cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best forum - this or the user group

TJJ
Grafter

What is the best forum - this or the user group

What's the difference between this forum and the user group forum.
Is one better/more useful than the other?
Why have two?
Just asking.
18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: What is the best forum - this or the user group

That is a very good question.
Originally when the various Plusnet fora (forums?) were separate (e.g. PlusNet, Force 9, Metronet, etc.) there was a strong argument for having a forum where all the users could raise problems.
This is no longer the case but there is still an argument for having the Usergroup obviously separate from Plusnet control. It actually is but having the forum as part of this site could be seen to infer the opposite.
There is another very good reason for having it separate. There have been several occasions recently where the Plusnet site and forum have failed as they are on a common server set and then the Usergroup Forum is an ideal communication route - better than TBB in my opinion.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Oldjim
There is another very good reason for having it separate. There have been several occasions recently where the Plusnet site and forum have failed as they are on a common server set and then the Usergroup Forum is an ideal communication route - better than TBB in my opinion.

Not quite true.  The Community site servers and databases are on different bits of kit and spread across different locations, just like the portal servers.  In principle, the Community site should still be up if the portal is down. 
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Except it wasn't recently which was why problems were reported on TBB
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

There is a shared storage backend that is only really used for uploading images on the community site.  If that was down, the images just wouldn't display.  However, something funky happened that time which caused the servers to timeout.  Colin has more details.  Certainly shouldn't happen!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

What about the newsgroup forums - are they a mirror of these ones ?.
In general - I much prefer to use a newsreader such as forte Agent rather than a browser - as I am now - but have yet to explore the usernet PM groups.
Heloman
Grafter

The newsgroups are totally separate from the forums, Mal.
I personally much prefer newsgroups (I use Thunderbird, rather than OE, Agent etc. But they are all ok for usenet).
I find forums are like wading through treacle compared with usenet!
The best PN newsgroup to start with is plusnet.service.customer-feedback.
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Heloman
I personally much prefer newsgroups (I use Thunderbird, rather than OE, Agent etc. But they are all ok for usenet).
I find forums are like wading through treacle compared with usenet!

Agreed - there are Forums elsewhere ( Adobe )  that are linked to a news server - it would be REALLY helpful if these forums could do the same.
TJJ
Grafter

Comminity, user group, and now news group.
Now I am confused Grin
TJJ
Ianwild
Grafter

We did try having the newsgroups read into the forums at one point, but it didn't really work.
The problem with web forums like this one is that they have no concept of threading, whereas that is what a newsgroup is based on. it makes integrating the things near impossible. I still like reading newsgroups but find them inconvenient to dip into like I can a forum (I use the RSS on this forum a lot these days).
I do personally agree about the Usergroup and this forum having the potential to create some confusion and I think everyone I've spoken to in PUG would agree. On the other hand, there are advantages to too sets of forums and I can see why some people like having the choice. We're planning to update the forum structure on this site quite soon (provided the community agrees with the plan) and that will incorporate more of the Usergroup forum structure anyway. I'm selfishly excited about that as it hopefully means one less place to read and an easier way to organise my information.
Ian
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@Ian  if you think this wants a bit more discipline  you should try this
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: Ian
I still like reading newsgroups but find them inconvenient to dip into like I can a forum

What's inconvenient? With Ngs. every subject is immediately visible and easy to browse through, unlike forums which need considerable searching.
We used to get a number of PN staff contributing to the feedback Ng, including IIRC yourself!
But now it's been left to the ubiquitous Bob to deal with it single-handed. When he took his summer holiday, the whole group ground to a halt.
I get the impression that PN staff just prefer forums because they are web-based, rather than because they are better........
The inconvenience you mention is only because, gosh, it means switching to a newsreader 🙂
Be3G
Grafter

[me=Be3G]personally avoids newsgroups because of the users' propensity for wanting to argue about everything.[/me]
Heloman
Grafter

On usenet in general I would agree with you.
But in the PN groups which are only available to PN members, that just doesn't happen.
Have you tried them,or are you  guessing?
Why post in red?
Be3G
Grafter

I believe I've posted in them a couple of times. The post is in red because I used the '/me' command, e.g. '/me is tired.' typed on a new line becomes...
[me=Be3G]is tired.[/me]