cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do about a leaning telegraph pole?

stuartwalker
Grafter

What to do about a leaning telegraph pole?

The pole outside my house is leaning against my wall. The pole didn't used to lean when we moved in 4 years ago but it's now pressing against my front wall.
I mentioned this to the engineer who visited today. He explained that the pole was originally an electricity pole though the electric equipment must have been removed many years ago. Only telephone wires to 4 houses remain.
I think that it's unlikely that the pole will fall down but I am concerned about damage that it may cause to my wall in time.
14 REPLIES 14
petertaylor
Dabbler

Re: What to do about a leaning telegraph pole?

i'd be tempted to either call BT, or your insurance company for advice.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Insurers would probably provoke a reaction from Openreach....
We had an electricity pole replaced on our boundary a few years ago and the new one, just a metre from the old one, was set at a "jaunty angle".
The engineers doing the work said it was within "normal tolerances", which as it's nearly 10 degrees off vertical must be quite loose.  Lips_are_sealed
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I can't say how your phone provider could handle this situation. From experience however if it was us we'd raise a 'damage report' which phone suppliers are usually quick to act on. If this is causing damage to your property and is the property of your phone supplier there should be some urgency from their side in dealing with this in my personal opinion.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/home.do
and
Web: www.openreach.co.uk
Openreach installs, services, supports and maintains the wiring, fibres and connections which link tens of millions of homes and businesses in Britain to their Communications Providers' networks. 
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'd add that you can only use the above link if BT are your phone supplier.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You could sell postcards.
The leaning pole of ...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

itsme
Grafter

Did you think to look in the telephone directory? 0800 023 2023
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

again.....only work's if you're a BT customer.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
itsme
Grafter

Would not have thought so as it's a number to report damage to BT street furniture.
stuartwalker
Grafter

I reported to BT openreach and they've already been around. Prompt!
Quite frankly the engineer seemed unconcerned. It is no immediate danger to anyone or anything. If it cracks my wall then it'll have to be an insurance claim.
The poles are on cyclic replacement lists. This one is very old so it should be on the list already. It will be pushed up the list.
artificer
Grafter

get the council involved if you're worried.  they will push the owner to do something about it.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: stuartwalker
It is no immediate danger to anyone or anything. If it cracks my wall then it'll have to be an insurance claim.

It will be disallowed as it was "a gradually operating hazard" plus you will have to pay the excess.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

If it is leaning in a public place/road talk to your local council.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: stuartwalker
If it cracks my wall then it'll have to be an insurance claim.

If the property of Openreach causes damage to your property, especially after you have reported your concern and an engineer has been out to inspect, then it should NOT be an insurance claim (not on your part anyway), it should be a straightforward claim for damages against Openreach (though your insurance company might handle this for you depending on the cover you have), you should not be out of pocket for any excess or premium increase as a result as all costs should be recovered from the offending party.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.