Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would cause TG582n to to lose WiFi on all devices at the same time

TORPC
Grafter

Re: What would cause TG582n to to lose WiFi on all devices at the same time

What would be the probability that
There could be 2 or more pieces of software that is trying to use UPnP at the same time which in turn causes a conflict with each other
&
The TG582n says no to them and disconnects the connection(s)
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: TORPC
Just had full ethernet dropout on all 3 devices that was connected, WiFi was not affected this time, however the fix was to turn off / on the WiFi button on the TG582n yet again

There are some serious flaws deep within this router,

The root cause(s) has yet to be determined.

I agree with the above. Wireless speeds aside which are a known issue with this router anyway, it SHOULD NOT stop devices from accessing the Internet. From what I have seen the router is blissfully unaware of anything being wrong. I have disabled all power management features via cli, but upnp is still active.
I would like to see some comment from the plusnet team regards this. They have been noticeably silent. I wonder if both mine and TORPCs are from a faulty batch. I am sure this could be determibed from the serial numbers.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: penfold
<snip>
I wonder if both mine and TORPCs are from a faulty batch. I am sure this could be determined from the serial numbers.

I wonder if PlusNet & or Technicolor has recognised any faulty batches in the 1st instance, & would they have a database for the faulty batches (serial numbers) or alternative means of identifying the faulty batches.
& if so
Would they openly admit any faulty batches, since we have seen no evidence from PlusNet to support or to dis-miss our findings to date.
I also wonder what happens to the faulty returns
Are they
1. Sent back for testing
2. Thrown in the bin
3. Sent to recycling plant
4. Thrown in to storage
5. Re-sent out to other customers

Edit:
Would PlusNet truthfully admit the answers to all the above especially questions 2, 4 & 5
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

For the wifi speed issue, two of the returned routers were tested and found to be fine. Eventually the high pitched whine issue was sorted out, although of course Plusnet continued to supply the bad routers anyway until the existing stock was used up since many people won't be able to hear it.
I expect if either of your 582n routers were returned and tested, they wouldn't be in the same environment nor have the same devices connected, and so whatever triggers the problem would not be present, and so the routers would be found to be not faulty.
I would1 investigate this by capturing all the traffic over your wireless network in the hope that you will capture the same something each time the problem occurs, thereby determining what causes the problem. It would be more difficult to capture wired traffic from a device that isn't a computer you could run wireshark (or another packet capture program) on, although I think it's possible to configure the 582n to mirror traffic on one ethernet port to another. Alternatively you could try simply not connecting computers or devices to try and determine if any particular device causes the problem, which I imagine would be somewhat inconvenient. Unfortunately we're currently just stuck with the situation where the 582n doesn't work very well for some people, although it seems to work fine for others, and we never get any closer to finding out why.
1 If I had to like it was my job or something, which it isn't. Otherwise I'd really rather not use a 582n.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

@ejs
Unless they get a significant number of people complaining I suspect nothing will be done about this issue, that currently as far as we are aware is only affecting 2 customers. If more people kicked up a stink then maybe things may change. My billion bipac 7300n has arrived so I will be putting that online, and the tg582n will be relegated to being a backup device. The local community centre however has signed up to plusnet and has a new tg582n, so I will be keeping an eye on it,  as I look after their pcs and network.
TORPC
Grafter

Some interesting threads you linked to ejs
However
Home basement testing is clearly not conclusive
I have not gone through every page as yet however
There is a clear knowledge of issue(s) with the TG582n
& ejs you keep saying
Quote from: ejs
<snip>
Obviously I'd rather not switch on my 582n,
<snip>

Have you ever switched on your TG582n & used it for any reasonable period of time ?Huh
If so
Did it run as smooth as silk ?Huh
Or
Did you have issue(s) ?Huh
@Penfold
Perhaps you could use your TG582n in your community centre for testing outside your immediate environment ?Huh
penfold
Aspiring Pro

@Penfold
Perhaps you could use your TG582n in your community centre for testing outside your immediate environment ?Huh

Well I will see what happens.  They have 9 pcs mix of win 7 and xp. They have never had wireless before, bit I am sure it will get used.
If anyone complains then I will will have some kind of idea of whats going on. The router is on the same firmware as mine
TORPC
Grafter

@Penfold
I Would be interested to see how that works out Wink
penfold
Aspiring Pro

So would I  Crazy Crazy
TORPC
Grafter

For clarification as some of this info has not been mentioned
[code=none file=Routers GUI]
Product Name: TG582n
Serial Number: CPXxXxXxXxX
Software Release: 10.2.2.B
Software Variant: EH
Boot Loader Version: 1.0.5
Product Code: 3701603B
Board Name: DANT-T
[/code]
If any other info required other than listed in this thread please ask
TORPC
Grafter

This thread started on 23/01/2014
in all this time PlusNet have only briefly popped their head in 3 times, in 6 pages, and not offered any proper support other than offering to supply another router which I had initially put on hold even though I asked if it was ok with them to keep hold of the 1st faulty router for testing.
PlusNet never even responded to me asking if it was ok to put it on hold.
Yet still have not sent 1 out either ?Huh
I find that I am starting to loose faith in PlusNet support in certain areas atm
Please PlusNet hurry up & restore my faith in your support

P.S
Is this thread and it's entire content too lengthy & too complex for PlusNet support staff to understand ?Huh
TORPC
Grafter

Have had yet another WiFi & Ethernet outage Sad Sad Sad
Same fix via the onboard WiFi Button
So fed up of the lack of support by PlusNet that I have now just got off the phone & was advised to give _Adam_Walker_  a nudge with a PM & they will give the digital care team a nudge to see what can be done.
Also found out & to bear in mind the 1st 4 numbers of your serial number are the Year / Week the router was made.
Example: using both my TG582n's Ignore the 1st 2 letters CP
1324 = 2013 > June 10, 2013 June 16, 2013
1330 = 2013 > July 22, 2013 July 28, 2013
Note: I started with PlusNet December 2013 therefore either they were on the shelf a long time or they are re-sent out returns
If unsure how to work it out see Week Numbers for 2013
I you also feel the need to give _Adam_Walker_ a PM nudge then it is fine as recommended to inform you all by phone support Wink
PM Sent to _Adam_Walker_ @ Today at 04:00:43
Lets see how long it will take
Please folks do not hold your breaths, just in case it drags out Wink
P.S
I almost forgot to mention that phone support has now viewed this thread Smiley

TORPC
Grafter

I am wondering
How many customers had it put down to line issues, internal wiring etc without proper testing & diagnosing the router itself.
How many customers jumped ship to other ISP without a full diagnostic procedure
How many customers have not used their supplied TG582n & keep it for backup purposes only
How many customers just put up with the same / similar issue(s) & not report them
How many customers use the phone as opposed to the forum to report the same / similar issue(s)
How many customers have had to buy their own router due to same / similar issue(s) on the TG582n
@ejs (Are you afraid your TG582n will have the same / similar issue(s) therefore yours could also go unreported)
In other words how many has been reported & dis-missed & or gone unreported ?Huh
If one was to say purchase a 2nd hand NON USB router took the time & effort to solder a USB PORT & apply the USB Firmware then it will work as the originally supplied USB TG582n router
That said why are there so many TG582n's on famous auction websites ?Huh
Yes I know there are also many from other ISP's
Which clarifies to me that there are an escalation of many TG582n's that are yet to be reported / tested & the owner(s) wants rid so make a few £££ to cover their costs for a new router, rather than chuck them int bin
It is also clear that these issues have been known since earlier firmware(s) over 2 years
CUSTOMER RELEASE NOTE Main Track Release R8.4.5 Maintenance 3
Therefore I urge PlusNet to
Either
1. Put pressure on Technicolor to completely overhaul the TG582n once & for all
2. Have a different router supplied
Or
3. Change supplier
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Have you ever switched on your TG582n & used it for any reasonable period of time ?Huh

The 582n is not allowed anywhere near my phone line since: https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116195.msg1003938.html#msg1003938
In fairness, no I haven't used it for a long time, I've used it for a short time and the 582n couldn't cope with my line / environment problems as well as my netgear does. My netgear seems to put up with my line fairly well, e.g. this graph was yesterday (errors numbers are errors in last 10 seconds), featuring REIN and SHINE, the netgear just deals with it rather than promptly surrendering or deciding it's too good to put up with it or whatever. The main reason I'm not using the 582n is due to its ADSL performance (or lack thereof).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I did have problems with the shipped firmware - there seemed to be something specific about the 20CN line I was on at the time which meant I had connection stability issues. Upgrading to 10.2.2.B cured it.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)