cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What router comes with plusnet?

iambatman
Dabbler

What router comes with plusnet?

I need to upgrade my router, what is the model that plusnet now use?
and how do I get one?, I didn't ask for one when I first joined
24 REPLIES 24
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: What router comes with plusnet?

We supply the Technicolor TG582n for both fibre and ADSL, you should be able to order one if you upgrade to one of our new products? If those don't tempt you or you're on one of them already just raise a ticket to our support team at http://contactus.plus.net and we'll be able to arrange that with you (or better still call in, as you'll need a credit or debit card to pay for the delivery charge).
Hope that helps.
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Thank you for asking that question since I'm in the same position.
There are a lot of bad reviews for that particular router at Amazon - refer http://www.amazon.co.uk/Technicolour-TG582n-Port-Wireless-Router/dp/B005ELFTH4 - should I instead buy a decent one?
For example PC Pro magazine suggests the Asus RT-N56U and Amazon's reviews of that are pretty good - http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-N56U-Wireless-Hardware-streaming/dp/B004TPWRSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=computer...
... but then I'd be paying about £74 more than having a Plusnet one.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

It depends whether or not you are going to use wireless with the Technicolor router. PN supplied me with 2 before I gave up & bought the Asus RT-N56U. It's absolutely brilliant, particularly the 5Ghz channel. I have no loss of speed whatsoever, 1 floor down & 2 rooms away or even next door in my neighbours house! It was very eay to set up. I'm not technically minded but the functions within the router are very easy to use with excellent instructions within the GUI.
Firmware updates are very easy to install. I highly recommend this router.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the response. I will be using wireless and do have solid walls throughout the house not flimsy plasterboard...
flaminmoses
Grafter

yeah the rt-n56u is a decent one.
had it for a while beofre i updated to the ac66u the other day.
might be worth going for the ac though if you intend to use the ac wireless when it starts to kick in.
also the 1gig wan port will future proof it even further.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Whoops - only just realised reading the reviews that the Asus RT-N56U doesn't include a modem...
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

When I was connected to fibre in October Openreach supplied & fitted  the modem.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@iambatman
Are you needing a modem/router or a router? In other words are you on ADSL(2+) or Fibre?
apjashley1
Grafter

The TG582n is actually a decent bit of kit, after some tinkering on telnet I've got 2 SSIDs, an isolated guest network and a higher clock speed
DougChandler
Dabbler

Hi,
When are PlusNet likely to supply a VDSL (fibre) modem router like they do for ADSL (broadband)?
I don't want two devices (modem and router) sitting next to each other using two power sockets, nor do I want to buy one and bin the one supplied.
There would be no need for an engineer to visit if they supplied a modem router.
I'm not likely to switch to fibre until I get supplied with a modem router.
Thanks,
Doug
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: DougChandler
When are PlusNet likely to supply a VDSL (fibre) modem router like they do for ADSL (broadband)?

If/when the product becomes self install. ADSL was similar in it's early days in that installations were carried out by BT engineers.
There would be no need for an engineer to visit if they supplied a modem router.

You'd need to sort the filtering out yourself. Openreach engineers install a fitted faceplate as well as supplying the VDSL modem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

flaminmoses
Grafter

a question regarding the HG612 modem.
from what ive been reading they are set to handle 40mb download and 10mb upload.....with capabilities to handle faster speeds.
now i upgraded to the faster speeds and my gameing has become worse than when i was on the 40mb service.
bops2 and fifa are clearly worse.
could it be that this modem isnt set proeprly to handle the higher speeds???
jheenan
Grafter

Hi,
I don't want two devices (modem and router) sitting next to each other using two power sockets, nor do I want to buy one and bin the one supplied.
I'm not likely to switch to fibre until I get supplied with a modem router.

I think it's technically a requirement somewhere to use the BT supplied router, although obviously some people don't. It might be significant if you ever had to report a fault though.
You're probably better off getting fibre when it does require an engineer visit - that means you get an engineer visit, a proper BT faceplate, potentially a free master socket move if necessary/requested/BT guy is in a good mood, a checkup of your internal wiring, and (sometimes?) they also do a line test to confirm you're going to get something close to the predicted speed.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: flaminmoses
could it be that this modem isnt set proeprly to handle the higher speeds???

Doubt it. I'm running 80Mbps down and 20Mbps up using the same modem on one of my lines.
Quote from: JosephH
I think it's technically a requirement somewhere to use the BT supplied router, although obviously some people don't. It might be significant if you ever had to report a fault though.

Just keep the modem to hand so you can swap it back in if necessary. My other line has a Technicolor TG799vn v2 on the end of it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵