cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the future for Plusnet 20CN ADSL connections ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the future for Plusnet 20CN ADSL connections ?

Over on "RevK's rants" blog, there is an interesting discussion regarding how the ISP 'AAISP' should proceed in the coming months regarding the ongoing provision of broadband to customers on 20CN ADSL connections.

The point being made is that it now costs 'AAISP' much more to provide 20CN broadband than customers are currently charged, and more than customers would likely be willing to pay, so are asking for ideas and opinions on what should they do.

Link to the discussion and comments - 'The 20CN dilemma...'

Are Plusnet facing the same issue, or do they have 'special' pricing with BT ?

Shocked

4 REPLIES 4
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: What is the future for Plusnet 20CN ADSL connections ?

I for one would be very interested in a Plusnet response.  Currently on a 20CN only exchange (EABDF) where there are NO extant plans for an upgrade date.  The dates for review keep slipping backwards - now 2017, but 2019 being mooted as more realistic.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Don't forget the update 20CN Reprieve?

After reading that I had a little look around, comparing prices for our line which is Market A 20CN with our previous house which is Market A but 21CN.  As far as I can see only Zen Internet charges different prices.  From that I suspect that either the larger player like Plusnet must be absorbing the price difference, or at a larger scale maybe there is no difference.

Would be interesting to see a statement from Plusnet on the matter.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If there are any 20CN exchanges in Market B, those ones would incur the highest wholesale costs.

Plusnet do their pricing bizarrely, with their Market A and B prices also applied to 21CN and FTTC, which does not seem to be based on wholesale cost differences. This has been done to death previously.

The problem of it becoming uneconomic to provide would be the same for anything with a very small number of end users. No-one is going to be paying 76 * 48.55 = £3,689.50 per month ex. VAT for every FTTC customer who's receiving the full 76Mbps, the whole thing only works because the ISP only has to provide enough bandwidth knowing that most end users aren't using very much bandwidth most of the time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems to me that Ofcom should force year-on-year price lowering on 20CN connections, so that BT has an incentive to upgrade everyone to a minimum of 21CN ADSL2.

Ofcom should also now do away with the 'market' pricing, as it is no longer relevant on FTTC exchanges, and the time has passed for the alternative provider incentive to still be effective on ADSL exchanges.