cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the point?

wacky17
Grafter

Re: What's the point?

Ok its been three days since i was put on the adsl2 now and things are starting to move long now. I have done a sped test today and these are the resolutes....

@esseff So yes there is a point in moving over to adsl2 in your respect.
esseff
Grafter

I just wish PN wouldn't state in their line checker results that my estimated ADSL2 speed will be up to 9MB when clearly it should be so much more.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I understand the frustration, however it's worth noting that the estimates aren't created by us. They are pulled from a BTw database depending on the length of your line, so most other providers would give the same estimate for your circuit.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
esseff
Grafter

I understand.
But considering that I sync at 8128 on ADSL, how do they decide this 'up to 9mb' figure represents what my experience will be like? I know OFCOM say a line speed check must be given, but if it's so conservative as to be unrealistic, how would it help a 'normal' user evaluate what package to choose?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What is the estimated speed shown for ADSL Max on your line?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
esseff
Grafter

7mb - which is pretty much what I get.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

They estimate 7 and you sync at 8.
Plusnet: This user seems to be unhappy with the idea of not getting the estimated speeds - please could you restrict his current speeds to the typical rate for someone syncing at 7M.  Tongue
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
esseff
Grafter

Very funny. They estimate 7 and I get 6.5 in real terms.
Yet again you miss the point. I'm not unhappy with my current setup. I'm unhappy with being told that when I upgrade to 21CN my speed will only increase by a small amount when in all likelihood it will be far more. I currently have a package where I get line speed for everything but peer to peer up to 4pm which only then becomes peak. At the moment the majority of my downloads are conducted through download sites, which, under the new 21CN, start to get restricted from 8am, and by 9 will be at a lower rate than I currently get on ADSL. In reality, I'd only get to see the ADSL2 speed increase between 12 and 8 in the morning. So, perhaps you can understand why I'd be a little concerned to lose my extended off-peak and rely on downloading those files I need during the night instead, if my actual speed wasn't going to at least double to make up for it.
Blackcurrant
Dabbler

Hi esseff
have a look at your modems modulation type
ADSL2 Auto (g992.3)only uses 256bin = 9meg ish (it did last time i looked on my modem)
ADSL2+ (g992.5) 512bin = a lot faster
bet thats all that needs doing for a better sync speed, you may need BT/Plus net to set SNRM to 6db etc
then BT/ Plus net need to remove any data flow limits / banding pish etc., then you'll go like a bat out of hell
hth  Smiley
Grafter

If you thought wacky17 gets a good connection, have a look at recent results extract from BT speedtester I have achieved - I wish!
David_W
Rising Star

Package from 4pm-midnight peak?  Sounds like the old Premier (that I'm on).  When my exchange gets converted to ADSL2 I *should* double my download speeds so instead of 6-800k/sec I'll be on 1.2m-1.6m/sec, but will stick with ADSL rather than ADSL2 as I don't want to lose the package I'm on.  The way I see it, during 4pm-midnight I don't use 20gb/month and at most peak/off peak I'll use up to 60Gb/month but I like being able to do stuff before 4pm (currently downloading Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate Beta 2) on the 80Gb package I'd currently be restricted to *less* than line speed so I see absolutely no point in upgrading my speed if I end up being capped during the times I want to use my connection.
Think about it, on my current package from 4pm-midnight my ADSL download speeds are equal to or faster than ADSL2 download speeds.  Having double the headline speed but half the actual speed doesn't appeal to me really 😕
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Due to the history of overestimation and hype regarding broadband in general I sincerely beieve that BT is now estimating the minimum it can pretty much guarantee (so it will not be accused of misleading the public with unrealistic expectations), unless there are some very strange problems on your line you are almost certain to get some very good speeds on ADSL2+, using BT's 'worst estimate' you'll still see an increase, in reality you can expect around double what you have now (give or take a bit either way).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.