Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do to improve speed?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: What to do to improve speed?

Have you tried different channels for the wireless? It could be that you are on the same channel as someone else nearby. First off try channels 1,7 & 13 which minimise the overlap.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
aphemia
Dabbler

Not tried that yet.  There's only one other network that I can "see" but it's worth a go!  Thanks.
Earlier today I changed the setting on my router to switch if from "up to 270mbs) to "g & b", which on first review seems to have made a bit of a difference to the wireless speed.  I'm still having problems with erratic ping though....
I'll report back tomorrow after changing channels.
mapletree
Grafter

I strongly recommend using wired rather than wireless connection to your router.  If you don't want to run cables then homeplug networking is a good option.
aphemia
Dabbler

Thanks mapletree Smiley
I'm really hoping that my network issues are now sorted.  It was all pretty rock solid yesterday and my connection didn't drop at all!
Tonight (and for the rest of the week) comes the real test.  Now I've eliminated/isolated my network issues I need to see what speed I can get during peak evening times.
In terms of HomePlug Networking- I have thought about this as a method of optimising ping times.  Would something like this be sufficient?  http://www.faculty-x.net/homeplug%20value%20range.htm
mapletree
Grafter

I'm not familiar with these exact models but they should do the job just fine.
aphemia
Dabbler

Quote from: aphemia
Not tried that yet.  There's only one other network that I can "see" but it's worth a go!  Thanks.
Earlier today I changed the setting on my router to switch if from "up to 270mbs) to "g & b", which on first review seems to have made a bit of a difference to the wireless speed.  I'm still having problems with erratic ping though....
I'll report back tomorrow after changing channels.

Seems to have been better since I made this change.....not sure I fully understand why but :):):):):):)
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Really just for my information, the traceroutes almost all show a huge delay within the PlusNet Network between step 3 and 4. I agree that there is one traceroute where the delay between 3 and 4 is reasonable but it does not fit any sensible pattern so is probably just lucky chance. Surely, the bulk of the delay and loss is down to the PN network and playing with the wireless settings will help but its like trying to save money by not buying salt when you are still buying best steak! Does anyone disagree - if so please explain why.
For your information, I am on a wireless connection at the moment and have a maximum of 8ms on the first hop. Wired is faster but the convenience of wireless is immense.
Jim
shorty
Dabbler

From my limited experience I would suggest that you ask PlusNet what profile is in use for your service and whether it should be reset. As I understand it, this is what controls your speed between Plusnet's servers and your local exchange and looks to be the limiting factor for you going by your modem stats.
James
Grafter

@aphemia
Changing wireless channels can often help.  the reason is that sometimes other devices nearby are using the same signal type that your wireless router uses, causing interference.  Changing the channel means that you're eliminating that interference and thus improving your wireless connection.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

welcome shorty.  you dont have to ask, just click https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed