cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best time to resync

JamesM
Grafter

What is the best time to resync

I have had a steady 12500+ sync for ages, I then resynced to get onto a better gateway as the one I was on was getting congested in the evening. Now I can't seem to crack 10500 sync speed. So my speed has dropped from 10800+, down to 9200. I know this doesn't seem much to the hundreds out there who are getting way less than me, but I can't understand why I can't get back to 12500+. Do different gateways give different speeds? I am resyncing every 3 days in the morning but it will not go up. Disconnecting the router, and then either a hard reboot at the mains, or a soft reboot through resetting the router in the router settings.
On another note, I have just noticed there is white paint outside my next door neighbours house, it is marking out a square about the size of a green cabinet. Does anybody know how long from the paint going down to me getting fibre  ::).
Thanks for reading.
52 REPLIES 52
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: What is the best time to resync

usually I reboot only after 8am and latest of 6pm if I have had a low IP profile to get it refreshed higher.  But you don't need to resync to gateway hop, look for Drop PPP session or drop connection in your routers controls, then BT won't see a lost sync and lower your IP profile.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Any chance you could post your line stats from the router? That might give us a better idea regarding possible speeds. I'm afraid I'm unsure about the fibre as there's no date specified that I can find, though markings for the new cabinets to go in is a good sign.
JamesM
Grafter

Here you go Matt
Type  Interleave Path
  Status  SHOWTIME
                                          Downstream  Upstream  
  Data rate(Kbps)                  10483              1227
  Noise Margin                          6                      6
  Output power(dBm)             12                     20
  Attenuation(dB)                   29                     16
All I can get unfortunately from The Belkin
Thanks Gus, unfortunately though sometimes I just turn off my router without disconnecting so BT sees it as a lost sync and it comes back higher then if I disconnect in the router page so BT doesn't see it as a lost connection. I guess with this router, or my connection it just depends what mood my router is in  :-\.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's great, thanks. Odd that with an attenuation of 29dB (which is pretty good) you're not getting better speeds in all honesty. Is the router plugged into the master socket directly with no extensions, and are all the phones etc plugged in via microfilters?
JamesM
Grafter

Everything is set up Matt, microfilters etc. I have had it in and out of the master socket loads of times and it doesn't make a difference unfortunately, BT came and put in a new drop line down the side of my house and as far as I know the only disconnects I get now are when I reboot the router. I have tried a different router (Thomson 585) and that gives me worse speeds than the Belkin.
You upped my Plusnet IP to match my sync of 12500+ a couple of weeks back but I noticed today with the sync dropping and not going above 10500, the plusnet IP has dropped back down to 10.7.
JamesM
Grafter

I just put the Thomson back on to give me more stats, attenuation has gone up from 29 to 32.5, this is more in line with a 13000 sync, and sync has dropped to 9943. I give up.
Uptime:0 days, 0:53:38
DSL Type:
G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1,191 / 9,943
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:17.5 / 32.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:6.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):15 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down):15 / 72
HEC Errors (Up/Down):31 / 58

Edit : I just did a refresh and notice what has happened to the FEC,CRC and HEC UP errors, is this normal ?

Uptime:0 days, 0:58:57
DSL Type:G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1,191 / 9,943
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:17.5 / 32.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:5.5 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / IFTN
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 75
HEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 61
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sounds like that drop wire might have added the extra attenuation. I know you've had this issue for a while, and to be honest, I'm stumped.
JamesM
Grafter

I know you've had this issue for a while, and to be honest, I'm stumped

A few years now Jojo.
Sounds like that drop wire might have added the extra attenuation

Sorry Jojo I should have mentioned that the drop wire was put in over 8 months ago.
The attenuation only goes up when I put the Thomson router on Jojo, when I switch back to the Belkin the attenuation drops back down to 29.  Same as my Ping, it is 5 m/s when the Belkin is on but it goes up to 15m/s when the Thomson is on. If I can handle having the Thomson on for more than a day, I might try and leave it for a week and see what happens.  I first got the Thomson when I was switched to 21CN my ping in PC games went up to 999 which is why I couldn't use the Thomson and had to buy the Belkin.
Edit, I have tried about 10 differnt filters, 10 different ways to wire up the phone and router, 2 different routers and nothing seems to fix it, and BT wonder why I tell them to stop harrasing me when they phone up at 9 o'clock on a Friday night asking me to switch.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I don't want you to go to any expense but I'd be interested to see what a different make of router, other than the Belkin or Thomson, does. Don't bank on it but I'll put my feelers out and see if I can get my hands on one for you. Smiley
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks Jojo,
Don't bank on it but I'll put my feelers out and see if I can get my hands on one for you

No worries, I will leave it with you.
JamesM
Grafter

Just an update @24 hours with the Thomson
Uptime:0 days, 23:45:57
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:6.0 / 6.0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 1,203
HEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 972
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What happened to the attenuation figures in the last stats?
Have a read of this post I've just made on another thread.
JamesM
Grafter

My mistake Anotherone, the attenuation figures are the same as in the last 2 stats so I didn't bother copying and pasting them. Takes too much time to backspace all the stats to get them in line  Wink
I read your post, and I am going to put my Belkin back on now because the thomson is making my online gaming lag. Upnp is off but it makes no difference.
JamesM
Grafter

New stats with the Belkin back on,
Type  Interleave Path
  Status  SHOWTIME
                                          Downstream  Upstream 
  Data rate(Kbps)                  10745              1171
  Noise Margin                          6                      6
  Output power(dBm)            12                    20
  Attenuation(dB)                  29                    16