Grafter

Re: What is the master socket

this is the Kitz bit
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: rongtw
but from what i read on the forum is that 90% of problems are due to this socket

No, 90% of problems are due to the internal telephone extension wiring.  If this has been done correctly (which is by no means always the case) then the extensions are wired to the removable part of the faceplate and removing the faceplate cuts off all the telephone extension sockets. 
,, i must admit that my own has never been connected in the original socket , and is perminantly in the test socket , so bascially i have a half open socket .

If you can take the bit you removed and throw it across the room then it was unnecessary to remove it and you might as well put it back.  If you cannot throw it across the room because it is attached to some wires then removing it served a purpose but it is likely that somewhere in your dwelling there is at least one telephone extension socket that doesn't work any more.
the point is ,, Why dont BT fit a socket where removing half of it becomes unneccssary  ???.

These days they do - but only in a new build or when they have reason to replace the old master socket.  BT also supplies its broadband clients with something called a "broadband accelerator" (formerly "iPlate") http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25075&s_cid=btb_FURL_... which should overcome most problems caused by bad internal telephone wiring.  So the good question is: why don't Plusnet supply the "Broadband Accelerator"?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

ReedRichards , i have no wires attached to my faceplate all i have is , BB modem & a phone connected to the filter into the test socket , as requsted to do by PN  Wink .so in my case this is not doing me any better than pluging direct in the faceplate ?
the reason i stated 90% was that everyone is automatically asked to connect to the test socket , if they have any problems , which in some setups does not help ,,, when in fact it is only there to remove any internal wireing from the test socket am i correct ?
so surely before PN ask you to connect  to the test socket they should ask if you have any extension lines into your socket ?
PS BT broadband excelerator is expensive £90 to gain 0.5 mg speed boost  Cheesy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

ReedRichards , i have no wires attached to my faceplate all i have is , BB modem & a phone connected to the filter into the test socket , as requsted to do by PN  Wink .so in my case this is not doing me any better than pluging direct in the faceplate ?

No, in your case you can replace the faceplate. 
PS BT broadband excelerator is expensive £90 to gain 0.5 mg speed boost  Cheesy

I don't know where you do your shopping.  The BT "Broadband Accelerator" is supplied at a nominal handling charge to BT Broadband customers.  It costs £8.89 here http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-iplate---bt-broadband-accelerator-58LT.html and I presume the bt.com address means this is a genuine BT shop.
WWWombat
Grafter

It isn't just the internal wiring that gets disconnected, it is the faceplate too - which has also been known as a source of faults.
The demarcation point is the test socket - and if faults exist with that alone, then everyone can be sure they have done sufficient tracing, after router & cable checks, to *know* the problem lies on the BT side.
That is the problem I have with the external NTE - that it makes it impossible for the customer to test back to the demarcation point, or disconnect internal wiring. That guarantees the need for a BT engineer, and greatly increases the chances of being charged.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are now talking about two different things !
'ReedRichards' is talking about a filtered faceplate that replaces a standard master socket.
'rongtw' is talking about the service that BT offered a couple of years ago where a BT engineer visits and optimizes customers equipment.
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/accessories/bt-broadband-accelerator-half-a-meg-faster-or-your-cash-back-492...
BT sells broadband to millions of people in the UK and realises it can all be rather difficult, especially if you're over 50 and think a router is a special kind of pig. Happily, it offers a bunch of home IT support services to keep you consuming the Internets, the latest of which is the Broadband Accelerator. Simply put, you pay £90 for an engineer to come and make your Web go faster and if he fails to improve it by half a meg (0.5Mbps), you get your money back.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: purleigh
'ReedRichards' is talking about a filtered faceplate that replaces a standard master socket.

[pedant] BT I-Plate actually  Wink [/pedant]
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: 4C
[pedant] BT I-Plate actually   Wink [/pedant]

[Oneupman] No, BT rebranded their "I-Plate" as a "Broadband Accelerator".[/oneupman]
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: ReedRichards
[Oneupman] No, BT rebranded their "I-Plate" as a "Broadband Accelerator".[/oneupman]

Why was that were Apple suing them  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra