cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whatever happened to ADSL2+?

oliverb
Grafter

Whatever happened to ADSL2+?

I thought the change-over was going to be automatic? Is it "New customers only" only or by request?
Or are only certain account types eligible. Since most of the posts on the subject appear 2 years old I figure they're out of date?
23 REPLIES 23
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Whatever happened to ADSL2+?

I think you have to request plusnet to put you onto ADSL2+ but it will add another 7 working days before it enabled. BT will put you on ADSL on default (up to 8Mbps) and Plusnet doesn't do automatically to put you onto ADSL2+ itself unless you have to request it yourself.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Just to clarify.
When your exchange gets upgraded to 21CN (ADSL1 & ADSL2+) we don't automatically upgrade you, although we are currently migrating our customers onto it bit by bit.If you wish  I can place the order for you today, which should complete in 5-7 working days. It's not just for new customers, but new customers are automatically provisioned onto 21CN if it is available at the exchange. Depending on the loop loss or estimated speed we will decide whether it would go on ADSL1 (up to 8Mbps) or ADSL2+ (up to 20Mbps)
Jojo Smiley
oliverb
Grafter

Well I'm guessing my home connection might benefit, its currently reporting 7.5M and attenuation of 20dB.
Unfortunately work is still stuck with 3.5M and 50dB so I figure it'd probably make things worse?
MeMeMe
Grafter

I put in a request more than 2 months ago, via the web ticket system and have heard nothing about it.
Can you upgrade me?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi oliverb
Is this forum account your home one?
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MeMeMe
I'll take a look into that for you.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MeMeMe,
I've placed an order to upgrade to ADSL2+ this should complete in 5-7 working days.
Jojo Smiley
oliverb
Grafter

Hey thanks that was very efficient.
Regarding the work account (coaxial): Other than moving to a new factory is there anyway to improve on the 52dB? We're on the edge of town, google maps puts us 2.7 miles from the exchange?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi oliverb,
I could give your SNR a reset. However, this isn't that high at the moment, only 10dB. What router do you use? Others have found that routers such as the HH2 work better on longer lines. Try optimising your internal wiring. Make sure you aren't using extensions before your router.
Jojo Smiley
MeMeMe
Grafter

Thank you Jojo!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MeMeMe,
Give me a nudge in the next day or two and I'll make sure the order is progressing ok, bearing in mind something seemed to go amiss last time, it's worth checking.
Jojo Smiley
oliverb
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi oliverb,
I could give your SNR a reset. However, this isn't that high at the moment, only 10dB. What router do you use? Others have found that routers such as the HH2 work better on longer lines. Try optimising your internal wiring. Make sure you aren't using extensions before your router.
Jojo Smiley

Draytek Vigor 2800VG currently, though I also have a couple of old Billions and a MK1 homehub lying around as spares/loaners. Switching is a PITA because there's no quick way to set the DHCP table.
Its probably not SNR, that was reset some time ago after we discovered a PC with a busted mains filter about 2 years back. I say we, but it took BT openreach coming round with a detector to find it, after which I shoved it on our own tester and the noise stood out like a sore thumb.
I've been down the wiring optimisation route, I've fitted a faceplate splitter. It did help, I think that got us from 2.5M to 3.5M.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi oliverb,
Well, if there's anything I can help you with, don't hesitate to give me a nudge.
Jojo Smiley
MeMeMe
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi MeMeMe,
Give me a nudge in the next day or two and I'll make sure the order is progressing ok, bearing in mind something seemed to go amiss last time, it's worth checking.
Jojo Smiley

Hi Jojo, just giving you a nudge to see if the order is progressing.