up on that, so with that in mind, what spoon whittler and ejs have said covers it. The only other thing to mention is try and avoid resyncing (or changing mode) later than an hour before sunset or earlier than an hour before after sunrise. Noise levels will already be increasing during those times so you'll generally get slower sync speeds. Remember to do it gracefully of course - ie pull the power plug after preferably logging off a PPP session, and stay off for 10 minutes. (Change the mode off-line if you are doing that).
The order change to ADSL2+ is being automatically implemented in the early hours which means you may not get the best sync speed as noise levels will be varying quite a lot. You may be lucky, but see what the SNRM is in daylight hours. If it is higher than about 6.4 it'll probably be worth a resync and maybe a mode change depending on what it's doing. If it's lower, especially just below 6, leave it alone and see how it goes.
Edit: woops, meant an hour after sunrise!
Kittyfrisk
Grafter

Hi Anotherone,
Thanks for the explanation.
I'll not be able to try a resync under those conditions until the weekend, as weekdays I'm out of the house by 6.30am and not home until 5.30pm, so pretty much almost dawn until sunset.
The strange thing with resyncing according to the rules, is that in the past I have always managed a better speed by rebooting (properly as you outline) early in the morning and risking broadband propagation, than at the weekend.
In my blissfully ignorant state, I always 'rationalised' that the relative quiet and low volume of traffic in the early morning was a better bet than a busy weekend with all the kids, gamers etc. being online and congesting the bandwidth.
Still, I guess dumb luck is also a major factor  Embarrassed
To borrow from your tagline...
"It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem"
Thanks  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

I've just corrected a typo in my previous post Embarrassed   you should wait until at least an hour after sunrise Smiley
Mid morning ish is usually pretty good, but sometimes MW/AM propagation can also affect daytime, especially in the Winter. You might get lucky with the ADSL2+ order kicking in in the early hours if the SNRM isn't on a low point at the moment sync is negotiated. Post some stats when convenient after it's happened.
Kittyfrisk
Grafter

OK, understood.
I'll try to do a resync at an optimal time and will keep people in the loop with stats etc. as things develop.
Thanks for the ongoing help to yourself and all the Plusnet staff and forum members, hopefully it will be of benefit to others as well as myself.
Kittyfrisk
Grafter

Hi all,
As mentioned, latest stats & Broadband Quality Monitor graph (from yesterday pm).
I have never seen the SNR so low, so there is real progress here.
Anotherone
Champion

That actually looks quite good at present, but a live BQM might be interesting. The connection (or modem/router) appears to have selected ADSL1 automatically (no surprise) I'd leave things as they are for the moment BUT, the only thing is the Upstream appears as though it might still be capped.
Hopefully Chris Parr will be along later and check that
Kittyfrisk
Grafter

Morning,
Why oh why did I choose to be optimistic so soon?
Please find attached a shot of the BQM as of now...
Seems as if I fell off the end of the connection at some point in the very early hours  Sad
I can't check the new IP that I will have been assigned until I get home this evening, so we'll see what the situation is then.
Anotherone
Champion

No, it's no disaster, when you connection was dropped with the change order, your IP address will have changed on reconnection (as you realise) Wink
Kittyfrisk
Grafter

Phew!
Forgot about that being scheduled for the early hours as Chris had said.
Must learn to think more and react less hastily...  Lips_are_sealed
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The upstream isn't capped, it wasn't previously either as it was synced at 480 (not 448).
Currently your line is synced at:
2382 down
584 up
SNR margin 5.8db
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for checking Chris. Well that sync speed will give a 2.1Mbps profile.
Quote from: Chris
The upstream isn't capped, it wasn't previously either as it was synced at 480 (not 448).

That'll teach me to get my 4s & 8s mixed up at that time of the morning Embarrassed  Thanks again.
Kittyfrisk
Grafter

Hello people, I'm reporting back.
I can't attach anything as my upload folder is apparently full. Anyone help with this (I have tried to keep all files small...).
Also the website is saying that I have uploaded this message to it, but it isn't showing, so I'll apologise for any duplicate postings...grrrr!
Since the resync the stats have changed with the interleaving, SNR etc all having come right down, but no noticeable improvement has been seen in the speeds.
Also I have lost connection twice since the resync  Sad 
Anyone care to hazard an opinion as to where I can go next?
Cheers.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: Kittyfrisk
Hello people, I'm reporting back.
I can't attach anything as my upload folder is apparently full. Anyone help with this (I have tried to keep all files small...).
Also the website is saying that I have uploaded this message to it, but it isn't showing, so I'll apologise for any duplicate postings...grrrr!

That's all to do with the Forum software (or the servers it's on doing something). I've just been moaning here. It happens from time to time, it's a case of copy your posting just in case it disappears, but open a list of the board on which you are posting in a new tab to check whether it's posted - there can sometimes be what seems like a minute or tow delay before it appears. However your error message is a new one on me Shocked
Quote from: Kittyfrisk
Since the resync the stats have changed with the interleaving, SNR etc all having come right down, but no noticeable improvement has been seen in the speeds.
Also I have lost connection twice since the resync  Sad  
Anyone care to hazard an opinion as to where I can go next?
Cheers.

Can you post the full xDSLstats, and when you say you've lost connection twice do you mean PPP or sync?
Kittyfrisk
Grafter

Hi Anotherone,
Yes I escaped a double posting  Wink
I have noticed on a few occasions that having assembled a response and attached pics, that on hitting "Post" that nothing happens.
Annoying, but not the end of the world.
I'll post my stats as soon as someone at the Plusnet end can clean my upload cache/space allocation, as at present it still insists that its full  Sad