Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What on earth is going on ???

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What on earth is going on ???

I had banding removed and SNR set back to 6db. This morning I checked and my SNR is back up to 9db. There had been no disconnections and no excess errors. I keep a very sharp eye on the stats so what on earth is going on? Getting a bit fed up now. 

15 REPLIES 15
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: What on earth is going on ???

DLM has upped your SNR target I'm afraid.

The meantime between errors on your line is quite low which is most likely the cause.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
glloyd
Rising Star

0.46 CRC errors a minute are hardly high. When the line is tested your blokes say there is no problem,

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What about the Errored Seconds count? The MTBE is calculated from the Errored Seconds, and other types of error, particularly HEC, would make an errored second.

glloyd
Rising Star

My connection used to last for hundreds of days and speeds were nearly 17 meg so something aint right and I've done every test and changed hardware several times.

Negotiated Connection Properties

Receive Direction Send Direction
Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 24384 1280
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 160 32
Attainable throughput kbit/s 13671 1056
Current throughput kbit/s 13653 1052
Seamless rate adaptation   off off
Energy-saving mode L2 off    

Latency   8 ms 6 ms
Impulse Noise Protection (INP)   1.1 0.3
G.INP   off off

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 9 6
Bitswap   off off
Line attenuation dB 27 14
Power reduction dB 1 0

Carrier record   A43 A43

Error Counter

Seconds With Not Remediable Errors (CRC)
  Errors (ES) Many
Errors (SES)
per
Minute
Last
15 Minutes
FRITZ!Box 15 0 0.04 0
Central exchange 166 0 0.45 10

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Do those counts get reset when it reconnects?

glloyd
Rising Star

Yes.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I don't know if your line always used to have interleaving enabled, I'd guess not because it's a short line, but it's got interleaving now, and that plus the increased SNRM may enable a lot of errors to be corrected. Or it could simply be that whatever issue was present earlier is not present right now.

glloyd
Rising Star

Up to 20th Nov I have a good steady line. Then I started to get disconnects after it had rained and when we used the phone C/S answer to the problem was to put interleaving on, raise the SNR and band the line. Then test the line when it was dry and say there is nothing wrong so  they can't report a fault. This is the worse service I have had in over 13 years and had I not just agreed to another year I would be off

glloyd
Rising Star

Getting silly now. Now banding has been put on why I don't know I have been monitoring the connection and there has only ever been very few errors. Now my upload speed has been cut. I'm seriously thinking of cutting my losses and move to an ISP who can get the problem fixed.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

The trouble is, if the line test doesn't show a fault, and Plusnet book an engineer anyway, then that engineer visit would likely cost Plusnet if the engineer doesn't find any fault. The circumstances under which Plusnet would bill you for the engineer visit seem to be only loosely related to when Plusnet get charged, and the £65 is less than what it would cost Plusnet.

glloyd
Rising Star

Well there has to be a problem with something if there are no disconnects and just a few errors if Interleaving, banding and SNR increased but who the hell can you get to look into it properly now? The C/S bloke I spoke to on the phone did not appear to know what he was talking about and the help line is no better. Roll on Virgin expansion to this area.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Evidently the DLM's assessment of your line's performance does not match your own assessment from looking at your own stats.

Any faults agent should be able to look at the data of the line's performance as collected by the DLM from the RRT Historic Data / RRT Graphs. Details of what's available from the BTWholesale diagnostic tools are in the PDFs online.

glloyd
Rising Star

That's ok if they understand what they are seeing. Last time the agent argued with me there was no banding on the line when there was. I happening to be monitoring the connection last night when it disconnected and banding was put on. There had been just 6 CRC errors if 15 minutes. I've had far more than that in the past with no problems.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

The DLM will be basing it's decision on all data gathered over the previous few days, not on only the last 15 minutes.

You can wait until a member of Plusnet staff replies to this thread, but you'll probably still need to raise a fault if you don't already have one open.