Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best time to resync

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: What is the best time to resync

Well good luck with that. The differences between the attenuation on the 2 modem/routers isn't indicative of a specific problem, it's down to the way each measures the attenuation. Which is most accurate? - Well the results of a Delta report or line test run by Plusnet could tell you that.
Ah. now that sync speed is better, but your line is still under performing for some reason. I'll post some ideas later.
Run the BT speedtester, to check your current IP profile.
I've added an edit to that post I referred you to, about clicking Connect may be necessary after powering up, but another that could be useful to you is using the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop if you are having problems with ping times and another Gateway may be better.
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks Jojo, I received the Technicolour today, I have put it on with the new filters and adsl cable, the stats are the same apart from the attenuation has gone up from , Belkin 29, Thomson 31.5, Technicolour 33.5. So your guess is as good as mine as to why they all show different and which is the correct one  Smiley
Internet browsing seems to be a lot quicker with the technicolour though which is good, I will have a go at gaming tonight and see how it goes.
One thing that bugs me about the Technicolour though is there is no place to save your log in details when you open up 192.168.1.254.  So you have to put them in everytime  Roll_eyes

Uptime:0 days, 3:48:47
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1.171 / 10.747
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 9,47 / 151,42
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12,6 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:18,2 / 33,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:6,0 / 5,7
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):9 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):-
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):186 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):21 / 197
HEC Errors (Up/Down):7 / 862
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your time. Let's know how you get on with it this evening. Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

The only other thought I had at this point was that when you had your 12M odd sync speeds some 6 weeks ago, your noise margin may have been nearer 3dB rather than the 6dB that it is now. If things are stable it may go back to 3dB and so your sync speed will improve.
I presume you know all about the bell-wire and it's associated problems and that's sorted?
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks for the call yesterday Jojo, I didn't get to have a gaming session last night so hopefully I can give you some feedback tonight.
Anotherone, I have looked back through some of my line stats and I do have one from the Belkin @ 12500+ sync with a DL noise margin of 4, I remember I used to get quite a few disconnects as the DL noise went down to 2 of a night time but it seems pretty stable for the last year sitting at both up and down noise of 5, 6 and sometimes 7.
I removed the bell wire a few years back but thanks for the reminder. At the moment (BT fitted me a new face plate for the master socket when they put the drop wire in about 6 months ago) I have one extension cable attached behind the face plate with the 2 wires on number 2 and 5. This goes to a normal extension  box which has a filter then the ADSL cable to my base phone. I have another 2 phones (just needing power) that run off the base phone., BT graphite trio. I have a filter in the master socket face plate with a 2 metre adsl cable going to my router at the bottom of the stairs. I then have a 10 metre CAT 6 cable going from the router to my computer.
I have a question, is it better to have the setup like I have with the 2 bare extension wires going straight into the master socket behind the face plate, or is it better to have an extension cable with a RJ45 on the end and have this going into the filter that comes out of the face plate.
Anotherone
Champion

As you have it.
Don't use telephone extension cables (except perhaps between a corded phone and it's filter) never between the wall socket and a filter, they are a source of interference pickup because they aren't twisted pair and generally have all 4 wires connected (ie inc.the bell wire).
As long as the cable from the Master socket faceplate to any extension sockets is to spec.CW1308 as used by BT you shouldn't have a problem if only the 'Blue/white trace' and 'White/blue trace' wires are used and connected to terminals 2 & 5.
Never use filters that look like solid splitter blocks, they are inferior quality. Always use a quality "rat's-tail" type ie. the type that's come with your 582n.
HTH.
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks Anotherone, my setup seems to be spot on with the rat tailed filters and the twisted pair. I will check my extension socket though becuase from memory it was an el cheapo from a supermarket.
Jojo, I had a few rounds last night on BF3 and even though my web browsing seems quicker, there was no noticable difference in gaming. The only difference noticable is the technicolour has a higher ping than the Belkin. Example, All my favourite servers are saved because they have a 12 ping, now though they all have a 15 ping. No big deal but that is the only difference I can see.
The technicolour, like my Belkin seems to be stable with the only disconnects being me rebooting trying to get back up to 12500+ sync from the10700 I think it is at the moment.
JamesM
Grafter

I have just done a reset after 3 and a half days connected and it looks like the highest sync speed I can get with the technicolour is 10747 as against 12500+ with the Belkin.

Uptime:0 days, 0:06:16
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1.159 / 10.747
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]:561,41 / 3,68
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12,8 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:18,0 / 33,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:6,0 / 5,9
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):-
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):6 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):1 / 6
HEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 29
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I see the attenuation is 33dB. Do you still get the 29dB with the Belkin?
JamesM
Grafter

Yes, Jojo, 29 with the Belkin and 31 with the Thomson. Just different chipsets I guess.
Although the Technicolour has dropped form 33.5 to 33.0  Wink
Anotherone
Champion

Firmware will also play a role in that - maybe Jojo can tell you what the real attenuation is from a line test  Wink
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's showing as 33dB at the moment Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for that Jojo, was almost the answer I expected  Wink
JamesM
Grafter

After a week or so of using the Technicolour with no drops in connection, I know my line is stable. So I put my Belkin back on. Sync speed rose from 10.7 to 11.1, Plusnet current line speed fell from 10.7 to 9.7.
JamesM
Grafter

Any chance of getting my PN profile 0f 9.7 raised to match my sync speed of 11.
Thanks.