cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's happening with BT?

Snarf
Grafter

Apparently my target SNR was changed 3 days ago (to 6dB which it was a few months ago), yet I still seem to be connecting at 14-15dB SNR Margin (which usually results in a connection speed of around 2100kbps to 2300kbps). THe latest BT speedtest indicates:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  2272 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1343 kbps
which is pretty poor when I used to be able to connect at over 3000kbps.
I've been rebooting the router around once a day, but never seen a better speed. How long should this take (seeing as the training period is only supposed to last 10 days)? I am getting the distinct feeling that I may end up with the same speed at the end of the training period as at the beginning...  Cry
17 REPLIES 17
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Target SNR

The training period only occurs when you are first changed to ADSL Max. Having your IP profile or min SNR changed does not start another 10 day test period, those changes act on your connection immediately they are changed.
Not all SNR target changes are successful as changing the SNR does not fix whatever caused it to go higher in the first place. If the cause is still there, the exchange will up the target SNR again automatically, just like it did previously.
If you are still syncing at 15dB then either the target SNR has not been changed (happens quote often even when BT say they have changed it) or the same fault has caused it to be reset higher again.
Snarf
Grafter

Re: Target SNR

This is a quote from my current ticket:
"As per the call to you today, BT ahve advised to us that they have performed the change requested. At the same time, a 10 day Max retrain period has occured, which has resulted in a slightly slower speed at this time.
As it is within the retain period, service should icnrease as the service settles over the remain 8 day period."
So either once again BT haven't initiated (I know PN have chased them hard), or something else is going on?
Snarf
Grafter

My ticket (23831402) has numerous updates with PN staff attempting to get the target SNR changed on my line, but each time nothing seems to happen and they need to chase BT to initiate the change. Do BT just not want to make the change? Is it too much hassle for them? The last time they were supposed to have changed it was 31st Jan, yet yesterday PN had to chase it again (despite supposedly being told it had been changed)
All very frustrating  Angry
Not applicable

Re: What's happening with BT?

Its been a real pain to get these done for some time now - it took James a number of attempts to get mine changed last year.
Sadly the only thing you can really do is be thankful that PN are chasing it for you, and hopeful that BT will pull their fingers out soon.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I've got the same problem here snarf.
James has been trying to get mine done for a couple of weeks too, the last update on my ticket was last week and James said that BT had ignored the first request and he had submitted it again.
I'm annoyed with this situation - not with PN, but with BT. As far as I'm concerned it was they that created my problem, only they can put it right, and if they don't put it then there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it...
James
Grafter

The biggest problem is that we have no functionality to get it changed easily, mainly down to the fact that BT don't allow us any configuration on the line aside from interleaving and speed.
This means that we have to raise it as a fault, when it isn't, it's a configuration change.  Their automation then kicks in and runs standard checks on the line which finds no fault, because there isn't one.
It's only when you get someone in diags to actually read the request that something gets done.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I hope you realise that we aren't having a pop at you James, nor at PN and I do understand that you are trying to change something that there is no change path for.
On the other hand, isn't BT's automated equipment supposed to deal with this to enable our lines to run at the fastest stable speed it can find?
I had been led to believe that following a fault which increased the margin, that after 30 days the automated systems would bring it back down if the line remained stable. In my case, the line has been rock solid, as it was before my problem at the end of November, which I'm still convinced was caused by the actions of BT in the village.
Do we have any other recourse to get the 'problem' fixed?
James
Grafter

Hi Phil,
I totally get that you weeen't having a go at us, I was just trying to outline why there is a problem in getting these kind of requests done.
I'm sorry that I have rather neglected your ticket, but I'll run a couple of tests and see where we are with BT.
brianex121
Grafter

Some years back, BT had a great reputation for professionalism.  Now, with their mainly commercial attitude to business - and not paying so much attention to  the "small"  (I mean individual) customer, it seems to have lost its edge...
Has Plus Net not pushed for their PR people to become informed since surely someone cares about image these days, or the comms. ombudsman?
James
Grafter

Hi Brian,
We do meet with our account managers within BT Wholesale on a periodic basis where we do feed back with any issues that have been affecting us.
We have raised the SNR issue, but it's unlikely that anything is going to happen without a significant rewrite of their faults systems.
chillypenguin
Grafter

mod:note
I have merged two threads on the same subject by the same OP into a single thread.
Jonathan
aka Chilly
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Snarf
Apparently my target SNR was changed 3 days ago...
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  2272 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)

Are you sure it is just the SNR target that has been changed? You are connected at exactly 2272kb/s, which is EXACTLY the 2Mb speed, I suspect you have been put on the fixed 2Mb MaxDSL profile ... this is a guess on my part and is something PN could confirm if you ask them.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
James
Grafter

Nah, it's actually the adsl1750 profile (as reported by Actuate, one of BTs systems).
Mand
Grafter

Hi,
Godsell, the account is definitely still on Max, you can tell this by the different upload speed and the fact that they have an IP profile assigned, this is not necessary on fixed rate IPStream.
snarf, we've re-raised the fault for you and will chase BT to confirm this.