cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would cause a working DSL connection, but no ppp connection?

gyre
Grafter

What would cause a working DSL connection, but no ppp connection?

For the second time in just over a month I'm stumped.  I have a lovely solid DSL sync.  However, I can't create a ppp connection to the bt test account nor my plusnet account.
When I ask my speedtouch 585v6 to diagnose the problem, it says... hey, you have DSL, but not ATM nor PPP.
My internet light is alternating between red and off as the poor router tries to retry the connection.
I've raised a fault... but I've no idea what causes this.  The last time it happened, it seemed to miraculously correct itself a few hours later.
The last time, I tried with a different router (a speedtouch 510v4) and it had the same problem.  So I don't think it's my router.
I could understand if the underlying DSL connection was flakey... but it's not.  It's rock solid, and has been since I last resynced over a day ago.  Just that, according to the router logs, at 11:30 or so  today, the ppp connection went down and has never come back up again.
Puzzled, and confused....
-- gyre --
3 REPLIES 3
gyre
Grafter

Re: What would cause a working DSL connection, but no ppp connection?

Hasn't come back yet and I'm still stumped.
Maybe BT borked my exchange.
I don't see why I can't even connect to the bt startup account and yet I have a nicely synced dsl connection underneath.
[Edit... ppp came back up soon after I posted this.  Around 12 hours since it vanished.  Not sure why.]
-- gyre --
James
Grafter

Hi Andy,
This may just be one of lifes unexplained mysteries.
I've checked out the emails that we get from BT and there's nothing there relating to your exchange.
gyre
Grafter

Hi Jameseh.
I hate unexplained mysteries.  There has to be an explanation somewhere.  I'm a geek! Smiley Smiley
Still, got to hack my iphone and try out Internet tethering for a while Smiley Smiley
-- gyre --